Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Stuck on bugs??????  (Read 20293 times)

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Stuck on bugs??????
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »

I hate to admit this to you guys but I am sure some of you will understand.

A few weekends ago I went on a stag ride with the fellas where we put on 930+ miles.  When I came home it was sunny and 85 and the kiddos (8 months & 22 months) were needing some Daddy time.  I put the bike in the Man Cave and went to Dad mode. By the time they went to sleep I was exhausted and needed to get to bed. The next day started the work week and the nightly routine with the kids.  So after two weeks of sitting, I said enough was enough and went out at 11 p.m. to wash the bike. Well The bugs are now really stuck on the batwing. I ran warm water on her and all and it just does not seem to want to release the marks.  The bug's juices are gone but the marks are left behind.  I tried the honda spray and even left it on for an hour before rubbing it off. 

A friend of mine said he used dryer sheets that he soakes in water for a minute or two and they clean bugs right off.  There is a residue left behind but he said a little spray detailer and your all set. ANYONE try this?

I hate to bust out the bug and tar remover.... So I am open for what has worked for you.

Thanks guys,

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
Re: Stuck on bugs??????
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »

I have good results with liberal use of the Honda spray and days old dried bugs but have never left the spray on more that about a minute before wiping. Most of the time I just use paper towels and turn frequently to keep from grinding the bugs back in and to take advantage of the spray residue from a clean side of the towel. When I have a very large concentration of bugs I use a wet sponge instead of paper towels also turning and rinsing frequently.

Both methods seem to work well on our helmet visors and windshield without leaving marks. If either of those don't work for you please be sure to post your final solution for future reference.

Good luck!

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »

The bugs are off the windshield as well as the forks and the lowers, but the batwing has that skid mark left behind.  I hate to rub too hard and I think I will get out there again with the Honda spray and see what I can do. I did notice a few on the front fender.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »

This stuff works pretty good.

http://www.bugslide.com/

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

I'm sorry but can not help.

I have always wondered why I can ride my bike and hit every bug imaginable.  Drive my van or pickup with 5 times the frontal area and have less bug splatter.     :nixweiss:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »

I have good results with liberal use of the Honda spray and days old dried bugs but have never left the spray on more that about a minute before wiping. Most of the time I just use paper towels and turn frequently to keep from grinding the bugs back in and to take advantage of the spray residue from a clean side of the towel. When I have a very large concentration of bugs I use a wet sponge instead of paper towels also turning and rinsing frequently.

Both methods seem to work well on our helmet visors and windshield without leaving marks. If either of those don't work for you please be sure to post your final solution for future reference.

Good luck!

Just a note, paper towels are very bad for the paint.
They get bugs off, but leave scratches.
They have ground up pieces of metal in them. always use a clean cotton or microfiber cloth.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG "Beast"
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »

RLTW

NSTY110RIDER

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »

I wet a towel with warm water and just let it sit on the bug covered surface for about 20 minutes and everything wipes right off.
Works great everytime !!  :2vrolijk_21:
2008 Screamin Eagle Road King

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »

I wet a towel with warm water and just let it sit on the bug covered surface for about 20 minutes and everything wipes right off.

:2vrolijk_21:

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »

There has been a few threads about this.  A spray mixture of 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide with a small amount of dawn detergent works very well.  The peroxide dissolves organic material (bug guts), the Dawn is a medium that holds it to the surface, and the water makes it all applicable with a sprayer.  I made a 1500 mile run in west Texas in 100 degree heat and coated my RG in every bug known to science. I left the bike like that for 3 weeks, and this solution took it all off in 2 applications.  It's just science - peroxide eats organic material.  Also works for wine in carpet and blood on anything.

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:32:18 AM »

After you've cleaned it really well, you'll still notice 'marks' that the bug guts actually etched into the paint if left on for a long period of time.  They'll have to be polished out to get back to a smooth surface.  Then you can shine it up to start all over again.  ??? har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:47:45 AM »

There has been a few threads about this.  A spray mixture of 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide with a small amount of dawn detergent works very well.  The peroxide dissolves organic material (bug guts), the Dawn is a medium that holds it to the surface, and the water makes it all applicable with a sprayer.  I made a 1500 mile run in west Texas in 100 degree heat and coated my RG in every bug known to science. I left the bike like that for 3 weeks, and this solution took it all off in 2 applications.  It's just science - peroxide eats organic material.  Also works for wine in carpet and blood on anything.

