Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley Future  (Read 2106 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Bill

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Harley Future
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 08:52:47 AM »

Harley has been focused on stockholders and not it's customer base for several decades.  Nothing happening here that I'm surprised about.

Harley style and technology advancement has been stagnet for a few years, the paint schemes just haven't been saying anything.
The MoCo hasn't been listening to it's customer base and it appears they've run in to a wall.  My 2013 CVO Ultra Classic is paid for and it runs just fine.  Left Sacramento yesterday, in Ely, Nev. today and in Grand Junction, Colo. by tomorrow.......no reason to look at a new bike.  Just nothing exciting coming out of the MoCo.

The new BMW B model and the Grand America model are both very, very promising.  I've taken both for extended test rides in the Sturgis/Black Hills area and technology wise are light years ahead of HD and these two new models of BMW are not hard to look at.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 09:04:50 AM »

Wandell was the first CEO HD brought in from the outside. He had a specific set of skills geared toward the stockholders. Harley’s problems didn’t happen overnight and they won’t be fixed overnight. I do like my current ride but I have some blood, sweat and tears in it too.

I’ve been wrong before  :drink:

I visited the local dealer to check out the Livewire, they're not an authorized dealer, closest is Jaxsonville FL for me.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 11:11:01 AM »

Harley has been focused on stockholders and not it's customer base for several decades.  Nothing happening here that I'm surprised about.

Harley style and technology advancement has been stagnet for a few years, the paint schemes just haven't been saying anything.
The MoCo hasn't been listening to it's customer base and it appears they've run in to a wall.  My 2013 CVO Ultra Classic is paid for and it runs just fine.  Left Sacramento yesterday, in Ely, Nev. today and in Grand Junction, Colo. by tomorrow.......no reason to look at a new bike.  Just nothing exciting coming out of the MoCo.

The new BMW B model and the Grand America model are both very, very promising.  I've taken both for extended test rides in the Sturgis/Black Hills area and technology wise are light years ahead of HD and these two new models of BMW are not hard to look at.
Your right. 28 year Harley rider, i bought a BMW K1600B, amazing bike. Love the power produced by the straight 6cyl.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »

If Harley continues in the direction they are now going, they are a prime candidate for a buyout. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »

If Harley continues in the direction they are now going, they are a prime candidate for a buyout.
Hope your wrong. Didn't work out the last time with AMF. My hope is for Harley to return to a privately held company. No stockholders to make happy. Reduce production too.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »

Hope your wrong. Didn't work out the last time with AMF. My hope is for Harley to return to a privately held company. No stockholders to make happy. Reduce production too.

If profitability is high that is a possibility.  If sales continue to drop - no reason to think they won't at this point - major stockholders will be looking for an out.  Buyout would be an easy way for them to cash out.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 04:31:08 PM »

Once they decided to go public all this was inevitable.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »

Once they decided to go public all this was inevitable.
When your a publicly traded company your number one responsibility is the shareholders. They tend to demand fast returns on investment. Forces the company to look for quick profits.

Harley would be a better company if privately held. They could downsize to meet actual demand rather than forcing sales with big rebates. Focus on quality, competitive motorcycles.

mark

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 09:50:47 PM »

When your a publicly traded company your number one responsibility is the shareholders. They tend to demand fast returns on investment. Forces the company to look for quick profits.

Harley would be a better company if privately held. They could downsize to meet actual demand rather than forcing sales with big rebates. Focus on quality, competitive motorcycles.

I agree...going private would remove the pressure from the stockholders.  However, if the buyout folks are looking to make a quick buck, that could be bad for the MoCo too.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »

I agree...going private would remove the pressure from the stockholders.  However, if the buyout folks are looking to make a quick buck, that could be bad for the MoCo too.
Your absolutely correct. Then there's the dealers that built zillion dollar dealerships, based on a projection of selling a high volume of bikes with big profit margins.

If there strategy is not successful dealers will go under quickly. Let's hope the MoCo pulls it off.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 08:34:39 AM »

Does Warren Buffett ride a Harley? He could turn things around.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »

Does Warren Buffett ride a Harley? He could turn things around.

I don't keep up with it now but Buffett has investment in eaglemark bank, HD's financial side.

need to get some of our role models riding Harleys and the sheep will flock to them, maybe

I guess that ship has sailed too  :drink:
Wut the hell was that maneuver

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 10:29:21 AM »

I don't keep up with it now but Buffett has investment in eaglemark bank, HD's financial side.

need to get some of our role models riding Harleys and the sheep will flock to them, maybe

I guess that ship has sailed too  :drink:
Remember when the movie Terminator or T2 came out? Dealers could not keep fat boys in stock. Everyone wanted to dress like and ride like Arnold, be a Terminator!

The number one group that effects Harley sales are the 1% clubs. The fact that they ride Harley's has a huge positive effect on Harley sales. In my opinion, Harley would be history if not for these clubs/riders.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.