Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: New 2013 Honda Goldwing FB6  (Read 64288 times)

ultrarider123

Re: New 2013 Honda Goldwing FB6
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2012, 08:25:49 AM »

Mark, I've picked one part of your quote:
     "Harley is on the road to improvement, all the recent changes seem to indicate that. But they still have a ways to go before they hit the dependability level of a good Japanese bike. Now I know that there are folks out there with good solid bullet proof Wednesday made Harleys that have never had a problem. But judging by most of the posts here and on other sites, most of those are the exception, and not the rule, especially in the CVO category."

This is exactly the same thing that was said about the Motor Company back in the 80's when they introduced the Evo on their way out from under AMF, in the hay-day 90's, the 2000's with the twin cam issues and now we are saying the same things in this decade.  While I am "all in" on Harley's (spent too much on t-shirts/leather/trinkets/etc. to get another brand... :2vrolijk_21: ) and agree with the adage that if you don't improve or strive to be better every day, you become stagnant, this improvement/dependability road is going on almost 30 years since the AMF days.  At what point do we stop giving Harley this out?  You would think with all the money flowing, brand loyalty, and pretty good machinery the MoCo does put out, reliablity would be the last thing we would be discussing here.

ultrarider123

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2012, 08:28:44 AM »

I like it.  It would be a great daily driver for work, I could retire my 84 GW stripper.

BTW, great looking 1200 ya got there Gank.  Don't see many of these around these days in that great a shape... :2vrolijk_21:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »

At what point do we stop giving Harley this out?  You would think with all the money flowing, brand loyalty, and pretty good machinery the MoCo does put out, reliablity would be the last thing we would be discussing here.

The only way I can respond to that is to say that "each man has their own breaking point". For some it may have happened when they owned a bike with Magnetti-Marelli fuel injection, For others it may been replacing their 4th stator. Others may need TWO grenading 11Os, or a 3rd set of lifters.

The way I see it, as consumers we can bitch, whine, complain and all that. But we saw what the MoCo did with the whole wobble issue, even when identified by police. From a cost stand point it's easier and less expensive for their legal unit to cut 7 people checks for "X" amount of money than it is to redesign and retool a whole generation of bikes. Plus the resulting class action law suits based on those admitted changes would be damaging. Legally speaking, one should never admit error, and then announce that any product changes are pursuant to the error. It's cheaper to just pay off a few folks, and then release the "new improved" version that has all the nex fixes on it.

But I could be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »

The only way I can respond to that is to say that "each man has their own breaking point". For some it may have happened when they owned a bike with Magnetti-Marelli fuel injection, For others it may been replacing their 4th stator. Others may need TWO grenading 11Os, or a 3rd set of lifters.

The way I see it, as consumers we can bitch, whine, complain and all that. But we saw what the MoCo did with the whole wobble issue, even when identified by police. From a cost stand point it's easier and less expensive for their legal unit to cut 7 people checks for "X" amount of money than it is to redesign and retool a whole generation of bikes. Plus the resulting class action law suits based on those admitted changes would be damaging. Legally speaking, one should never admit error, and then announce that any product changes are pursuant to the error. It's cheaper to just pay off a few folks, and then release the "new improved" version that has all the nex fixes on it.

But I could be wrong.

You're not wrong. I think you said it perfectly.

Anytime I've ever tried other bikes (GW and BMW) I have always kept my HD. I want to see and ride one of these. If I bought one...I'd have to keep my Harley.  :P

Don't know what that has to do with anything here, just sayinsall!  :drink:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »

I like the new Honda FB6. I think it looks nice and I bet it really handles nicely.
Look at it this way, would you like a bike that out accelerates ,out maneuvers your current bike? It also costs $10,000 -$15,000 less and you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to "get it to run right". Imagine that you could just go to a dealer and throw a leg over a bike and ride away and enjoy riding without worrying about breakdowns or overheating.
I'm in no hurry to give up my Harley but if I was in the market to buy I bike I would look at the Honda. I like the feeling of motorcycling and try not to get caught up in the "us against them" philosophy.
If Harley is planning for the future they need to modernize and to make a true turn key bike that would attract and retain younger bikers.
Just my .02 though.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2012, 01:40:14 PM »

No floorboards= fail.... ;)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »

I like the feeling of motorcycling and try not to get caught up in the "us against them" philosophy.

Well said.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »

No floorboards= fail.... ;)

That's an easy fix, just open an accessory catalog and buy some. Easy bolt on.
To say no floor boards = fail is like saying the SERG is a failure because it doesn't come from the factory with a tourpack.

I'd rather buy a bike and slap on floorboards than buy a bike and have to change head pipes, change the mufflers, get a tuner, change the air cleaner, consider a cam and maybe head work, and have all this done right from the start before you even take delivery of it. But that's exactly what many of us do just so we will be happy with it.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2012, 02:15:03 PM »

No tour pack= serg fail. :D

I'd be happy to have either have one....easy does it... ;)

I got extra wiseass on my donut this morning.... :huepfenjump3:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:32:18 PM by miker »

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2012, 10:06:59 PM »

they also make great generators and lawnmowers
as for a bike i like my harley the best
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2012, 01:34:37 AM »

they also make great generators

Especially back in 07 with all the head gasket and other engine issues (and since to a lesser degree) some might have thought Harley was getting in to smoke generators.  These were the Gen II smoke generators though; right after the Evo rocker boxes.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2012, 05:08:47 AM »

As much as we speak of rich blood lines, American Heritage, pure bred (same as in-bred), Harley-Davidson,....we cannot forget the Dark Days. The sad era of AMF. It was interesting to own an AMF Harley, AMF Bowling Ball, AMF Golf Cart, and AMF mask, fins and snorkel. Today we hear stories of gaskets, lifters, compensators, and stators going bad in less than 6K. Back then there were bikes that caught fire on the show room floor, blew up batteries, and had parts falling off in the lot.

So yes, Harley HAS improved, even if by a smaller margin than expected.
Although we still have parts falling off new bikes, the paint jobs are outstanding!

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2012, 05:52:24 AM »

I like the look, especially since the trunk and saddlebags didn't match in design. Think I'd rather get the full model and take parts off to get the look but that defeats the lighter weight. I'll be more interested if they go to a GL2000 with a 6th gear.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2012, 06:37:55 AM »

Looks like Honda has a new sporty version of the Goldwing.  FB6.  What's your thoughts?

http://powersports.honda.com/Touring/2013/gold-wing-f6b.aspx
You never gave us any of your thoughts.  :oops: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »

I sat on one last weekend at the IMS show in San Mateo. I have to say, it looks better in person than on a picture, and will soon be available in red, which I think will make it look even better.

I for one am just about at the end of my Harley rope, tired of the valve train noise and the patented answer "It's Normal", tired of having to replace the oil every 2500 miles, because it's burnt from running so hot, tired of being stuck with a $297 rear tire and have no other options without changing wheels, poor dealer service, and I could go on......

My cousin just purchased a K1600GTL, I have to tell you, it's a very nice bike and is loaded with options, 160hp, ABS, GPS, and a stereo that bluetooths to your helmet. $27,000, sure making it hard not to make a change.....
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.