Bill

Sounds like oxiclean! You may have determined the perfect solution in your recipe, however wouldn't the same oxidation reaction that eats the bug protein have a negative effect on your paint finish in the long run?

Most of the time when the my bug coating is extensive on my paint I go for a full wash, the spray method is more of a front end chrome and windshield quick detail.

Some great ideas, and Keats - thanks for the tip on the paper towels!  :2vrolijk_21:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

Coming back from a ride around the great lakes last summer, I had so many bugs, it was hard to tell what color the fairing was!

I also use the wet towel trick. Wet a couple of big bath towels, and lay them over for 1/2 hour or so to rehydrate the little buggers. At this point, I avoid rubbing, as some of these criters have some hard shells, so I use the water hose nozzel to get off as much as possible.  That usually gets all of the hard parts. I then coat the area with S100, and let that sit for anotheer 15 minutes or so, then rinse and scrub with a micro-fiber wash mit.

I will say it does help a lot to hit them as soon as possible, but after a 7 day ride, this routine works pretty well.  I also make sure to put on a nice coating of wax prior to leaving.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

Harley's bug remover works real well. It has a sweet smell to it and I've often wondered if it isn't something similar to Pledge.

justplainjim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »

Put some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.  Spray the bugs, wait for a minute or two and wipe off with a damp microfiber towel.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 07:17:30 PM »

works for me too!

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »

If the physical part of the bug is off and there is still a mark then you need wax polish or a more aggressive therapy like a scratch and swirl treatment.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 05:19:35 PM »

Maybe some of my GLARE (polish) will work?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 08:49:05 PM »

Wouldn't hurt to try it.  I'll take out fine scratches, but bug etchings might require a knock-out or spyder or similar product to cut that much clear down.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hogasm

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »

tried it on my fairing......needs a little more like spider

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 10:09:10 PM »

Harley's bug remover works real well. It has a sweet smell to it and I've often wondered if it isn't something similar to Pledge.
Sweet smell may be a bug attractor so you keep buying their bug remover.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

BONES - USMVMC

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide Tequila Sunrise
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »

I used BugSlide for the first time yesterday after a night of riding through swarms of lightening bugs. Stuff is amazing. I then used it on my softail windshield that had bugs all over it from a week ago. The windshield looks brand new. I am a glare user, but for the bugs. It is BugSlide for me!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:13:51 PM by CUL8R »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 10:12:11 PM »

This little trick works for me? What bugs?
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »

+1 more

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »

Clay bar with a little detailer for lube, about two minutes and they are gone, Use some real wax when done to help prevent this in the future.

kreed2007

• 2007 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »

Soak with water on a towel then clay bar, gets my volte :2vrolijk_21:
2007 CVO Ultra Classic, Black Ice and Electric Orange, D&D Fat Cat, TTS Master Tune

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »

Works great everytime !!  :2vrolijk_21:

Works great,, i also spray #S100 cleaner on wet paper towel, Like he said "Works every time"   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:35:33 PM by cvobiker »

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »

I use water honey and a little Garlic.......spray it on and let the dog at it works great then just rince.... :D

just kidding GOOD thread.
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 03:31:33 PM »

I had a neighbor come by the other day while I was cleaning the bike and he suggested spraying the bike with Pam afterwards to keep bugs off. All I could think of was what a greasy mess and I'd might prefer the bugs. :nervous: :huepfenlol2:

mark

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 09:02:19 PM »

Some bugs have internal fluids that are similar to lacquer, some are acidic.  If they stay on too long, they'll mark your paint & no amount of scrubbing or chemicals will remove the marks.  I'd suggest a 3" orbital buffer and a good polish.  I use Griot's products, so I'd start with the #3 polish.  If that doesn't do it, go to #2.  Don't use the same pad. If you go to #2, finish up with #3.  Plan on this taking some time.  I had a bug spot on my fender that I missed cleaning off after a ride - I worked on the spot with #3 for an hour to get it off.  Griot's makes a #4, but is is so mild, it has almost no "cut."

I always wipe my bike down within a day after a ride with Griot's Speed Shine and a micro fiber cloth.  Harley's bug remover also does a good job of loosening bugs and it's safe for windshields. 

