Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Additional addornments for the Convertible  (Read 10005 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Additional addornments for the Convertible
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »

At least you found the error.  Personalizing your ride is part of the experience.  It seems everyone wants to "set theirs off.  Enjoy!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 04:32:13 PM »

Well, folks, today I ventured into the land of No-return.  I began in earnest to customize the passenger footboards so they will fit the bike and of course moved the stock footpegs up to the engine guard to be used as highway pegs.  The footboard "mounts" must be customized with a file or some other device to be able to fit them around the large chrome cap (that covers the head of the rear fork pivot shaft) as well as groove out the backside just a bit to make clearance for the inserts on both sides of the frame.  And I have a call in right now to confirm which mount goes on which side of the bike (one is 1/2" longer than the other as it sticks out to receive the footboard support.  I am pretty sure it is the longer one on the right side of the bike so it will clear the exhaust pipes but more so it is symetrically shaped left and right of the bike.  But as it important, I am waiting to confirm from my vendor.  If anybody is interested, I will detail the part numbers and issues concerning completing this job to complete the Rumble collection footboard adaptation for this bike. 

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »

Well, folks, today I ventured into the land of No-return.  I began in earnest to customize the passenger footboards so they will fit the bike and of course moved the stock footpegs up to the engine guard to be used as highway pegs.  The footboard "mounts" must be customized with a file or some other device to be able to fit them around the large chrome cap (that covers the head of the rear fork pivot shaft) as well as groove out the backside just a bit to make clearance for the inserts on both sides of the frame.  And I have a call in right now to confirm which mount goes on which side of the bike (one is 1/2" longer than the other as it sticks out to receive the footboard support.  I am pretty sure it is the longer one on the right side of the bike so it will clear the exhaust pipes but more so it is symetrically shaped left and right of the bike.  But as it important, I am waiting to confirm from my vendor.  If anybody is interested, I will detail the part numbers and issues concerning completing this job to complete the Rumble collection footboard adaptation for this bike. 

A picture is worth a thousand words ya know.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »

Unfortunately, these pictures may be only worth 600 words.  Not everybody has a studio quality camera/set up and a computer that is ready and willing.  My computer definitely has a schedule all of its own but it has relented and allowed me to post something.......this time.  For this project you will also need saddlebag bracket relocation kit # 90238-00.  For those who may not know, you are not relocating the saddlebag, per se.  You are merely you are merely mounting the end of the saddlebag bracket to a bar supplied in the kit versus the original bar that comes on the bike (in this case, the red bar on the convertible).  It is pictured in picture # 2.  And it mounts directly behind the red frame of the bike where the footboard "mount" bolts to the frame. It uses the same bolt and just have to add the washer and nut.  That is all after the mount is installed to the frame. 
Now, the "mount" itself:   Notice in picture # 1 of the 2 mounts.  Why they come black and not chrome, I do not know.  I chose kit # 50460-06 (chrome) and it comes with black 'mounts' and chrome supports (for the footboard itself).  In the picture hopefully you can see that the mount on the left has a longer shaft(the part that will stick out from the bike and receives the 'support').  That is the part that goes on the right side of the bike and is 1/2" longer because its mounting location is slightly inboard compared to the left side.  Both parts will clear the exhaust pipes, no problem.  But the mounting point does not sit under the passenger seat symmetrically so this balances the appearance as well as being comfortable for the passenger's feet placement.  The instruction sheet supplied specifies they are different part #'s but doesn't label the part itself.  that was learned by trial and error.  Now you will notice the bike has large chrome caps that cover the head of the pivot shaft and also painted inserts in the frame.  I paid good money to have those things when I purchased the bike and prefer to keep them.  That is the reason for these modifications in the first place.  I will now post the pictures and then continue the article. 

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »

picture #1 showing mounts and where to carve, etc.
remember, the backside of the mount is where you will carve to make room for the frame 'insert'.  Have to mount it loosely on the bike and make your groove accordingly.  I did mine by mounting it in a bench vise and using a good-sized file and just keep filing until it gives just enough clearance. You only have to carve on the upper part of the mount as clearance isn't a problem for the bottom half.  You will see.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »

Here is picture # 2 and hopefully it will all come together.  This shows the new saddlebag mounting bar (it is just an elongated S-shape, sort of.  Also shows where you need to carve for clearance for the frame insert.  It is just a "file-mount and check the fit-file again" process.  But the end result is one that allows you to keep those 'spensive precious metal caps we paid big bucks for and also put footboards on to give your passenger added comfort and stability.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 11:22:23 AM »

