Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: ?  (Read 6176 times)

egultrac

?
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:12:57 PM by egultrac »
08 FLHTCUSE3, 09 FLHTCUSE4, 15 FLTRUSE, 17 FLHTKSE, 19 FLHTKSE, 19 FLTRXSE.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: 2010 CVO Street Glide rider & passenger comfort?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »

Egultrac, Regarding your questions. By the time you do the upgrades you mentioned you might as well just get an CVO Ultra. I have ridden a non CVO street glide and short windshield throws the wind right into your face instead of over the top of you like it does on my 09 CVO Ultra. To each his own, but it seems for the difference in money you get a lot more amenities with an Ultra, not to mention the time and labor to install any add ons whether it be your time or shop time. Do those come with a tour pak? If you are going on a long trip that is something to consider. I imagine they are very pricey by the time you add the brackets and wiring for lights etc. Also the passenger seat does not look as comfortable because it is not as wide as on a Ultra and it tapers towards the rear. Just my opinion. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »

Moved it down here where you'll get replys from those of us that have crossed over.

There isn't anything that compares to an Ultra Classic in the comfort dept. in the HD line up.  Having said that, let me share my observation.  I've owned several Ultra Classics before the 04 SEEG.  The newest UC was the 02 UC.

I learned early on (with my 89 Ultra Classic) that the seat on an Ultra Classic is like a big ol comfortable couch.  And it stays that way until about two hours into the ride....from there through the rest of the day, it gets more and more uncomfortable.  So I changed the seat on all my Ultra Classics as well as the SEEG and the SESG.  

I was one of those guys that had motorcycle seats hanging all over the garage and never satisfied until I tried Vanamal's Corbin.  I rode ocean to ocean on that seat and it's not been off since!  (I did send him a check :).  My new SESG also has a Corbin.

Besides the seat issue, the SEEG and the SESG is the same chassis however, differet suspension.  The SESG handles tight compared to an UC......kind of like comparing my BMW sedan to my Silverado truck.  It rides a little stiffer, but handles so much better....so you're trading off a little of the cush for a much more sure footed beast.

Like all the models, you have to get a windshield that fits you and your rider.  

Stereo.....I bought the HOG Pod for less than $200 and was amazed at the difference at freeway speeds.  Don't know if a passenger can hear it any better (I ride solo) but I can honestly hear it at 100 mph now.  Of course there's the Hawg Wired system to bump it up even further.

I'm one of those that has added the quick release King Tour pack, the leg fairings, etc.  I like the comfort when I'm touring and I do a lot of it in the summer months.  The up side is that when I'm riding local I can remove all that and have the sportier looking ride and much less weight.  That's my experience. :2vrolijk_21: 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:08:07 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 03:27:47 PM »

How about the fact the SESG just looks better?!!!!!!!! :pepper:
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »

I agree with the above comments...And the SESG sure looks great.  That's why I just bought one (picking it up on Tuesday) in the spiced rum flavor.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:44:38 PM by DRTYK9 »

TEQUILA -aka- RED RUM

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 04:01:50 PM »

I agree with the above comments...And the SESG sure looks great.  That's why I just bought one (picking it up on Tuesday) in the spiced rum flavor.
   Where is Huntington NY........Keith............getting mine on tuesday.

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 04:07:46 PM »

Huntington is on Long Island...on the other end of NYS from Chazy.

Where is Huntington NY........Keith............getting mine on tuesday.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »

Egultrac, Regarding your questions. By the time you do the upgrades you mentioned you might as well just get an CVO Ultra. I have ridden a non CVO street glide and short windshield throws the wind right into your face instead of over the top of you like it does on my 09 CVO Ultra. To each his own, but it seems for the difference in money you get a lot more amenities with an Ultra, not to mention the time and labor to install any add ons whether it be your time or shop time. Do those come with a tour pak? If you are going on a long trip that is something to consider. I imagine they are very pricey by the time you add the brackets and wiring for lights etc. Also the passenger seat does not look as comfortable because it is not as wide as on a Ultra and it tapers towards the rear. Just my opinion. CAHDBIKER

This is a valid point I went Street Glide for the sporty look but have added many items that came on the Ultra? Passenger boards, Tour Pak etc.

My key issue was my concern about making the ultra Pak detach. Only after I got the SESG did I learn there is an easy to install kit on the Ultra.

That said the CVO Ultra comes with the Street Glide style light treatments. I prefer the chrome wheels to the contrast wheels and you also get the Tour Pak, Passenger boards, Heated Seats, Heated grips, Touring seat, Navigation Color match inner fairing and CB. Even if they do not interest you thats a bunch of add ons?

I also really like the Scarlet Red If I did it again today I would give it serious thought.

Not enough 2 up time to tell you about the ride

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 05:10:11 PM by Wheelsnkeels »
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »

This is a valid point I went Street Glide for the sporty look but have added many items that came on the Ultra? Passenger boards, Tour Pak etc.

My key issue was my concern about making the ultra Pak detach. Only after I got the SESG did I learn there is an easy to install kit on the Ultra.

That said the CVO Ultra comes with the same bag and light treatments. I prefer the chrome wheels to the contrast wheels and you also get the Tour Pak, Passenger boards, Heated Seats, Heated grips, Touring seat, Navigation and CB. Even if they do not interest you thats a bunch of add ons?

I also really like the Burnt Orange If I did it again today I would give it serious thought.