BONES - USMVMC

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide Tequila Sunrise
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »

I have to tell you all, this stuff is the best. After trying EVERYTHING out there (to include Pledge). About 2 weeks ago I had a night ride and the bike sat for couple days with the fairing and front end covered with bugs (mainly because I got lazy and did not want to deal with it at the time). I was then at Iron Pony for something I had ordered and saw the Bugslide bottle and remembered what some other people had posted about it and thought I would try it. I was so impressed that I am sold on this stuff BIG TIME. It is a keeper. I even had some tar on the fender and it took it right off. I will continue to use Glare once a year and then for quick detailing and to remove bugs and stuff I am using Bugslide. Bugslide on top of the Glare leaves the bike slick and looking like a mirror. Yes, I know it is a expensive, but IMO it is WELL worth it.... Just say'n...try it...

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »

certainly NOt the miracle worker  as some of the products mentioned .. But I Always carry a damp miracle cloth in a zip lock bag to hit the bad stuff during fuel stops or jus sittin around .. easy to rinse and clean and stow away for the next stop.. keeps em to a minimum .. works for me .. :cucumber: :coolblue: 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 06:20:06 AM »

certainly NOt the miracle worker  as some of the products mentioned .. But I Always carry a damp miracle cloth in a zip lock bag to hit the bad stuff during fuel stops or jus sittin around .. easy to rinse and clean and stow away for the next stop.. keeps em to a minimum .. works for me .. :cucumber: :coolblue: 
Absolutely.  I know a lot of riders that do this and keep ahead of the bug-buildup in this manner.  spyder

Rickasha

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »

certainly NOt the miracle worker  as some of the products mentioned .. But I Always carry a damp miracle cloth in a zip lock bag to hit the bad stuff during fuel stops or jus sittin around .. easy to rinse and clean and stow away for the next stop.. keeps em to a minimum .. works for me .. :cucumber: :coolblue:  
Barefoot,
Is the miracle cloth just a wet microfiber towel??
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:24:10 PM by Rickasha »

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »

I still have a miracle cloth from the PTL days Jim Baker was selling them  for      hundreds of dollars  , they could do anything he claimed .  I will try it on bugs tomorrow....

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »

I still have a miracle cloth from the PTL days Jim Baker was selling them  for      hundreds of dollars  , they could do anything he claimed .  I will try it on bugs tomorrow....

Now that is funny! ;D

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »

Well I ordered the Bug Slide and a bunch of stuff from Griot's.  It's gonna be like Christmas in the Man Cave.  Now I need a water softner and I will be all set.

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »

A trick I've learned from my professional auto/motorcycle detailing buddies is to wet down what your working on, then apply Tuff Stuff fabric/vinyl/carpet cleaner to the bug affected area.  Let sit for a couple minutes, but not until dry, and then wash the vehicle using your favorite product.  Virtually no scrubbing and everything pretty much wipes right off.  You can get Tuff Stuff at most retailers including Walmart, Auto Parts stores, etc.  Super gentle foam that works fantastic.  It's also great used on leather seats, at least the tan ones in my Lincoln Towncar.  It even makes the stitching come out looking brand new.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 07:30:53 AM »

I've had good luck with Turtle Wax Bug & Snot remover.......but I gonna try Tuff Stuff
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »

I've had good luck with Turtle Wax Bug & Snot remover.......but I gonna try Tuff Stuff
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »

Someone say"Bugs"  :nixweiss:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

Guys, Guys, don't work yourselves to death. Prior to making the bug collecting run try this. Spray Pam cooking spray on the front surfaces of your bike ( paint and chrome ). Apply liberally and let dry. When you get to your destination just wash bike as you normally do. Bugs gone and no hard scrubbing. This is an old trucker trick that works. Ever wonder how the NASCAR haulers keep the chrome so clean, now you know.
And this coming from someone that hates to clean his bike. Mr Detail. :D
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

hogasm

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 01:52:27 PM »

I wrap the t-top on the boat with saran wrap before making a long trip......ugly but effective

Don't think saran wrap would look to good on a scooter  :huepfenlol2:

flfishhook

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »

Here in Florida we have the love bug season and if you ride you WILL have  the around of you bike (and face) covered with them. I have a couple of silly friends who wont even ride during "the season", no way am I gonna let a little bug keep me from my therapy sessions. What I do is spray a liberal amount of wd40 on a rag and wipe everything in the front down with it then when I get home everything wipes right off. We even have a contest, everyone put $10 inter pot puts a small paper pie plate on their bike and whoever  have the most bugs on their  plate gets the pot.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »

Someone say"Bugs"  :nixweiss:

:confused5: HOLY CHIT!  That would drive me nuts, that's crazy!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 08:25:17 PM »

