Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: my one day review of the BMW K1600B  (Read 26774 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: my one day review of the BMW K1600B
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 07:37:01 AM »

I'd like to try one of them...
Bill

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »

Though the best dirt bike I ever had was the Honda Elsinore back in the day I just have no interest in getting a Honda now. I do understand quality wise its probably the best of the bunch but just can't get my head around riding one.
Though going from a Harley to a BMW is definitely a leap, going to a Honda is a jump off a cliff..

I concur yer honor!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mark

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 07:48:03 PM »

SDCVO, I did find it unusual you seem to prefer HD type styling, riding position, Infotainment, etc., but didn't like the Indian.  Especially since the Indian is more akin to the HD  - riding position, styling, Ride Command, etc.

I've determined there is no perfect motorcycle - there's always something you'd like to change.  I got rid of my CVO SG due to engine issues and bought an IM Roadmaster.  If the K1600B had been out in '16 I would have strongly consider one.  But the Roadmaster is a great riding bike - best I've owned.  Are there things I'd change on the RM?  Sure.  But all things considered, I now have "confidence of reliability," and don't worry about being stranded on a trip due to an engine failure.

Good luck. 

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 12:08:41 AM »

SDCVO, I did find it unusual you seem to prefer HD type styling, riding position, Infotainment, etc., but didn't like the Indian.  Especially since the Indian is more akin to the HD  - riding position, styling, Ride Command, etc.

I've determined there is no perfect motorcycle - there's always something you'd like to change.  I got rid of my CVO SG due to engine issues and bought an IM Roadmaster.  If the K1600B had been out in '16 I would have strongly consider one.  But the Roadmaster is a great riding bike - best I've owned.  Are there things I'd change on the RM?  Sure.  But all things considered, I now have "confidence of reliability," and don't worry about being stranded on a trip due to an engine failure.

Good luck.
No doubt reliability on the new M8 has proven to me at least to be horrible. Reason I don't care for the Indian is 2 fold, I want a fairing when I ride and I just personally don't care for the look of the Indian fairing but thats why God makes chocolate and vanilla. 2nd is my riding style is higher in the revs which is why I thought the stage 4 would be perfect, when I rode the Indian I felt like it fell off hard up in the revs. No doubt the BMW just never falls off and the rev limiter is through the roof!
Alan

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
I have a confession to make.
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 08:22:34 AM »

I too have test rode the 2018 BMW 1600B. For the last three weeks I have been obsessed with gathering all the information available online with the K1600 line of Beemers. I drove to Phoenix last weekend with every intention of throwing down over 26K on a fully loaded 16000B that I have been drooling over for the last couple of weeks. The test ride stopped me in my tracks. It wasn't what I had dreamt it up to be, at least not for me. I had watched every youtube review there was on the bike with every journalist saying how "comfor table" the floor boards were. I thought the footpeg and floor board position sucked. I walked away from the bike dumbfounded. I was expecting a Harley riding position that I have grown accustomed to and didn't get anything even close. But there were things that were even better than I expected that won't let me get over it. The shift assist pro. Clutchless shifting up and down with out even moving the throttle! Awesome technical advancement that makes the lamest of riders shift flawlessly smooth. Suspension and brakes were off the chart. The front brake lever integrates both wheels. Two Fingers on the front brake lever shuts this thing down in a hurry. If your right foot is on the floor board and you can't reach the rear brake pedal it doesn't matter. Adjustable windshield is a game changer. Just your thumb replaces a lifetime collection of aftermarket Harley windshields stacked up in the garage. The bike was so baddass is so many ways, a week later I am still thinking about it. After many more hours of research my current plan is to buy a used K1600 GT. Used 2012 1600 GTs with low miles go for about 12K. It's the exact same motorcycle mechanically with a stink bug rear end on it. Some thing so ugly only a mother can love, but I can fix it! Cut the stock mufflers off, put some nice 4" Harleys cans back on about 6" lower. Drop the saddle bags down, new rear fender. Cut the footpegs off and go with a full floor board, lower it and "Sac" it out. Can't wait to hear one of these on the dyno screaming at 8500 RPM. New product line? Maybe? . Figured I can ride the older ugly sister for less than half and get her some plastic surgery. If I stay warm and fuzzy upgrade to the 1600B down the road. I just need the K1600 platform to get started testing exhaust and have some fun. Did I mention GTs have no top speed limiter? I'm all in!

Steve@fullsac.com

These are my three favorite 1600B videos from three complete opposite guys who love the same bike. There is no denying the wow factor of this bike even sitting still.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:49:34 AM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »

With my long legs, I was not able to get past my hips locking up when I test rode the 1600 GT a few years ago.  The 1600 B and the Grand America are the first BMWs that I've been able to sit on without my hips locking up so that's the difference for me.

We know that a few CVO owners have already crossed over and I believe that with these two new models out.....more will follow suit.  Purely for the reliability of the BMW if for no other reason.   Just need a rider's backrest for those of us that have back issues.

