Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Poor XM Reception  (Read 2840 times)

Ride2cusa

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

Poor XM Reception
« on: October 18, 2019, 05:05:41 PM »

I just took advantage of the three month free trial on Sirius XM Radio on a 2017 Electra Glide Limited CVO (I just discovered that the bike came with the Harley XM module installed).  Anyway, the XM signal seems to cut in and out whenever I'm riding hilly roads and when there is a lot of tree cover.

The XM radio in my car does not cut in or out, at all.

Is there a fix for this, like relocating the XM antenna, or buying a better XM antenna than the one that came with the Harley set-up?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
Re: Poor XM Reception
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 05:08:14 PM »

Relocate the antenna from inside the fairing to on top of the inner fairing coming between the gap at the fairing vent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 05:24:20 PM »

The problem can be caused by the location of the antenna (get it out in the open, not buried in the fairing), and it can also be affected by the size of the buffer built in to the system.  Downloaded content doesn't play immediately, it is sent to a storage buffer first.  That's what makes it possible to drive into a tunnel or a garage in your car and the satellite radio keeps playing for a small amount of time.  If the buffer is too small ( I don't know how small or large it is in the Harley system), riding in an area with a lot of trees could cause the system to cut in and out.  I don't know of any simple fix if the problem is due to buffer size.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »

I just took advantage of the three month free trial on Sirius XM Radio on a 2017 Electra Glide Limited CVO (I just discovered that the bike came with the Harley XM module installed).  Anyway, the XM signal seems to cut in and out whenever I'm riding hilly roads and when there is a lot of tree cover.

The XM radio in my car does not cut in or out, at all.

Is there a fix for this, like relocating the XM antenna, or buying a better XM antenna than the one that came with the Harley set-up?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

I relocated my antenna as Designflaw indicates and the reception improved considerably to the point where it’s similar to my trucks and cars. Prior to moving it, the signal dropouts were comically bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 05:54:55 PM »

as stated above … relocate antenna, and check the part number HD did update the antenna, but I think your 17 may have the better/updated one FYI. I got mine replaced under warranty, its a 2016. its better but not perfect 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »

Go to the XM site (or call them) and flash your signal. May not fix it, but also can't hurt.

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 08:48:35 PM »

Harley cheapened out with their XM module which only has about 2 seconds at best of buffer built into the chip. Auto manufacturers have at least a 20 second buffer.

Also, even though I don't care for the look of it, I moved the XM antenna outside the fairing to the right of the vent. Makes a huge difference with reception.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 10:30:38 PM »

I moved my antenna to the right of the vent, I used a small round file to cut a grove so the wire didn't get pinched but still snug.
Relocating the antenna puck made a huge improvement and really, it looks fine to me.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »

I have wondered if the metallic paints on the bikes affect reception. Automobiles have the antennas on the outside, Harleys are under the fairing. My friend has a vivid black streetglide and his reception is great. Mine is spotty as described elsewhere in this thread. I have the dash pouch so relocating is not easily feasible.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 07:47:02 AM »

I relocated the antenna to the outside of the inner fairing & reception improved greatly on my 2010.  The reception compared to my other vehicles was still poor probably due to the buffering issue.  My solution for 2017 was to try the 3 month trial, discover that the issue was not fixed, and then decide to use several USB with favorite MP3s recorded.  No skips, no drops, no talky DJs, and all songs are favorites plus I have an option to skip to the next track.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:30:10 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »

Couldn't agree more Iski! I use an Ipod with close to 800 of my favorite tunes set on shuffle and If I'm not in the mood for a certain song as it cues up I just hit next. Easy Peasy
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »

Good to listen to the music we like, Rayson!  Besides, no XM channel plays music ranging from Gene Autry to Stevie Ray Vaughan - but I have a USB that does.  ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Ride2cusa

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

Thanks for XM Help
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 07:34:42 PM »

Just a note to express my appreciation for those who responded to my earlier post about poor XM reception on my 2017 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO.  The advice was to relocate the XM antenna from inside the fairing to just behind the windshield to the right of the fairing vent.

I finally got around to doing that and it has made a world of difference in reception.  No more lost signals and the XM reception is now just as good as that in my Jeep Cherokee.

This location behind the windshield to the right of the fairing vent is perfect; there is just enough wire with the XM antenna to make the relocation an easy task.  I'm now a happy XM listener !!! 

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 09:51:19 PM »

XM may not have a single channel playing Gene Autry to Stevie Ray Vaughan but it does have one playing each of them (Personally I do not get Stevie Ray Vaughn). USB's or Ipods or whatever canned music also do not play NFL, NASCAR, talk radio or comedy. I have been a constant subscriber to XM for over 15 years, like it and would not do without it.

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 09:56:48 PM »

XM may not have a single channel playing Gene Autry to Stevie Ray Vaughan but it does have one playing each of them (Personally I do not get Stevie Ray Vaughn). USB's or Ipods or whatever canned music also do not play NFL, NASCAR, talk radio or comedy. I have been a constant subscriber to XM for over 15 years, like it and would not do without it.

Yes. We like listening to Brewer games while riding and terrestrial radio (or wireless streaming) doesn’t work well where we are. Oh, and Fox News...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.