Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: ConV Mod... midframe deflectors  (Read 6881 times)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
ConV Mod... midframe deflectors
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:13:24 PM »

This is a set of RJ's (No more fried thighs) mid frame deflectors. I originally thought about the beauty it would hide on the ConV or there would be damage to the painted oil tank... the wifey had her doubts too. RJ makes a great product, no doubt, and has made sure no paint damage will be had. I've heard of his deflectors sitting on an exhaust pipe for more than a year with no melting of his product or damage to the bike. A police bike to be exact and when RJ saw them we went to adjust them but was told not to... the LEO liked it that way. These deflectors will outlast the bike.

We put them on due to the 90+* heat we've been suffering lately. Just got to say they really do work well and look just as nice. The heat coming up from the exhaust and rear jug is all but eliminated.

Great job RJ.    http://www.rjsoriginals.com/

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Re: ConV Mod... midframe deflectors
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 02:59:58 PM »

Looks nice Wiz what did that co$t ya?. Was it very involved putting them on? I could see using those during the summer months and taking them off in the spring / fall.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »

Looks nice Wiz what did that co$t ya?. Was it very involved putting them on? I could see using those during the summer months and taking them off in the spring / fall.

MikeV

Mike

Only takes a few minutes to install. They are not expensive but just a little more in cost than the plastic stuff that HD sells for the touring bikes. Speaking of which... I removed the HD ones from the SESG. They packed super heated air under my seat and roasted the chestnuts. These allow the air to flow to the back instead of scooping and holding it. I've already discussed getting them for the SESG and tossing the HD's in the garbage where they belong. (sounds like sumpting I would do huh?)

If you want to check them out use that link, the price is on the front page then send them an email. There are several styles and since they are all hand made you can design your own. I'll bet you leave them on year around.

-wiz

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 05:03:53 AM »

looks good on there  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:16:12 AM »

Really seems to help the thigh heat Lever. They are Mrs. Wizard approved if you care to try them and she's a tough sell.

fadyco

• CVO1: 2009 Fatbob FXDFSE Sunrise Yellow
    • CVO2: 2010 Softail Convertible FLSTSE Orange
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »

Hello Mr. Wizard,

Your mods look good and i will try it out since i'm facing the same heat issues here (100+ weather).  I also noticed you have the mustache engine guard with additional pegs, can you please give me the part numbers for those foot-pegs?

Thanks!

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:17:30 AM »

They are part of the Rumble Collection and the same as your passenger pegs.
The foot pegs are not available via one part number. Here is the set of numbers you will need.

51453-09 Chrome Finned Body
51459-09 Rubber Tread
50351-03 Foot peg Frame Mount
4625 Button Socket Screw

When ordering make sure ALL the parts are there. Which include the following pieces:

94409-03    Screw                         
45041-01A  Clevis Pin                     
50912-72    Spring Washer             
11304        Retaining Ring

It's a good idea to put all the pieces together before you leave to make sure some of the parts aren't lost or robbed from the bags.

fadyco

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:22:27 AM »

The part number for the rear gear shift would also be great ;)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »

Oops...

Don't have that one. She uses the heal shifter, I don't, so I took the one off of my SESG and put it on her ConV.

However...  click here -->  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=43360.msg662506;topicseen#msg662506

See post #12 by Porky

Although we need to teach him how to use shorter paragraphs I believe you will find what you are looking for.

Sorry Porky!   :D

fadyco

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »

Thank you; you are exceptionally helpful  :orange:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:56:33 AM »

No worries... had the information on a sales receipt at my desk.

When they tell you how much they are, try not to fall over.  :-\

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »

I'm using these: http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/13/scID/29/IMID/837

Check out the second pic and zoom in.
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »

Any scratches due to cleaning or rub wear on the poly or on the bike?

There's a blanket that someone makes, Irish name of some sort. I heard if you use the blanket it retains heat and will melt wiring and stuff under it. I don't have one so this is second hand info... maybe fifth hand info, I don't know. I do know, however, the HD ones will roast your chestnuts.

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »

The part number for the rear gear shift would also be great ;)

33668-07 lever
33960-09 peg thread
33961-09 peg cover
4196 screw
50784-97 spacer tube

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 12:01:20 AM »

No problems. I have the Touring version on the CUSE.  Kuryakyn makes pretty good stuff IMO.

Any scratches due to cleaning or rub wear on the poly or on the bike?

There's a blanket that someone makes, Irish name of some sort. I heard if you use the blanket it retains heat and will melt wiring and stuff under it. I don't have one so this is second hand info... maybe fifth hand info, I don't know. I do know, however, the HD ones will roast your chestnuts.

2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »

This is a set of RJ's (No more fried thighs) mid frame deflectors. I originally thought about the beauty it would hide on the ConV or there would be damage to the painted oil tank... the wifey had her doubts too. RJ makes a great product, no doubt, and has made sure no paint damage will be had. I've heard of his deflectors sitting on an exhaust pipe for more than a year with no melting of his product or damage to the bike. A police bike to be exact and when RJ saw them we went to adjust them but was told not to... the LEO liked it that way. These deflectors will outlast the bike.

We put them on due to the 90+* heat we've been suffering lately. Just got to say they really do work well and look just as nice. The heat coming up from the exhaust and rear jug is all but eliminated.

Great job RJ.    http://www.rjsoriginals.com/

You forgot to say the guy at RJ's is a total d$@k. He only takes paypal or money order. How can anyone run a business these days being like that. I won't deal with him!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:37:28 PM by RCFlyer »
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »

You forgot to say the guy at RJ's is a total dick. He only takes paypal or money order. How can anyone run a business these days being like that. I won't deal with him!!