Not enough 2 up time to tell you about the ride

I've never heard of this before and Jon is about to go through all the changes of making his SEUC tour pack removable.  Do you have a part number for this kit or direct me to where I can get more info?  He also wants to put the 10 SESG saddle bags and rear fender on his 10 SEUC.  Doesn't much matter which bike you go with, there's time and money to be spent to get it the way you want it. :nixweiss: 

Personally, I wish the wheels that come on the 10 SEUC came on my SESG.......all chrome and very nice when they're turning and the sun is shinning.  I tried to trade Jon straight across but he doesn't want any part of that.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »

Theres a link I read yesterday about a complete kit but here is a harness and the detach hardware is in the Catalog. Seems a lot of guys are using a bracket made by George Anderson.

Wiring Harness Kit allows the installation of Detachable Tour-Pak® Rack Kit P/N 53246-09 on '09 Ultra Classic® Electra Glide® models. Includes rear lighting wiring harness, CB antenna relocation kit and passenger communication port mounting. Retains intercom and headset settings at levels set prior to Tour-Pak® removal. . Fits '09 FLHTCU models equipped with Detachable Tour-Pak® Rack Kit P/N 53246-09.. 70032-09
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »

A question for all you new CVO Street Glide owners. Especially those who have ridden an Ultra or own one. How would you compare the ride on the new CVO Street Glide to that of the Ultra? Specifically while riding two up. Is it a choppier ride, is it as comfortable as the Ultra? What about the stereo, can the passenger hear it at 110 to 120 kms per hour (65 to 75 mph)? How comfortable is the stock seat for rider and passenger on longer trips? Do you have to change the windshield for longer trips? I've noticed that several new owners have installed passenger floorboards, hard and soft tour-paks, auxiliary spot lights, lowers, etc.    

Comparing an SESGs ride to an SEUCs ride is not quite like comparing apples to oranges, but close.  I have both an SEUC ('07) with the older rear end and air suspension, and a 2010 SESG.  The air ride suspension rides differently then the hydraulic dampened suspension on the SESG.  The SEUC is more cushy, rides a little smoother and absorbs the road bumps and joints a little better than the SESG does.  The SEUC has to be "thrown" over a little more in twisties, whereas the SESG "flicks" into the twisties very easily.  This is probably due to the lower stance of the SESG and the tighter rear suspension and stiffer rear end.  I don't do, or at least haven't done any two-up riding on the SESG, so I can't tell you about pillion comfort or radio sound to the passenger on the SESG.  I did replace the wind deflector, (I'm 6'4'), because the wind would hit me right in the face and felt like it was trying to lift my helmet off at any speed over 60mph.  I put an 8 1/2 in tinted shield on and love it.  I think the stock seat on the SESG is the most comfortable factory seat I've ever ridden.  I've put 350 miles in one shot on it so far and didn't feel any worse for wear.  The only thing I need to add to it was the backrest.  that was a must.  I'm not going to put a tour pak on or passenger floor boards because this is my one-up ride.  When I do two-up, we take the SEUC and that already has the tour pak, floor boards, heated seat, grips, etc, etc, etc.  It's nice to have both, that way I don't have to change the looks of either and can just add the little items that I want to add.

:devil:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:35:30 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »

IMHO I believe you need to start with which type of riding you plan to do the most.

Generally speaking one stock bike is superior to the other for each of these.  If 2-up riding is predominantly what you plan to do, you would likely be better suited to going with an ultra and making your necessary changes.  Conversely I believe if one-up riding is what you'll be doing most you'll probably be happier with the performance of the SESG and add your 2-up components as needed.

I believe I will be much happier with the components that I'll have added to get my SESG into a 2-up machine on the occasions that it is required.  I've had considerable variety in my choices to select these components and I'm not replacing them, but only paying for them once.  I believe this is significant because I'm able to choose Heat Demon's over the HD heated grips, a Corbin Heated Saddle over a HD Heated seat and I don't care for lowers so I'm not paying for something that would be stored in the garage.  For the Tour Pak I can choose between the leather, chopped, King, King w/lights etc. Paint for the tour pak is only limited by my imagination and skill of the painter.

All this is work of course, but I don't see too many here tire from time spent tinkering and modding their machines.

That's my 2¢

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »

Wife and I ride 2 up most of the time never owned an Ultra but we rent the Electraglide Classic when we travel.

Bought the SESG because of the sporty styling but immediately added the King Tour pak, Passenger Boards and Sundowner seat. She was not comfortable on the factory seat!

Nor does the factory seat fit properly anyway.

We did 200 miles today and she was as comfortable as the Classics we've ridden.

I do really like the Ultra in Burnt Orange an Spice Red. With the exception of the stretched bags and LED taillights I would've bought the Ultra.

Also the SESG has hydraulic shocks and not quite as smooth as the air ride IMO.

I'd have a hard time making the call again. Love my SESG but had I bought the Ultra and added a tour Pak detach kit and Arlen Ness bags and Fender I think I may have liked it better? Tuff call.

Personally I was ready to build a custom bagger when I was overcome with the turn key bug. In the long run the CVO always has a higher NADA value than if you build off a basic bike.

There you go clear as mud?
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »

I had a 96 Roadking and a 06 Streetglide before I got the SESG. The difference of the ride between the air shocks and the new SG setup is huge. As JC said this SESG is made for the twisties. On the other hand it would have been a tossup if there would have been a Burnt Amber in the shop sitting next to the SG I may have fell in love with the Burnt Amber, Gorgeous bike. But I would probaby have spent the same on extras as I will now, only differant accessories. IMHO either bike is awesome n its own way
TJ

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 10:42:40 PM »

The ride is a little stiffer than my ultras but not bad. The handling is a lot better. I just put a t bag on luggage rack and can get as much as a tour pak. I wouldn't go back anyway for now. :-*
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.