:confused5: HOLY CHIT!  That would drive me nuts, that's crazy!
I try to avoid riding into them, but this day I was on I-75 on our way to Naples to vist our grandkids. When your at interstate speed you just get low and tight and get it! Thought we left early enough but I must of  thought wrong! next time I'll turn around and go back home! They stink after they have been cooked on the 103 grill! :huepfenlol2:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 08:47:29 PM »

a friend of mine from Florida told me that they bread those love bugs to kill and reduce the mosquito population.  When their out, he said he doesn't ride cuz their brutal!  OBVIOUSLY
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »

I try to avoid riding into them, but this day I was on I-75 on our way to Naples to vist our grandkids. When your at interstate speed you just get low and tight and get it! Thought we left early enough but I must of  thought wrong! next time I'll turn around and go back home! They stink after they have been cooked on the 103 grill! :huepfenlol2:
Surprised you didn't show this picture again...

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »

Surprised you didn't show this picture again...

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Why D00d, why?  :nixweiss: Are you his 'wing-man' in trying to gross us all out?  :nervous: spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »

Why D00d, why?  :nixweiss: Are you his 'wing-man' in trying to gross us all out?  :nervous: spyder
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: It's a :pumpkin: thing. ;) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »

When do the love bugs come out in Florida?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 04:49:02 AM »

When do the love bugs come out in Florida?
Usually April - May and then again in Aug- Sept here in Tpa Bay area.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »

Living in the wonderful south central US - bugs means crawfish!!!!  I have never had them stuck to my bike.

I do the old wet towel trick.  15-30 minutes, and everything wipes off.  Cheapest solution I have found.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »

I have always had good luck with soaking a towel in warm water and laying it over the area with the bugs. After 20-30 minutes the bugs seem to be reconstituted to a point where they can be sprayed off with mist from the hose.  After that I apply Mothers cleaner followed by their polish and wax. 

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:28 PM »

Well I finally got a chance to try a few things and I started with the wet towel trick and let it soak for 45 min. (They have been there for 6 months  >:( )The soaking did a great job but I still have marks in the finish kinda like the mark you get soaping windows.  I rubbed on they with micro fiber but they are still there.  I need it to get warmer (55 degrees) out so I can really get after it.

Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks guys,

Rick

BTW the wet dryer sheet kinda worked but I was worried about scratching the paint

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:46 AM »

where in Michigan are you?  if you are close, you can bring it here to the shop and I can have my detailer fix it in 10 minutes!  Otherwise, buy yourself a clay bar and follow the instructions.  That should fix it, however bug guts do a nasty job on the clear coat, especially eating away at it for six months.  None the less, a clay bar, light compound with a pad, and some glaze should do the job!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

55post

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

Sprayaway glass cleaner!  Spray the whole front end and let it soack while you are getting the wash bucker ready.  Wash as normal and bingo, no bugs.

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE, Ivory and Gold delivered 12/17/11
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »

I'll reinforce the warm wet towel. When touring I'll ask the Best Western for an old towel and soak it dripping, then drape it over the windshield/fairing. Next morning, it will wipe clean. Also agree not to use paper towel. Will check out the links on the products.
'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
Clearview shield 14.5" with vent
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Candy Cobalt/Twilight BLUE RG
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »

I whore bath mine with bug slide between washes.  Makes the next round of bugs wipe right off.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »

where in Michigan are you?  if you are close, you can bring it here to the shop and I can have my detailer fix it in 10 minutes!  Otherwise, buy yourself a clay bar and follow the instructions.  That should fix it, however bug guts do a nasty job on the clear coat, especially eating away at it for six months.  None the less, a clay bar, light compound with a pad, and some glaze should do the job!

Muskegon,MI

Wish I was headed your way soon.  My Dad has been going to U of M for the past 8 months but he is now done with his treatment and not sure when I'm getting back that way.  I have a 3m clay bar but have never used it.  I guess I'm scared to.

Topper

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2012, 10:53:59 PM »

I'll reinforce the warm wet towel. When touring I'll ask the Best Western for an old towel and soak it dripping, then drape it over the windshield/fairing. Next morning, it will wipe clean. Also agree not to use paper towel. Will check out the links on the products.

I think I might try this overnight soak.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »

I whore bath mine with bug slide between washes.  Makes the next round of bugs wipe right off.

