Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: my one day review of the BMW K1600B  (Read 26806 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: my one day review of the BMW K1600B
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2018, 05:42:56 PM »

Now that seat goes with the bike!   :2vrolijk_21:

Yeah, that bomber grey looks very good with that color.   :2vrolijk_21:  Interesting, a motorcycle website like Corbin can show all sorts of seat options & colors on the actual bike, and a company that shall remain nameless whose initials happen to be "HD" cannot.  I wonder sometimes how limited internet access must be in places like...Milwaukee.   :nixweiss:

That is a damn fine bike & appreciate your ride report JC.  Our local dealer on BMW went bust, closest dealer is 200 miles away.  Darn shame...
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2018, 08:06:29 PM »

Had HD’s 1942 campaign for an opposed engine shaft driven XA done as well as it’s WLA or BMW’S Boxers, this thread as well as HD’s (mostly) sole dependency on its V 45 twin platform may have taken a different direction. Perhaps it’s quality control and stock earnings as well.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2018, 01:59:10 AM »

Now that seat goes with the bike!   :2vrolijk_21:
JC, whats the benefit to riding in to Corbin and having the seat made? No doubt it looks the best!
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2018, 08:45:04 AM »

JC, whats the benefit to riding in to Corbin and having the seat made? No doubt it looks the best!

#1.....they get it right!  So often members of this forum have ordered a seat from their local dealership or aftermarket and the seat arrives with something wrong (color, stitch pattern, type of leather, etc.)  #2.....they take the stock molded seat, before it's covered, and have you ride it down the street for you to check it out.  When you come back you tell them to add a little padding here or take a little out there, etc. (form fit it to your butt).  #3.....you actually see the different types of leather, the colors, the thread colors and the thread and stitch patterns all first hand and you make your decisions, first hand.

It is an all day affair and they only do it on Saturdays.  You should be there an hour before they open because others will be there that early and if you're down the line then it'll be several hours before they even get to you.  There is a Best Western right down the street.  If you ride in, you want to talk to Julio....he's their lead guy for Saturdays.

Here's a link to a slide show that I did of them making the seat for my SEEG back in Mar. 2004....

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=12&uid=912505&gid=4000502&
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »

You can also call Corbin and make a weekday apppointment, I’ve done a couple of seats this way. The only downside is there’s no other riders around to chat with.

ultrarider123

« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2018, 11:14:34 AM »

Took a side trip to our BMW dealer at Topside rd. on my way to SMHD on Saturday.  They had three 1600B models on the showroom....two without the top box and one with (the one with is the 1600B Grand America?).  Anyhoo, sitting on all three with what BMW calls the low seat, I'm still a bit of the ball of my foot and toes only.  Granted, I had tennis shoes on so with my normal riding boots, I think I could stretch enough to put my entire foot flat.  No option for a passenger backrest and/or luggage rack on the straight B model from BMW.  No removable bags on the B in either configuration (top box doesn't remove either).  The GTL sitting next to it fit me very well, flat footed with tennis shoes.  All three bags are removable on the GTL.  I didn't get to hear the sound system on the GTL but the B sounded very good.  There aren't any rear speakers on any of the models (GTL or Grand America) according to what I saw or the sales feller.

I liked the feel of both the B (if I had boots) and the GTL in the sitting position.  While the floorboards on the B did feel well, I could see them as being useless for anything except long, highway stretches.  I did note that I could still use the rear brake using my heal with my foot on the boards along with down shifting using my left heal with the foot boards which is something but no substitution for actual controls on the boards.

The ergo's on the BMW are very good (for me).  I did not have the opportunity to ride any (although it was offered) so can't speak to the power/ride quality but having rode BMW's in the past and recent reviews on this thread, I would agree it's probably very nice.

I can see the appeal of this B.

As for seats, I was impressed with both the B and GTL stock saddle.  However, the Corbin option would be much improved for mainly the passenger and rider's backrest since BMW doesn't offer either currently.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:17:45 AM by Haird »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »

You should have taken one of them for a ride Haird!   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Yes, the one with the top box is the GA (Grand America) and the one with out the top box is the B (Bagger). 

