Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing Glare From Textured Black Plastic  (Read 3395 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Removing Glare From Textured Black Plastic
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:24:01 PM »

The black plastic cowl on my truck has got that white haze on it that some polishes leave behind on those types of surfaces.  It's not horrible, but I can see it and would like to get if off.  I think it's from the Spider and not the Professional Polish since I don't notice it on some other places where I used only the Pro Polish.

Can the Glare folks, or anyone else with suggestions, tell me what to use to try getting it off?

Most polishes today don't mess up textured black plastic like they did a few years ago, so I wasn't anticipating this.  Next time I'll run some masking tape around these areas to avoid getting the polish where I don't want it.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Removing Glare From Textured Black Plastic
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:44:53 PM »

Brian,  I've had a can of 3M Adhesive remover around the basement for years...it comes in a pint or so size with one of those cut to size spouts on it and a cap...I've used this same can for years to remove adhesives, tar, wax, etc from all kinds of surfaces...it will remove almost anything...will not harm the paint or plastic.  You will have to treat the plastic with something like GLARE LEATHER TREATMENT which forms a Cosmic Gravitational Bond (DH...surely you are not a Physicist too) with whatever it is applied to  ;D ;D to get the dark black look again. The GLARE stuff works great on leather, vinyl, or plastic pieces  ;)  Seriously....

There may be other products that work better for removing the polish now, but this stuff still works for me and lasts forever.  I originally bought it to remove the decal/adhesive from my bass boat license sticker, but have found it useful for all kinds of stuff I wanted to get off of surfaces.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Glarepro

• Vendor
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 06:33:53 PM »

The instructions on the back of the bottle of the GLARE Pro Polish actually covers this specific situation.
The good news is that the white stain is not permanent, the bad news is that you'll have to mix a solution of GLARE ULTRA WASH and water and get a soft toothbrush to scrub it out.  You may follow with a rub down of GLARE VINYL & LEATHER PROTECTANT or GLARE TIRE MAGIC after your done.  That will clean it up!
Try to avoid those types of materials next time.  Its really not a big deal since the stain is not permanent, its just an extra step that you have to go through at the end if you accidentally get it on those kinds of materials.
Sorry about that.  Like I said, it does mention to avoid those kinds of materials on the back of the bottle if you read the label.
Its just the nature of the beast.
Some people mask those areas off as a precaution, most just control where the product spreads to and avoid contact with those types of materials.  Normally its materials such as leather, vinyl, rubber, fabric, and rough or porous materials like textured plastic or canvas (like the kind used for convertible tops).
Just try to avoid such materials and if you accidentally get some product on those types of materials its no big deal, it comes out.  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:38:02 PM by Glarepro »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 06:44:18 PM »

Brian...I've some of all those products he mentions, so if you need some, just let me know!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:03:46 PM »

Thanks for the post, Glarepro.  You're right, I do recall the directions caution against what I did, but so do most products on the market today and yet it's rare that they actually do leave the residue behind.  Typically, and even in this case, I do/did my best to avoid the cowl, but I was using my orbital polisher and the cowl ended up being collateral damage.

I figured there was a way to get it off, so thanks for tip!  Next time, I'll be more careful.

Terry, thanks for the offer! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Lemme give it a couple days' thought.  I'm thinkin' I probably just need to order the other stuff to have around for myself, though.

Rhino

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:28:19 PM »

I dun this too many times too, getting the white haze.  It took a while to figure it out, that it is NOT the polish causing the problem, it's the tiny texture in the material that traps everything. IF you take a magnifying glass to the surface affected, you will see what I mean.  It took a lot of teethbrushing to get the fibers in them little nooks for sure, then all was well with the world.

Rhino

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:03:51 AM »

There is an easy way to remove white polish marks on black textured surfaces, While having a snack! Peanut butter, use the creamy kind (not crunchy), this will remove the offensive white mark and then can be easily rinsed away.

DavRex

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 11:46:56 AM »

Spray a lot of armour all on the black then go over it with a bristle brush. Works every time let me know how it works out....

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 06:39:47 AM »

The instructions on the back of the bottle of the GLARE Pro Polish actually covers this specific situation.
The good news is that the white stain is not permanent, the bad news is that you'll have to mix a solution of GLARE ULTRA WASH and water and get a soft toothbrush to scrub it out.  You may follow with a rub down of GLARE VINYL & LEATHER PROTECTANT or GLARE TIRE MAGIC after your done.  That will clean it up!
Try to avoid those types of materials next time.  Its really not a big deal since the stain is not permanent, its just an extra step that you have to go through at the end if you accidentally get it on those kinds of materials.
Sorry about that.  Like I said, it does mention to avoid those kinds of materials on the back of the bottle if you read the label.
Its just the nature of the beast.
Some people mask those areas off as a precaution, most just control where the product spreads to and avoid contact with those types of materials.  Normally its materials such as leather, vinyl, rubber, fabric, and rough or porous materials like textured plastic or canvas (like the kind used for convertible tops).
Just try to avoid such materials and if you accidentally get some product on those types of materials its no big deal, it comes out.  

"Labels, we don't need no stinkin labels", real men don't read labels (or instructions). That way we get to do many steps in our projects (and repeat, often) ;D

Rhino

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 06:47:07 PM »

Use acetone and a cotton swab....carefully. It is almost the only thing that will get glare off completely, like for painting, etc.  It MAY soften vinly,plastic and rubber, so be careful.  Also MEK will do it also.  Dilute it of course, and have that toothbrush handy, with a wet rag to get it off all the way.

That GLARE is so good, but it is semipermanent.  Won me an award over the weekend, my bike is so F%^&$n shiny and slippery.

Rhino

(justthebestperiod)

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 08:24:44 PM »

Hey guy's I was serious about the peanut butter, just don't use the crunchy type. The oils in the product will disolve the sloppily used wax. :o Besides it's environmentally friendly. ;D

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 24 queries.