I'm lovin the whole WHORE BATH thing and will be top on my list once I get it cleaned. :2vrolijk_21:

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 11:15:41 PM »

this is just something we need to get used to since we drive on thr right hand side of the road....down under we drive on the left and the bugs are going the same way....simple geography :2vrolijk_21:
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »

this is just something we need to get used to since we drive on thr right hand side of the road....down under we drive on the left and the bugs are going the same way....simple geography :2vrolijk_21:

I'll try driving on the other side of the road but it could get dangerous.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:40 PM »

I'll try driving on the other side of the road but it could get dangerous.
wont be worrying about bugs for long tho
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »

Looking forward to the summer riding here but with all the rice fields the bugs get bad. I have used the Harley spray on wash an it works pretty good. The towel soak also does a good job. One thing not to do like with a removable windshield is soak it in the tub with dish washing soap. It will corrode the acorn nuts. Lesson learned.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:16 AM »

I have always used shamwows soaked and draped over the front overnite they come off easy azz ...also have used glare polish on everything

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »

I think you're going to have to polish your problem out.  All these remedies are great but you have a different problem.  I've had the same problem.  The fairing was clean and smooth but in the right light you can still see the bug splatter, kinda like a stain.

If you're not handy with a buffer don't try it yourself, take it to a professional and get it buffed out.  To save money take the fairing off and hand it to the guy.  Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

You could go to your local parts store and buy some 3M professional polish Perfect it 06064 #2 this will remove the stains.  Apply with a microfiber cloth.  Be prepared to work at it.  If you do this by hand it is safe.  Then finish with Perfect it 06085 #1 polish and you'll be brand new again.  I do this procedure every spring with a buffer.  Kinda laboring by hand though.

Another product I think works awesome is Turtle wax bug and tar remover.  Follow the instructions on the bottle and it works great.  Leaves a great shine.  This is what I use during the riding season.  Works as good as bugslide.

Good luck
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

thanks bud.  I bought one of those 3 " random orbital buffers from Griots. Thinking I might try this.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/orbitals+and+car+polishing+tools/professional+3+inch+random+orbital.do

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »

Something like that will work great.  Stay away from wool pads just use foam and you should be safe from burning any edges.  You'll be surprised how much you will use a tool like that.

I have a full fledged buffer and all the polishes and 3M pads.  Once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake. 

3M has a product called trizact 3000 that you can basically polish out a scratch by hand if you don't have the orbital sander.  This will take a ton of work out of buffing.  You can actually use this product on the whole fairing and then buff.  Your bug goo will be history and it won't abuse your clear coat like a heavy grit polish will.  I've been using this process for years.

If you want more info just give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

319 470 2873
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

Tim & Diann

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 09:40:28 PM »

I am very particular about our bikes and use "Texas Two Step."  Works great on the bugs and as a dry wash .  I never leave the bug juice on overnight. 

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »

Something like that will work great.  Stay away from wool pads just use foam and you should be safe from burning any edges.  You'll be surprised how much you will use a tool like that.

I have a full fledged buffer and all the polishes and 3M pads.  Once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake. 

3M has a product called trizact 3000 that you can basically polish out a scratch by hand if you don't have the orbital sander.  This will take a ton of work out of buffing.  You can actually use this product on the whole fairing and then buff.  Your bug goo will be history and it won't abuse your clear coat like a heavy grit polish will.  I've been using this process for years.

If you want more info just give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

319 470 2873

Thank you very much, I might take you up on that offer.

Rick

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2012, 03:10:06 PM »

I had a professional car detailer working on my car and had him polish the wires black paint and then apply Opticoat. It is one of the new nano coatings and he says the bugs do not stick to the coating and is a long lasting treatment that beads water for years. We'll see. :2vrolijk_21:

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE, Ivory and Gold delivered 12/17/11
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2012, 11:35:52 PM »

Dr. D, please keep us informed, that's an interesting alternative...
'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
Clearview shield 14.5" with vent
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2012, 06:40:23 AM »

I have been reading this thread for a while. I have learned of many products and techniques to remove bugs from windshields and fairings.  Tell me what you think of this. I am not sure if this product or method has been covered.  Several years ago I was at a rally and participated in a bike show. Early in the morning I went to a carwash for some shine-time. Bugs were everywhere, and they were a problem. I had this idea to use the shaving foam from the saddlebags. Parked in the shade preventing it from drying quickly, with my large Walmark towel socked with water, it works great with a little sock time. The only problem that I experience now is it produces a lotion film that needs buffing with some shine and a soft towel.  I make my own shine solution that anyone came make. :2vrolijk_21:
Jcarl
• I picked up my pal October 12, 2007
This is my slogan coined years ago, "I love to ride and ride what I love" I am an artist and photographer down in Houston, Texas that loves the two wheel experience.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »

