Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bluetooth into older radio  (Read 673 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
bluetooth into older radio
« on: April 01, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »

I am looking at the new Garmin Zumo XT or the 396 LMT-S. Neither of these have an audio out plug in the wiring harness that I can plug into the radio's aux in, in my 2010 CVO UC. It appears that no new Garmin motorcycle product has audio out anymore, only bluetooth connectivity. But I can't just get a bluetooth headset because then I don't have access to my CB radio or the Harley Harmon Kardon radio. Is there a product that can link (pair) the zumo xt with the older harley radios that can then be plugged into the harley radio's aux in?

If so, can you please be specific where I can get the bluetooth product and how it works? Thanks.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: bluetooth into older radio
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 09:12:24 PM »

if you plug something into the aux in and have the radio on aux, does the cb still operate?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:47:43 PM »

if you plug something into the aux in and have the radio on aux, does the cb still operate?

Yes

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 10:00:12 PM »

so it would still work then if you got a bluetooth receiver that you plugged into your aux input and then connected via bluetooth to the gps?

something along theses lines:

when i had my 13, i used something like this.  kept it in the side compartment along with my phone and just ran a cable to the aux in port.  you don't want to use one of the hard plugs as that will have too much weight hanging off the port and can break the circuit board.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:03:58 PM by skratch »

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 11:08:41 PM »

A little receiver could work but it seems like it would be a bit of a hassle to continually charge it. I did get on the IronCross website and I see that they offer a built-in Bluetooth into the Harley radio. I'll give them a call and see if I can learn more about how it works.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 09:42:03 AM »

i used a little receiver like i pictured on mine.  i was able to get a full day of riding before the internal battery needed to be recharged.  but i agree, the iron cross solution is a cleaner look.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 12:20:30 PM »

The Iron Cross option is input only (just FYI).  So it would work as an input source from a Garmin, phone, or other device.  Would not play back to headphone, helmet speakers or other receivers though.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 07:04:31 PM »

The Iron Cross option is input only (just FYI).  So it would work as an input source from a Garmin, phone, or other device.  Would not play back to headphone, helmet speakers or other receivers though.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say it would not play back to headphone or helmet speakers. If it works as an input source, where does it go from there?

I spoke to Tony at Iron Cross Audio at length today. He told me there are two options. First, and best option is a bluetooth interface module similar to the xm and cb radio modules. You install it then you toggle the mode button, i.e., am/fm/xm, cb, weather, aux etc. So a new mode would appear that is for the bluetooth interface. If it is paired to a Zumo or phone, you can select the music and stream it into your wired headphone speakers (that are attached with a cord to your wired harley jack), right from the left handlebar switches and the songs appear in the radio display (and on the device that is paired to the interface). The other option is a bluetooth receiver built into the radio and you still stream the music from your zumo or phone into your wired headphone speakers but it works through the aux mode and you cannot control what you are listening to from handlebar switches. You have to choose the songs from the zumo or phone device.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 25 queries.