Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Needing help with my audio decisions please.  (Read 1583 times)

Skullglide09

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Needing help with my audio decisions please.
« on: May 24, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »

Hey there I've got a 2012 cvo road glide "skunk" and have had it about 3 weeks and already blown the speakers somehow. What are my choices for replacement speakers as far as bike brands. I've seen hogtunes and j&m but I really like the stuff I've seen from Hawg wired. At the same token I hear lots about changing out the deck and using car Audio stuff like hertz what would be the best route to go without cutting wires or very minimal wire cutting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Needing help with my audio decisions please.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »

Focals KRX2's arguably the best out there but probably the most expensive also. I play mine at absolutely obscene levels (Boarzilla pipes, Schuberth FF helmet, twitchy right wrist) and no distortion or problems.
Alan

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »

The '12 CVO RGs and SGs have 1 ohm speakers and amps, so there's no easy or cheap way to up grade them.  The MoCo apparently wanted to make the system proprietary, so folks would be more inclined to buy their crappy, overpriced merchandise.

I opted to go with a Biketronics setup.  The speakers are BT/Hybrid Audio Technologies 7.1" speakers for the uppers and rear pods, and the BT 4180 amp.  They also have good speakers for the saddle bags.  I also wanted Bluetooth and Pandora, so I replaced the head unit with a Sony unit.  A big reason I went this route was because BT provides all the connectors and harnesses, which made installation simple.  I like doing the install myself, and it was pretty much idiot proof.

The fairing lowers are more limited in their options.  I'm only aware of a couple speakers made that can fit the lowers.  JM makes a 7.25" Rokker that fits, and  HogTunes sells a 7" speaker and amp setup.  I think both would be overpowered by the BT setup.  There may be other speakers for the lowers that I haven't come across.

Good luck!

Dan

Skullglide09

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:06:41 AM »

Thank you SDCVO yeah I hear the focals are awesome but I have seen the price on them too. Thank you for the help.

Skullglide09

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »

Lilcoot ok I'll look into those and see what I can come up with thank you for the help.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 12:37:08 AM »

You're welcome.  Unfortunately, there's really no inexpensive way to get decent sound.  Arc Audio has excellent amps, also.

good luck

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 06:19:41 AM »

You really will be limited with the stock amp. Those speakers are only 1ohm.  I did an Arc audio amp which works great.  Sits right on the radio. You can go with focal 165krc and just unplug the stock tweeters. The Focals are coaxials. That combination should work great without breaking your checkbook in half.  Call Pete at Sounds.  He can make it very easy for you.    Stuart.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »

+1 for the Biketronics.  Love mine.

Gumballs

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 03:58:46 PM »

This may be a silly questions but I'm not an audio guy.  Since stock speakers and amp are 1ohm does the head unit need to be replaced or can someone just replace stock speakers/amp and replace with better speakers (Hertz) and amp (arc)?

Skullglide09

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »

I'm not dead sue on that but I believe you have to replace the head unit as well.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »

On the '09 SERG, I went with J&M Rokkers / XTs in the fairing / lowers, Rokker 500w mounted in the fairing, sent the stock HK to Iron Cross Audio for Preamp Outs, Bluetooth, Rear Aux (in glove box).

J&M stuff is all plug n play, sounds Great! 

Blows up the parking lot with the best of 'em

Clear music at 90+!         No issues...

Purchased from Eastern Performance Cycles. Good Prices.

Great Customer  Service from ICA, J&M and EPC!

For trips, we have Shark Evoline3s, w/ Cardo Q3 Teamsets, Great Sound (just have to take your time and place the speakers directly in your ears),
Purchased from Revzilla, Outstanding Customer Service!
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 11:12:59 PM »

This may be a silly questions but I'm not an audio guy.  Since stock speakers and amp are 1ohm does the head unit need to be replaced or can someone just replace stock speakers/amp and replace with better speakers (Hertz) and amp (arc)?
do not need to replace HU
Alan

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:39:42 PM »

your head unit is just fine,,,  get rid of that POS amp or 2..  get a good amp 4 ohm,, good speakers and you'll be very happy..  you have all the info right here...   stuart
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:08:46 PM by cvostu »

Gumballs

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »

Thanks for the feedback......so what I'll do is keep the 2012 CVO Roadglide stock head unit and replace the stock amp with a good aftermarket 4 channel amp....disconnect the tweeters in the fairing and add two 3-way Hertz 4ohm 5x7 speakers in the fairing and two 6x9's in the Hogtunes lid covers.  If anyone has any more suggestions based on your experience please share.  Just hoping I can get what I want to hear from stock head unit with the addition of amp and speakers.....rt now treble is all the way down bass is 1/2 way up and it still wayyyy too much treble and very distorted. 

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »

Thanks for the feedback......so what I'll do is keep the 2012 CVO Roadglide stock head unit and replace the stock amp with a good aftermarket 4 channel amp....disconnect the tweeters in the fairing and add two 3-way Hertz 4ohm 5x7 speakers in the fairing and two 6x9's in the Hogtunes lid covers.  If anyone has any more suggestions based on your experience please share.  Just hoping I can get what I want to hear from stock head unit with the addition of amp and speakers.....rt now treble is all the way down bass is 1/2 way up and it still wayyyy too much treble and very distorted.

No matter what amp / speakers you decide on, if you want quality sound, send the HK to Iron Cross Audio and have preamp outs installed.

Lid covers are ok in the parking lot, any sound that you hear above 40mph will be coming from the front. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:56:37 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 24 queries.