Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: New Windshields for ConV!  (Read 10569 times)

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
New Windshields for ConV!
« on: January 03, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »

Well I have not ordered one yet but at this time it looks like the best option for the shield issue. I just found this but I will order one before spring. If anyone gets one before that please let me know how it works.

I am so happy as this was the only thing I don't like about the bike at this time. :apple:
http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/cvo_softtail_conv_ws.html

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Re: New Windshields for ConV!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:48:47 PM »

Wow, this looks very interesting. I am doing my best to resist buying anthing until I see what shows up at the International Motorcycle Show in NY on January 22-24. I am hoping that I can see it first hand.

Mike V.
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »

Wow, this looks very interesting. I am doing my best to resist buying anything until I see what shows up at the International Motorcycle Show in NY on January 22-24. I am hoping that I can see it first hand.

Mike V.

Ya me to...Im going to wait until I see if Moco comes out with anything first. But I am relieved to know I have a option other than going to a full shield.

goldfar

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:24:47 AM »

Sure LOOKS like a good solution.  I'm guessing the tall model will improve the buffeting issue best but that sure looks like a lot of unsuported area.  What I mean is that most aftermarket shields that size incorporate chrome metal bands to reinforce the acrilic.

Any of you engineers out there have an opinion?
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »

Ditto to that.  Hard to beat the looks and performance of the Harley windshield on the FatBoy.  Wider, a bit more aerodynamic it appears, and you get the chrome cross-bars with which to bolt your thermometer/clock/compass to.  The stock windshield on this bike should have been shorter (way shorter) as it is virtually useless in my opinion.  Who can see anything thru it?  I am close to going with something that is a bit taller and clear but am anxious to see what comes from the Harley January bike show I've heard about.   Plus I have been doing a bit of reading on the pros and cons of Lexan versus acrylic.  Not sure I am ready to go into the acrylic world just yet.

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »

Not sure I am ready to go into the acrylic world just yet.

Do tell...what is the difference? Is one better than the other, i thought about the Fatboy windshield but then i would loose the front piece.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »

Yes, exactly!!  The front piece (fairing, that we all paid probably at leeeeaaaast $500 for).  I will search a bit and post what I found as far as pros/cons of each. 

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:47:44 AM »

here is a video I found right off the bat by searching for "lexan versus acrylic motorcycle windshield" on the internet.  Check out this site:

http://community.cruisercustomizing.com/_Windshield-Evaluation-Tip-of-the-Week-from-Cruiser-Customizing-by-Kyle-Bradshaw/video/848014/22960.html

Haven't watched it but it looks like it def has potential to be informative.
I will keep searching.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »

Here is another video.  http://www.ztechnik.com/ztechNews/Poly_WMV.html
Ooooh, it doesn't look too great for acrylic.

goldfar

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:32:19 AM »

OK, is it just me or were you all expecting them to whip out a low-yield, nuclear weapon next, say about 5 megatons and after the denotation, wander through the ruins of whatever town they are in and the only thing left standing amongst the ruined buildings and bridges is the lexan windshield?

I sure do like the look of that shield in the original link, the one that mounts to the color matched fairing that we all now own.  Any one make a LEXAN wind screen that fits it??
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:10:16 AM »

I can't speak for everyone but it looked as though they applied most everything they had toward destruction of the Lexan windshield and other than making marks on or in it, it didn't give way.  I have hope that Harley is listening to people (maybe they even read these forums??) and is cooking up something as we speak that will resolve this.  What they provided on our bikes is a great product but I simply don't understand a 1. dark as night?? windshield.  Why didn't they just extend the color right up to the top cause nobody can see thru it anyway.  2. Did they forget to test ride the bike for buffeting, windtoss, etc??  It does look cool but just not practical for running down the road with bags, trunk, for rallys, etc.  I think it should have come with a full sized clear shield and then in an accessory bag (included, of course) they give us a really short dark shield for looking cool on those short jaunts around town after we've checked into our hotel, etc. etc.   The farther I get into this "convertible" thing, it really isn't too practical or easy to just rip everything off and cruise the strip.  But I bought the bike for multiple reasons and so am adapting.  I believe they will take care of us soon.  We just have to be patient because nobody knows the plans that are in the works or mods that are set to hit the street soon..........just yet.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:13:30 PM by porkypig »

goldfar

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 04:46:51 PM »

OK, someone had to go first - I ordered a shield from CeeBailey.  I went with 8 inches taller (than stock) with a light tint.  It's not Lexan but as long as no one throws rocks, swings at me with a bat or starts shooting, I guess it'll be OK.

Pics and a full buffet report as soon as I get it and AS SOON AS IT STOPS SNOWING HERE IN GEORGIA!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:48:33 PM by goldfar »
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »

OK, someone had to go first - I ordered a shield from CeeBailey.  I went with 8 inches taller (than stock) with a light tint.  It's not Lexan but as long as no one throws rocks, swings at me with a bat or starts shooting, I guess it'll be OK.

Pics and a full buffet report as soon as I get it and AS SOON AS IT STOPS SNOWING HERE IN GEORGIA!

Sweet let me know how you like it, I'm going to get one but it will be another 3 months before I can ride. So I was not in a hurry.

Blueyz0416

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »

I plan to stay with the Fatboy winshield for now; use the stock conv one if desired in the summer, and wait for a lexan version (or something a little more sturdy/braced) before swapping out the stock shield next Fall.  Definitely will not be going acrylic, but that's just me.
Carol

2010 CVO Softail Convertible, "Scarlett"

goldfar

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »

Sweet let me know how you like it, I'm going to get one but it will be another 3 months before I can ride.

Here is the definitive answer (as best I can give it) on the best "other" windshield for the Conv.

I ordered the CeeBailey and received it a week ago.  I ordered the Plus 8" height in light tint (since I would be looking through it).  The install was easy, remove the 4 bolts that hold the existing "mini" windshield, swap shields, return bolts.  There was a warning sticker on the new shield that said to use a pounds per inch torque  wrench and tightened to x number of inch/pounds or whatever or you may crack the shield.  I simply snugged them up - no cracking so far.  Then I took a ride and got her up to at least 85 mph.  Seemed like a lot of wind coming in from the sides around top of rearview mirror height.

Next, I "borrowed" a Fat Boy windshield from the best dealer around, Killer Creek.  The Fat Boy shield is what Blueyz0416 uses on her Conv.  It is about the same height but just a few inches WIDER.  Guess what, guys - those 2 inches made all the difference in the world!  Much less buffeting, etc.  Plus, the Fat Boy shield is Lexan, the CeeBailey is acrylic.  I bought the Fat Boy shield and will use that most of the time.

Bear in mind, the CeeBailey shield incorporates the color matched mini faring that comes with our bikes, the Fat Boy does not.  So the "How does it look" issue becomes one of personal preference.  All I can say is that the fat Boy shield does what you would expect from a windshield, BLOCK THE WIND, the other does not.

Crimson Red/Autum Haze
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.