Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Moto Lights on the Convertible?  (Read 5599 times)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Moto Lights on the Convertible?
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:52:55 PM »

I have been thinking of ways of adding more light up front. The small headlamp and the dim turn signals leave me wanting more. So what do you guys think of the Moto lights on the Convertible? They look nice and balanced on the baggers but I am worried they may look out of place on the bike when its all stripped down in cruiser mode. I am really on the fence about these but I have found any alternatives that I like better. Any ideas?

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Moto Lights on the Convertible?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »

I have been thinking of ways of adding more light up front. The small headlamp and the dim turn signals leave me wanting more. So what do you guys think of the Moto lights on the Convertible? They look nice and balanced on the baggers but I am worried they may look out of place on the bike when its all stripped down in cruiser mode. I am really on the fence about these but I have found any alternatives that I like better. Any ideas?

Mike

I think they will look good.
It will give your bike a very distinctive look!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »

what the heck are moto lights?? 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »

ahhhh.   Gotcha!  I have a set of HD Fog Lights that I plan to mount on the lower forks where they attach to the fender.  Right now they are virtually 'dummies' mounted on the engine guard.  55 W halogen bulbs.  Anybody have any experience with them as far as effective??

HD Addict

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:51:04 AM »

I wanted extra light up front as well and so I developed my own custom passing light bracket, high polished chrome plated, and then just purchased the HD lights and buckets.  Looks great...the bike is still sitting at the dealers waiting for the rest of my mods and the snow to melt.  Everyone who sees the passing lamps comment on how good they look and they blend in very well with the windshield removed.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 11:13:14 AM »

Hey that looks great, nicely done! Do you have any more shots with the windshield on and a close up of the brackets?

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »

are you saying they won't work with the windshield in place??   thanks. Porky

HD Addict

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »

Here's a pic I took with the windshield on...I don't have a close up of the bracket.  I'll have to run over to the dealership sometime today or tomorrow and get a close up pic.

HD Addict

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »

I also designed the bracket to accomodate a standard HD Softail windshield because I read on this blog that many of the riders don't like the small dark smoked windshield.  So with the flip of the gromet, I can go from the CVO windshield to a standard Softail windshield.  Here's a picture with the other windshield.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »

Hey, Add,  welcome to the Forum.  Did you use the windshield part # that is elsewhere on this forum for a Fatboy?   Looks pretty good.  Would you mind describing how you tied the lights in electrically?  Do they go off when you have your high beam on, and operate on/off with a toggle switch like on a Heritage?   Good color choice, also.  What is the height of the windshield?  Is it lightly smoked 19" ?  Looking forward to pics showing the closeup of the bracket..........

HD Addict

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »

Hey PP - I'm not sure if the windshield is the same as the one discussed for the fatboy.  It's just a standard HD quick-release compact 19" clear windshield for the Softail.  I only modified the mounting hardware so I could flip the gromet and the bushing giving me the ability to go from the smoked windshield to the clear windshield.  The design of the mounting hardware for the passing lights allows me to change the location of the gromet to accept either of the quick release windshields.  As far as the wiring for the lights, I can usually think outside of the box to fix a problem, but the wiring was done by the dealership.  Because the CVO was not wired to accept passing lights, I do have the problem with the passing lights going off when you flip the high beams.  I avoid the cops, and I just won't flash my high beams at anyone.  When I get a minute I'll get a close up of the mounting hardware for the passing lights.

HD Addict

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »

Hey PP - P.S. the passing lights do operate with a toggle switch, so I can turn them off and use the high beams.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »

Wow!  without wanting to attract to much attention your way, it looks like you may be on to something here.  I really enjoyed having my driving lights tied right into the wiring on my Heritage so that when the highbeam was on, the driving lights went out. also, on low beam I could flick the toggle switdh and the driving lights would come on or go off.  I'm just not clear on "flipping this grommet thing" that you were referring to but anxiously await some closeups pics so we can see what you are doing.  This bike is the first of its nature so many new horizons to explore and many pioneers up to the challenge.   Pork

HD Addict

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:52 AM »

Hey Pork - Here is a closer picture of the mounting hardware.  What I mean by "flipping the gromet" is that I can remove the chrome button head bolt from the top of the mounting hardware for the passing light, and take off an aluminum machined bushing "basically a spacer I made to accept the mounting hardware for the passing lights", I also take off the rubber gromet "this is the part where the windshield snaps over" and swap places with the machined bushing and the rubber gromet.  In the picture you will see that the rubber gromet on the top is next to the forks.  By swapping places with the machined bushing and placing the machined bushing next to the forks, and the rubber gromet closer to the mounting hardware for the passing lights, and I can use a standard HD windshield, instead of the CVO windshiled.  I can only do this because I created an independent mounting hardware for the passing lights that allows me to change the position of the hardware, because the hardware on the right and left side is not fixed with a connecting bar.  Clear as mud??

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 09:44:28 PM »

Do you plan to mount the front turn signals to the bottom of the passing lamps?
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »

I went to a local custom shop and saw the motolights installed on a 03 SE Deuce. I was surprised that they were not quite as obtrusive as I thought. I was worried that they may look out of place on the ConV but they were not that bad. The real problem was that cable. Ugh! Even with the steel braid sleeve it was big and unsightly. And you need one on each side for each light - it was not pretty. For me that was a put off and I am going to pass on them for now. I am hoping that some really bright LED driving lights make their way to market that don't require as much current and as such can share a smaller single wire that I can tie off to the brake line.

So I decided to go with Radianz LEDs to replace my standard turn signal bulbs front and rear and convert the headlight to HID. I'll run with that and see how I like it. I can always go back and add the motos later.

Mike
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.