The first video was a bit of a challenge to follow due to his accent and the second video was entertaining to watch but they're both saying the same thing......no other bagger comes close to these two in every regard.  I look forward to following your progress on what ever model you end up with Steve and if it's not on this forum please keep us posted where you'll be posting?   
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »

With my long legs, I was not able to get past my hips locking up when I test rode the 1600 GT a few years ago.  The 1600 B and the Grand America are the first BMWs that I've been able to sit on without my hips locking up so that's the difference for me.

We know that a few CVO owners have already crossed over and I believe that with these two new models out.....more will follow suit.  Purely for the reliability of the BMW if for no other reason.   Just need a rider's backrest for those of us that have back issues.

The first video was a bit of a challenge to follow due to his accent and the second video was entertaining to watch but they're both saying the same thing......no other bagger comes close to these two in every regard.  I look forward to following your progress on what ever model you end up with Steve and if it's not on this forum please keep us posted where you'll be posting?

Hi JC!

No matter what model I start with, foot position is going to have to get modified. I will have less issues cutting up a used 1600 than a new one. The GT having no speed limiter will be better for dyno testing as I will be able to make full pulls in 6th gear. I'm excited to get started. I have one in Vegas and one in Phoenix I'm negotiating on. I will keep you posted.

Steve@fullsac.com
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:14:36 AM by Fullsac Performance »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »

Hi JC!

No matter what model I start with, foot position is going to have to get modified. I will have less issues cutting up a used 1600 than a new one. The GT having no speed limiter will be better for dyno testing as I will be able to make full pulls in 6th gear. I'm excited to get started. I have one in Vegas and one in Phoenix I'm negotiating on. I will keep you posted.

Steve@fullsac.com
Boy Steve,I hope you can figure out the riding position issue with this bike as no one has and for many people (like me) its whats stopping the purchase!
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 10:10:17 PM »

Boy Steve,I hope you can figure out the riding position issue with this bike as no one has and for many people (like me) its whats stopping the purchase!

X 2       :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 10:13:55 PM »

Mike has already made a seat for it that has backrests for the B

http://www.corbin.com/bmw/bmwk16bdte.shtml

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »

Mike has already made a seat for it that has backrests for the B

http://www.corbin.com/bmw/bmwk16bdte.shtml
Saw that, anyone comes up with forward controls I may be in especially after today! I did watch that video Steve posted and did see that you really don't need to use rear brake lever so kinda half way there.You would think someone would come up with forward controls especially after going on the BMW forum and seeing so many people complaining about it!
My problem is now my knees just cant take the peg position for a long ride which is mostly what I do as you know.
As you always say, "getting old aint for sissies"!
Alan

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 07:43:24 AM »

Here is an interesting comparison between the HD Roadglide and the BMW 1600B.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 08:29:43 AM »

Here is an interesting comparison between the HD Roadglide and the BMW 1600B.

Really liked this video at 5:23 into it.    :2vrolijk_21:

But they both forgot to mention that the BMW doesn't have the Goldwing fairing that the Road Glide has.   :P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:31:33 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »

Saw that, anyone comes up with forward controls I may be in especially after today! I did watch that video Steve posted and did see that you really don't need to use rear brake lever so kinda half way there.You would think someone would come up with forward controls especially after going on the BMW forum and seeing so many people complaining about it!
My problem is now my knees just cant take the peg position for a long ride which is mostly what I do as you know.
As you always say, "getting old aint for sissies"!

I have the same issue with my left knee only, it can not stay bent in the foot peg position for more than block or two. For the BMWs with the shift assist, an electric actuator like the Pingle or something similar could be used and the trigger placed on the left board or thumb. I think an up down toggle on the left thumb would be easy to get used to. No sure if there's room for any more junk on the handlebar?

Steve@fullsac.com

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 01:25:31 PM »

I have a 2014 BMW K1600GT. Here are my solutions to some of the stated issues.

1. Driver Pegs - https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1600GTL.html
    Lowered by 1.5" - my knees really appreciate the new position. It puts you a bit closer to the ground but I am not that aggressive in the turns. My biggest issue is that not very often the front of my foot hits the payment. Not sure if these would for on the "B" model.

2. Seat/Backrest - stock seat is definitely not a long distance performer. After 250 miles my ass hurt something terrible. I opted for a Russel Day Long

3. Handlebars - the GT is a low and aggressive handlebar. I opted for the highly adjustable Helibars. https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars%C2%AE-Horizon%E2%84%A2-ST-multi%252daxis-adjustable-handlebars-for-BMW-K1600GTL-%7B47%7D-K1600GT/591.html

4. Riding position - frankly after the new seat, pegs and handlebars - I prefer the riding position on the BMW over the HD lounger position. All my weight is centered over the top of the bike and makes for enhanced rider control.

5. Height - yes, this bike works better for those who are not "inseam challenged". You can get the seats lowered but it's still tip-toe land for some riders. Here's a guy with a solution.

6. Sound - I am fine with the sewing machine sound. I got to the point that even my 2.0" Fullsac baffles were too loud for me (sorry Steve, I'll try 1.75" the next time).

7. Stereo - yea, it sucks at high speed. I went to the SENA Bluetooth helmet speakers and love those. It's not high fidelity but works for me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 24 queries.