Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visited Local Indian Dealer Today  (Read 1465 times)

J.D.

Visited Local Indian Dealer Today
« on: April 28, 2018, 05:50:42 PM »

Have driven by but never stopped by before today.

First impressions:

• Shop was clean and modern
  • Staff was friendly, very knowledgeable (on both their products and Harley's chronic issues), and low pressure
  • There were other customers - including customers who were at the register buying stuff (not related to warranty repair work)
  • Bikes were better in person than photos would indicate
  • Bikes I sat on felt better and fit me personally better than the current Harleys

It was a bit shocking and refreshing to talk to a sales person at a motorcycle dealership who was more like an honest tech than a used car salesman.

Floor had a number of trade-in Harleys for sale.

Service department didn't appear to be that busy LOL.

I'm not in the market for a new bike (famous last words), but if I were, Indian would be above (actually pretty far above) Harley at this point, all things considered.

mark

Re: Visited Local Indian Dealer Today
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:37:23 AM »

They seem to be making a good product.  IM had a few hiccups along the way, but most manufacturers do, and they've addressed those with recalls.  What I notice are the engines seem bulletproof - on the Indian forum you don't see owners complaining about lifters, valve trains, oil pumps, bearings, etc.  Seems the only failures are the typical things - bad battery, stator, etc.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:13:12 PM by Mark »

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:57:51 AM »

Seems like they are doing alot of things right.  The dealership had a "feel" of the older HD dealerships.  The folks I spoke with were very aware of the details of the Twin Cam lifter failures, compensator issues, M8 sumping, etc.  Staff knew details of their 3-cam engine design, etc.  Super friendly and no attitude or sales pressure whatsoever.  Very good first impression.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »

They seem to be making a good product.  IM had a few hiccups along the way, but most manufacturers do, and they've addressed those with recalls.  What I notice is the engines seem bulletproof - on the Indian forum you don't see owners complaining about lifters, valve trains, oil pumps, bearings, etc.  Seems the only failures are the typical things - bad battery, stator, etc.

Yup.  Personally, I consider the "motor" the most important part of a "motorcycle".  Otherwise you've just got an extremely expensive bicycle with missing pedals.

If you think back over decades, Harley has had a real problem when it comes to the quality and reliability of their engines.  Some people celebrate all the lousy quality as some sort of badge of honor, making excuses for all the break downs, broken parts and puddles of oil for instance, but some of us don't find those things endearing or charming. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »

I'm looking hard at the Indian for my next bike. My 2017 CVO Limited has been a good bike but just like a wife change can be good.
Bill

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 24 queries.