Without going through all the pages of this thread I'll toss in my 2 cents. A wet dryer sheet works wonders. I also wax mine with a product called Rejex. Got it at a local Ace hardware. Designed for boats and airplanes and chit like that. Easy on, easy off and even helps keep the dust off. Airlines use it to help prevent the soot from the engines building up on the planes.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2012, 09:12:50 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: Lot of good suggestions here. I use the Harley Bug Spray a lot. I spray on and let soak for 30 seconds or so then wipe the heavy ones off lightly, getting what I can off then spray again always using a clean area of the microfiber towel. When the bugs are gone I clean with Meguiar's Quick Detailer. I wax with Meguiar's quite regular too. All this is what I call the Rag Bath, when I don't have time to do the whole wash thing. I just heard about the dryer sheet thing some where else and thought I'd try it on the chrome forks, head light, ect. I wet a used one, scrubed lightly, followed with a wet mico then dried with a mico. Works Great! Not trying that on the paint though! Sorry for the book! Ride Safe and Clean  ;D

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »

Dr. D, please keep us informed, that's an interesting alternative...

We are(were) going about this backwards. Don't let the bugs get a hold in the first place.This Opticoat is the answer. My life loves it and has all the others wanting this coating. The bugs do not stick to it and it beads water better than a BP oil slick. I had it put on my sports car and at the first wash was going to pressure rinse the front end to see if the bugs came off as easily as the detailer said they would. I got lazy and did not hook up the pressure washer and just turned the hose one it with a finger over the end to focus the spray. 95% of the bugs fell off without a rag in hand. I am getting it on all my cars and bikes. I have learned a lot from this guy from "Trushine". My professional detailer even criticized my microfiber rags saying they were worn out and holding particulates that would damage paint. There are a lot of ways to mistreat these painted surfaces.

I hate to tell you guys but if you look closely at  your clearcoat it is trashed. You need a paint correction with a cutting polish followed by the Clearcoat protection . No need to wax for four years. No I am not a paid spokesman just thrilled with the product.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »

We are(were) going about this backwards. Don't let the bugs get a hold in the first place.This Opticoat is the answer. My life loves it and has all the others wanting this coating. The bugs do not stick to it and it beads water better than a BP oil slick. I had it put on my sports car and at the first wash was going to pressure rinse the front end to see if the bugs came off as easily as the detailer said they would. I got lazy and did not hook up the pressure washer and just turned the hose one it with a finger over the end to focus the spray. 95% of the bugs fell off without a rag in hand. I am getting it on all my cars and bikes. I have learned a lot from this guy from "Trushine". My professional detailer even criticized my microfiber rags saying they were worn out and holding particulates that would damage paint. There are a lot of ways to mistreat these painted surfaces.

I hate to tell you guys but if you look closely at  your clearcoat it is trashed. You need a paint correction with a cutting polish followed by the Clearcoat protection . No need to wax for four years. No I am not a paid spokesman just thrilled with the product.

Website or dealer info?

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

Mongo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Electra Glide Ultra, Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »

I lay a microfiber towel over the batwing and drown it with water. Then I let it sit and begin rinsing off the rest of the bike. By about five minutes on the batwing everything pretty much hoses off.  ;D

Mongo

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2012, 12:20:55 AM »

Used the wet towel for the longest time and loved it till I tried the peroxide trick.
I spray the wing and front end parts down liberally, then  hose most of the foaming bugs  off.
The rest come off when I go over everything with a wash towel.
I just love all the smart people on this site.

Just sayin

Big Dave 

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2012, 09:33:01 AM »

Used the wet towel for the longest time and loved it till I tried the peroxide trick.
I spray the wing and front end parts down liberally, then  hose most of the foaming bugs  off.

Just sayin

Big Dave 
What is thr peroxide mixture? 50/50 with water? And you do spray it on the painted surfaces too?

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »

I'm sorry but can not help.

I have always wondered why I can ride my bike and hit every bug imaginable.  Drive my van or pickup with 5 times the frontal area and have less bug splatter.     :nixweiss:

Works GREAT!!!
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »

I carry the small prepacked bug remover wet napkins from HD with me. I try to get the bugs of every night, only takes a few minutes.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2012, 12:27:51 AM »

Just sayin

Big Dave 

HUH   :nixweiss: I have never heard of this one

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2012, 01:48:51 AM »

HUH   :nixweiss: I have never heard of this one
Neither have I.....I'm assuming it's just a weak drug store concentration...cause there's high concentrations at pulp mills that'll set your leather boots on fire on contact.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 24 queries.