Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want Saddlebag guards for Softail Convertible?? Time to Speak up!!  (Read 2745 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3

Hey, what happened??  Did everybody fall asleep?   :sleeping: Ok, here's our chance, folks!!!    :soapbox: As most people know by now, the MoCo is not making saddlebag guards (like part # 49261-00A on page 302 of the 2010 Harley parts catalog and like the picture down below) at this time.  However, we also know they read this site and if enough of us are interested, maybe they’ll consider developing this part.  So, here's what I'd like you all to do.  Look up this part number in your catalog (it is the one for the FLSTC Softail Heritage) and then ask yourself how precious are the legs of your passenger?  How important is the peaceful, assured feeling of your passenger that you care about their safety just as much as you care about your own? That if the bike goes down, there will be something between their leg and the pavement.  There are no guarantees, certainly, and I know they talk about them only being designed basically for if the bike falls down while standing still in the parking lot..... but since my last little bumper-bender in 1977 where I bent the bumper of a 1976 Pinto wagon (now I've gone and dated myself) as I breezed past to avoid a sure rear-ender.......it bent the crash bar on my '77 Honda 750 but my leg was absolutely unscathed.  Had a good bend in the bar and couldn't bend it back but you know what?  It served its purpose and then some!  Same on these rear saddlebag guards I'm proposing.  So, you have to ask yourself.....do you want to protect your passenger whom you know and love??  well, do ya?   (just a little Dirty Harry ditty thrown in.......dang, ya gotta love that guy!!!)   anyway, folks, let me hear from you, one and all, and let's make this cash register ring!!!!  Show me at least 100 desires for this and I will send their people a "stimulus package" so they will know what "our people" say!!!  Also, I'm guessing they are probably going to make this bike again in 2011 and that gives somebody 6 months to design a pair of them for us......wow, that sounds complicated :idea2:........
Now, even those of you who most often only read these threads.....comes a time when it is most advantageous to speak up and be recognized....today is that time.......many years from now when you are old men and laying in your beds.....oh, that's from Braveheart....sorry..... well, I think you all get the picture.  Here's an opportunity to have something truly custom made for our custom made bikes.  Doesn't happen very often.   So, let me hear from everybody!!!  Porky

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:44:41 PM by porkypig »

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Re: Want Saddlebag guards for Softail Convertible?? Time to Speak up!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »

Count me in. While I won't always have them on, when I gear up for long trips they will certainly be on the bike. The same goes for the front guard as well. It will live on the bike part time - a good example is the winter months and the weather breaks (like this weekend  :orange: ) when the roads have those lovely patches of sand left from the last snowstorm. I really don't mind the extra effort taking them on and off once in a while.  I have not put any on the convertible yet and given the nicely painted frame, I want to find a way to add them without the bolts marring the finish. I am thinking about nylon washers next to any metal surface touching the paint. Has anyone tried this?

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »

I did mine with red electrical tape. A couple layers on the chrome part itself and you can not see it at all.  And I think it should work well as well as your idea of the washers.  It is beautiful paint and we did pay a lotttttt of $ for it.   And face it, our ideas change from time to time.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

You know, since the premise for this bike is that it strips down clean for the street, another mod the MoCo could think about is making the saddlebag guard a "quick release" sort of thing.  Of course it would have to be engineered so the strength would be there when called upon.  But I would think with the ingenious minds that built this bike to begin with, something could also be fashioned to make then go on as well as come off "quickly" and look clean.  I mean, really, the bars are about 1" if memory serves me from my Heritage.  That should be some serious "meat" to work with.   

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »

Well, what started out like a novel idea seems to have made the balloon land.  Not much interest in this it seems. 

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.