The stereo sounds OK, they just don't have enough power so if you're wearing a full face or modular helmet they're pretty much useless beyond 60 mph.  On the BMW forum they're changing out the speakers and adding an amplifier.

Uhhhh, I think you must be much shorter.  I can sit flat footed when it's up on the center stand.   :huepfenlol2:

It's actually nice riding with those floorboards.  I mean if you're in town going stop light to stop light then you left foot is going to be going back and forth.  But the brakes are intigrated so at speed or going very slow you can use just the front brake lever and it applies both brakes evenly......no nose dive like on the Harley.  It really is a different machine from what we're used to.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2018, 06:42:36 PM »

A couple of you guys have asked me if I've considered the new Gold Wing.  I came across this dyno comparison today.....

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2018, 10:45:33 PM »

A couple of you guys have asked me if I've considered the new Gold Wing.  I came across this dyno comparison today.....
So what is strange about that curve is my Roadglide with the 124 has 141 HP and 132 TQ on the SAE dyno they did and riding the BMW it was absolutely in another world comparatively. Before riding it I figured it would be a bit quicker but I was shocked by just how much faster it was across the entire band. I would say similar to the difference between the 124 and stock motor but honestly it was way more than that. I had read various reviews saying it was crazy fast but I kinda figured the people writing them weren't used to a fast bike, I was wrong!
Alan

ultrarider123

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2018, 07:05:55 AM »

If the B puts out 160 hp at the crank and 131 hp at the wheel, that's a significant loss through the power train.  I'm not that familiar with the dyno gain/loss ratio so is a 20% loss normal?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2018, 08:57:12 AM »

So what is strange about that curve is my Roadglide with the 124 has 141 HP and 132 TQ on the SAE dyno they did and riding the BMW it was absolutely in another world comparatively. Before riding it I figured it would be a bit quicker but I was shocked by just how much faster it was across the entire band. I would say similar to the difference between the 124 and stock motor but honestly it was way more than that. I had read various reviews saying it was crazy fast but I kinda figured the people writing them weren't used to a fast bike, I was wrong!

So much smoother power on the BMW bike compared to the Harley.  Much like the BMW sedan or coupe, it just doesn't feel like you're going as fast as you are..........until you look down at that speedometer.  It gets there.......fast.  Especially when you're not even using a clutch or rolling back off the throttle!  A fun bike to ride.  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2018, 09:06:11 AM »

It gets there.......fast.  Especially when you're not even using a clutch or rolling back off the throttle!  A fun bike to ride.  :2vrolijk_21:

About like a 70's model Trail 70 Honda.    ::)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2018, 10:00:07 AM »

If the B puts out 160 hp at the crank and 131 hp at the wheel, that's a significant loss through the power train.  I'm not that familiar with the dyno gain/loss ratio so is a 20% loss normal?

Drive train loss can vary greatly from vehicle to vehicle. In cars, an auto trans vs a manual is a huge difference. Bikes are relatively efficient having only one lightweight wheel to spin. The 160 HP number comes from BMW. Like Harley's published numbers, we have no way to verify the equipment used or the test procedure that was employed. We can assume it was 160 at the crank, or was it the countershaft sprocket? The only way us to really know the drivetrain loss would be to use the same piece of equipment to get a real before and after. In other words we will never know. My 1600B is minutes away from starting it's 1400 mile journey home. As soon as I get my hands on it we will have a BMW vs Harley dyno chart to discuss. I can already tell you this, in a 6th gear roll on from 60, my 120" M8 would pull the BMW backwards up a hill. A real side by side at the drag strip would be another story.

Steve@fullsac.com

Click on play in the center, then youtube in the lower right corner to watch the short video.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:02:42 AM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »

Well crap.  Watched that ^ video.  Then on the right was an option for funny baseball videos.  After that was funny texting mistakes.  Then...   well, 45 minutes later remembered I started here. 

First day out of school hasn't started with tons of ambition.....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 24 queries.