Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: No audio at all?  (Read 1718 times)

fly

• AB

• CVO1: VRSCSE2 Scarlet Red Pearl
No audio at all?
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »

So I spark up the scoot to go for a ride this evening on what I suspect to be one of my last opportunities of the year, put on the helmet, jacket and gloves and turn on the tunes.  Hmmmm.  No sound at all.  No static, nada, nothing.  Try all audio sources and no sound at all.  The head unit displays fine and shows volume output and everything works as normal except it is silent.

I have 2600kms on the bike and was out yesterday and all was fine. Is there something obvious to check or did the amp just decide to pack it in like several others have experienced?

I also noticed a very slight oil leak from somewhere on the front of the motor near the oil filter.  Not enough to drip on the floor but on the last number of rides there were a few fine droplets on the heat shield of the front pipe near the floorboard.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: No audio at all?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »

Fly, There have been problems with the amp on these bikes. Under warranty they have been replacing the amp with a new model. You should have your local dealer check it out.

I had mine replaced a few months back and no longer have problems. Once the amp came in the dealer replaced it in about 20 minutes.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

fly

• AB

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:15:10 AM »

Thanks.  Kinda what I was expecting.  I checked the amp fuse which is fine and was hoping that there was something else simple to check.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »

You might try slowly turning on and off the ingition switch. I did this and the amp fired back up for another month.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »

I also noticed a very slight oil leak from somewhere on the front of the motor near the oil filter.  Not enough to drip on the floor but on the last number of rides there were a few fine droplets on the heat shield of the front pipe near the floorboard.

My bike "mists" oil out of the A/C like that, too. Very annoying for a new bike to do that - but the Harley big twins have always had those issues. I take the A/C off every few weeks to check the oil in it, and there is always oil there... Not much, but some. It's funny that oil mist coming out of the A/C can make its way down to where it does... I even have it on the FRONT header pipe heat shields, and down low on the front on the rear bracket master cylinder. It's not brake fluid, either... It's oil.

You could try running it on the low side of the oil capacity... Sometimes that will eliminate - or minimize - the oil misting. The front end of my bike is already getting dirty down low from the oil misting... I keep the visible parts clean, but the hard-to-reach places down low already have oil crud on them... The front of the right saddlebag seems to get oil mist on it, too.

My jeans probably get oil mist on them, too... I haven't checked. I don't expect that this problem will EVER really be eliminated totally on these big twins... It's existed forever!   :nervous:

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »

Try sneaking up to it real slow and stealthy like, pretend you are invisible and then TURN IT ON REAL FAST!!!!  Maybe you will scare the sh!t out of it and it will work.

Sorry couldn't help it,   good luck with your pain in the ass shouldn't be happening to a new bike problem

fly

• AB

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »

Never thought of the misting from the a/c...I'll check that out.

I've already tried sneaking up on the damn thing, disconnecting the main fuse, turning the ign off and on slowly. Stuff happens and I'm sure it'll get sorted out either before the snow comes or in the spring.  This is my first big twin after having a number of VRods, Ducati's, BMW and Truimph so I'm still not sure what to expect.  I do love the bike though.

fly

• AB

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »

Well, not coming from the a/c at all but somewhere down low.  Oil cooler and lines look fine.  Tomorrow it goes into the dealer to get the radio/amp diagnosed and probably parts ordered and the oil leak looked at.  Put 300 miles on the bike on the weekend...still love it.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »

Well, not coming from the a/c at all but somewhere down low.  Oil cooler and lines look fine.  Tomorrow it goes into the dealer to get the radio/amp diagnosed and probably parts ordered and the oil leak looked at.  Put 300 miles on the bike on the weekend...still love it.

Hey Fly.....please keep us posted on what the stealer finds about the sound and if the confirm that it is the amp. As for the oil leak mine is doing the same thing but it is not that bad. It is the pressure switch on mine. It will go in next month for both.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:58:22 PM »

The oil leak in front and down low is most likely from the adaptor plate for the oil cooler.  It is sandwiched between the oil filter and the mount, and they have a history of becoming loose and leaking. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:05:40 PM »

The oil leak in front and down low is most likely from the adaptor plate for the oil cooler.  It is sandwiched between the oil filter and the mount, and they have a history of becoming loose and leaking. 

Jerry

X2...mine did that after the 1K oil change.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

fly

• AB

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 10:40:26 PM »

Jerry

Adapter plate?  Is this something you can see and how do you tighten it up or does the filter have to come off?

fly

• AB

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »

X2...mine did that after the 1K oil change.

Maybe this is the issue as I didn't have any leak prior to the first service.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 11:33:26 PM »

fly,  grc hit on the head. i see the adapter gaskets leak all the time. you cant just tighten the original gaskit it will
just keep leaking. the new gaskets are different and thay don't put enough torque on it at the factory.   
 most shops should already this, if thay don't, ask if you can see the old gasket.  good luck        axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

fly

• AB

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »

Dealer diagnosed amp dead and ordered another...none in Canada though so who knows.  I'm sure there will be snow on the ground by the time it arrives but will have tunes for the spring. While it was in the shop I had them install the in-fairing antenna so I could remove the dock hardware and rear whip.  I don't listen to the radio much as the iPod rocks the tunes and I will rarely (if ever) need the backrest or a luggage rack.  Oh, forgot to mention that my C&C Fastback seat arrived last week - seat is awesome and Chuck is great to deal with. I know I gotta take some pics and post them up when I get  chance.

Oil leak fixed - fitting on adapter plate needed to be tightened.  Not sure what this is but looks like filter had to come off so got me a new oil filter as part of the repair.  Hopefully solves the issue.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.