Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Think I'm Going To Make My Own Windshield  (Read 1950 times)

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
Think I'm Going To Make My Own Windshield
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »

How frickin hard can it be.  Clear-view has the best shields I have ever used and they have no interest in making one for this bike. I think I can buy one of their blemished ones and alter it. I have a shape in my mind (thats scary) that I think will work. I will make a template to the bolt pattern from the 17 inch Cee Baily shield to a piece of card board. With the Clearveiw shield I will be able to make it wider and shape it the way I want.  I will transfer the card board template to the Clear-view and take it to a windshield company to be drilled and cut.

It may not work but it is worth a try, will be fun to see what happens. I think we should start a poll on how many dumb ass mistakes I make along the way.... :confused5:

jdm100

Re: Think I'm Going To Make My Own Windshield
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:45:46 PM »

I think we should adjust the poll to this  :

" As a new CVO Convertible Owner, do you feel the OEM H/D windshield is utterly USELESS and you actually are more comfortable riding this motorcycle Without a windshield ?
   There are at least 1800 of us that have purchased this motorcycle and we Want H/D to make things right ---provide us with another windshield design that works !!"

Rode mine today for the 3rd time,  the wind buffeting is Unacceptable-downright painful !!.  For a quick test, I dropped the shield and road the same roadway at the same speed and was profoundly much more comfortable!   

PS: I am not a newbie to H/D, owned 3 bikes so far.    Hopefully they will realize making things right with their customers is first priority in turning the company around.

Dave

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:56:44 PM »

Newdep (Dave)...  sounds like fun!!  Poster board works well for windshield patterns. Give her a try. 7, lucky #7 mistakes... got to count them all, don't cheat.

Jdm (Dave) Welcome to the forum..  Yeah, we all are having issues with the stock shield. I think most of us are using the fatboy HD windshield for now. I doubt the mother ship will concern itself with doing a redesign.  :nixweiss:

-wiz (Dave)

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »

Have you checked with Windvest? I have a friend who sent his complete unit for them to use as a templet.
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »

Wiz,

I chickened out and just bought one,  :nervous: :-\

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:11:30 PM »

Wiz,

I chickened out and just bought one,  :nervous: :-\

Awwww.. and I live so well vicariously through you guys too.  :cherry:

I really think you are going to like the fatboy shield... wifey seems to love it although the mid size tint cuts here line of vision. I may end up breaking out my poster board and blue painters tape. She said not to cut it yet until she yells uncle.

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 05:59:05 PM »

Believe it or not, I didn't have a real problem with my shield's performance. I was able to smoke and ride no problem. But I just hated the look of it. I won a new recurve shield for my Ultra from LRS for a best chrome contest. When it came I decided to make it fit the CVO. It wasn't hard at all, although my width is a 1/4 inch short because I didn't measure correctly, no big deal. Now I can't smoke and ride anymore because this shield is alot shorter than stock, but I like the looks and don't plan on any long distance riding, so all is good.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:03:59 PM by ezpgh »

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »

1 more pic from the side view.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:09:10 PM by ezpgh »

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 10:05:13 AM »

What's the height on the LRS?
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 11:56:21 AM »

What's the height on the LRS?
This one is 9"

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »

I don't own one of these bikes but working with plastics isn't that hard.

The hardest part for the untalented (me) is getting the exact pattern laid out on the shield. You want to have it laid out exactly how you want it in something like 3m fine line tape. Once this is done use a very fine saw blade to make the cut just outside of your tape. You want to reach the final size with sandpaper. I have always done the sanding by hand for more control. Start with about 120 grit and work your way up to 1000 in small steps. Once you have it sanded in the perfect shape, all thats left is polishing out the edges for a perfectly smooth glossy finish. You want to use jewlers rouge (you can get it at Lowes) for the polishing.  It is very labor intensive, but if you have a weekend to kill why not?

Just remember let the tools do the work!!!! When working with plastics you have to go slow and not burn or melt it. DO a test cut on the extreme side of what wont be used to get your technique down and confidence up. Drilling mounting holes is no biggie either just use 4-5 drill bits to work up to the final size and again go slow. You can use masking tape to help keep the bit from "walking" 

Good luck guys.

If anyone is brave enough post some pics as you go.

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.