Ah, yes, and there are 2000 words for you.   :2vrolijk_21:
The whole process takes some time but as this is a custom bike, we have to do some custom work from time to time.  Harley is not making this part for the bike so far, so have to do it ourselves in the meantime.  Doing all this alteration to the "mount" alleviates having to carve on the red-painted frame insert.  Also, the chrome cap will not fit over the top of the unaltered "mount".  When you get this part carved and grooved, of course you have to put some black primer on it or it will continue to rust.  It is powder-coated from the factory but my plan is to have it chromed to match the rest of the bike.  But probably black primer in the short-term.  Don't have any idea how much $ it may be to have it chromed but just seems to be the best idea as I have destroyed the integrity of the powder coat finish thus far. 
To start out on carving out for the chrome cap, I installed just the cap (here, another Harley mis-sight.......they have a support collar for the exhaust pipe so close to the cap that you must carefully loosen the nut for it and slide it down to make clearance to remove the chrome cap on the right side only).  (the other Harley screw up is mounting the rear axle bolt from the right side so have to remove the exhaust pipe when you replace the rear tire.  How dumb is that??  Did that on my '05 and they broke a bolt in the pipe and had to replace with a new exhaust pipe, under warranty of course, but what the ????  then they replaced it from the left side.  Duhhhhhh!!!)  Anyway........next I traced with a sharpie around the cap.  Now remove the cap and put the "mount" in place.  Now is the time to carve for the clearance around the frame insert.  Just carve to fit close.  When that is done, it will fit flush to the frame of the bike.  Now you can line it up symetrically and make marks on the end of the "mount" so you will know where to carve out for the chrome cap.  The rest is up to you.  Make sure you do the shorter "mount" on the left side of the bike and the longer one on the right side.  when you are done, it will be a great custom fit that few people have.  And now I know why the bike didn't come with these adornments in the first place!!!!  Harley probably saw the shortcomings and didn't want to invest the time or money........just yet.  Probably next year's model will have these mods taken care of.   Sometimes one just has to be a pioneer.  ha! 

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »

Bdeya, bdeya, Merry Christmas, one and all!!!  I'm goin' for a ride!

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 10:49:01 PM »

Well, Christmas and New years are over and time for some more pics and information for those venturing toward new stuff.  Or maybe you got some new stuff from Santy Claus.  If you got yourself a trunk/support rack, you will find that you also need to have extensions for the docking points.  It is actually called a docking kit.  Comes with 6 docking points (why, I'm not sure because you only will be able to use 4 of them.  Maybe Harley just wants us to have extras??)  Anyway, the kit comes with longer, 2-3/4" bolts where the stock ones are 2-1/4".  Pretty much same finish but they use the allen bolt type of socket rather than the Torx, which I have grown to like.   If anybody can send me 4 of the ones I desire, I will gladly pay you for them.  Anyway, In this shot from the rear, it illustrates why you need the longer bolts and the docking kit. (yes, the bike comes with detachable docking kit but these are extentions and you have to have them when using the trunk or the saddlebags will not attach to the bolts because the trunk frame is in the way.  A not too complicated design change to the trunk support frame could have alleviated this but we're only talking 1/2" longer on each side so isn't the end of the world.)  The inner thick black plastic bushing at the rear accepts the trunk support and the outer "extended" bushing will then accept the saddlebag mounting rail.  The saddlebags should mount and dismount with ease, both sides, and mine has taken a little TLC to get things working right.  Originally, whoever mounted the bags forced things where they didn't want to be forced and badly chipped the black plastic bushings on the left side of the bag.  took an act of congress to remove the bag the first time to see what the problem was.  Now it is fixed and working nicely.  Can't believe it would have been anybody from the York factory as the workmanship on these bikes is superb!  Highly figure it is some flunky (my salesman??) at the dealership that handles these bikes like they were a 1984 Yamaha 80 or something.  Anyway, hope the picture comes out good.   

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »

I see many here have installed the "Mustache" engine guard on their bike. I think it looks great on the Convertible. I was jus wondering what brand it is???

Is it a H-D part or aftermarket?
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »

Hey, Gamma, welcome to the forum.  Can't speak for others because I don't know for sure which pictures you are referring to.  Harley does make a mustache engine guard that looks great and is standard equipment I believe on the CVO Street Glide.  Mine is the traditional style and harley also makes it.  they do a great job of chroming and is a substantial piece of equipment.  My own view is that the mustache effect is for putting your feet in on the road.  I have tried that and found it to be very uncomfortable.  I have gone with the extended footpegs as that seems the more natural position for my legs, feet, etc.  Many people, many legs, many feet, many ideas.       that is what keeps our sport so un-cookiecutter-like.  Again, welcome.

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »

We pick the bike up Friday. It is for my wife  :love_3: She is moving up from a Sportster 1200 Low. She won't ride it until I put and engine guard on it. I like the look of the Mustache. She won't be using it for highway bars as she wouldn't be able to reach. Maybe someone will chime in with the brand on theirs. I hope you don't mind me asking on your thread, it's sort of an addornment ???
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

skyhi1

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 06:15:17 PM »

Here is picture # 2 and hopefully it will all come together.  This shows the new saddlebag mounting bar (it is just an elongated S-shape, sort of.  Also shows where you need to carve for clearance for the frame insert.  It is just a "file-mount and check the fit-file again" process.  But the end result is one that allows you to keep those 'spensive precious metal caps we paid big bucks for and also put footboards on to give your passenger added comfort and stability.
hey porky what holds the chrome cap on and can you file or cut a slot in the cap to go over the mount
FOR THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR IT. FREEDOM HAS A RING THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »

I put the H-D 49140-05A on mine.
Bought it on ebay for 149.95.

paconico1992

• Senior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015/16/17/18 CVO Street Glides
    • CVO2: 2010 Softtail Convertible
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 07:22:22 PM »

Mustache bar is the best way to go on the 2010 convertible.
That's what I have on mine.

Paconico1992
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.659 seconds with 24 queries.