Hummmm...

RJ (the only guy there that I know of) has always been easy to deal with and very helpful to me or anyone else that has spoken of RJ's stuff. You're the first I've ever heard complain.

I've never had an issue using PayPal (although MO's are a pain). Using PayPal doesn't cost any extra except for the seller. Now, if his product was crap then I could see an issue.  :nixweiss:

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »

Hummmm...

RJ (the only guy there that I know of) has always been easy to deal with and very helpful to me or anyone else that has spoken of RJ's stuff. You're the first I've ever heard complain.

I've never had an issue using PayPal (although MO's are a pain). Using PayPal doesn't cost any extra except for the seller. Now, if his product was crap then I could see an issue.  :nixweiss:

I called him to place a phone order and before I could even ask a question, he said I don't take credit cards over the phone. He shut me down before I could even ask him what to order. I was very disappointed in his attitude. He said use paypal pr MO so I said fine and hung up.  I don't have a problem with paypal, but it makes me wonder why he won't take credit cards? I think he's shutting out a lot of business by doing so. I think the product looks good but I'm hesitant to deal with him. Just my opinion.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 06:46:17 PM »

Whoa.....  guys, guys...  go easy..

RJ, maybe RC misunderstood you, RC, maybe you misunderstood RJ.

All I know is that his product that I use works and are of top quality in my humble opinion. I wouldn't have posted it here if I didn't think so. Give it another chance guys and let this misunderstanding be water under the bridge.    :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Reboot anybody?  Is it Friday yet?? 

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »

How dare you! You called my place of business, right in the middle of a tornado warning we had going on here about 4 miles from me and I said, to make it quick, right off the bat that I cant accept CC purchases over the phone. I take orders through Pay Pal, through my web site or you can purchase by mail order. Then you hung up! So now I see you run in here and call me a dick? So not to be distasteful in my choice words for you as you ran in here to post slander about me. Go purchase another product. Ive your name and number and will refuse to sell you my product. For any others that do purchase my product. I use pay pal. If there's a mess up through accounting. They have to take care of the problem. Not me. This is why I don't bother with CC over the phone. Also there are riders that worry about giving their CC numbers verbally on the phone or even on line. Thats why I offer a mail order option.

RJ

Hey RJ, if you remember correctly you cracked a joke and I didn't laugh so you made some snide remark. You don't even take phone calls from people without unblocking their number. Maybe you're just paranoid. Go take your shields and keep them to yourself. I really don't need you or your products! Enough said. I'm done with you and you're done with me. I really don't care.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:39:02 PM by RCFlyer »
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 11:42:53 PM »

While I might not use the term that RC Flyer used, I would have to agree that RJ does conduct business in an abnormal way and it does call into question his integrity.  At least where his interaction (or lack of) with me went.  You can read the posts in this thread and decide for yourselves.......
    http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1221.msg11118#msg11118
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »

While I might not use the term that RC Flyer used, I would have to agree that RJ does conduct business in an abnormal way and it does call into question his integrity.  At least where his interaction (or lack of) with me went.  You can read the posts in this thread and decide for yourselves.......
    http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1221.msg11118#msg11118

Thanks for the thread JCZ. I read it from top to bottom. Seems like a mysterious business owner doesn’t it? I guess you would have to question a guy’s character for not following through with a free deal like that back from Nov 2004. I wonder what year his business started and if he could afford all those freebies at that time. I don’t know. It did read later on that you were going to pass his product around later in the thread but when I read it, it seemed at first that he was being asked for a bunch of free product.

I also see starting at post # 18 through 30, just before the thread about died, he had satisfied customers. I think the last post was you asking everyone to refrain from the heat issue on the rider and passenger and concentrate on getting the temps for the rear jug on Aug 2008 some four years later the thread was started.

I do have a question though. Maybe you being a Moderator could answer this for me. I see his post was dated Nov 2004 yet his account of Zoood was set up on March 2005. I also see where he made a post but his post count is 0. Now looking above I see there is a new account name, Zoood1 and his account date was yesterday and has 1 post count. What do you think happened to his account? Was he snuffed for some reason? If so, could you tell us why?

Now, I have no dog in the hunt for questioning or vouching for anyone’s character either here or elsewhere respectfully. But being a senior consultant and site administrator for 10 years on a discussion site much larger than our site here I have to ask such questions. I also have to ask them in such a way as not to irritate a site moderator such as yourself or risk losing my account here, again respectfully.

This thread was made because this product works for me, same as for the others in your posted thread which had been buried for years. Being excited I brought this, new to me, information here for the other ConV owners to know there is a product out there to help with the heat. If anyone wants to question my character for posting the information I bring here, well...  that's fine because it is my thread.

Maybe RJ can discuss this in PM or via email somewhere but this thread is being hindered by questions of character not of the product. I had no issue with him, you or RC but if he has survived in business since the above thread (2004) to this day I would have to agree others aren’t having character or payment issues with him either.

Thanks for listening.

-wiz

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 10:54:18 AM »

I must say I am surprised by this. I know for a fact that he sells a ton of those for tour bikes and I have never seen another complaint. Matter of fact everyone seems to really like them. I think his products may be better than his personality???? You can always try Capt. Itch products also. I have used them and they are great.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 11:48:15 AM »

Mr. Wizard......it was only one set of shields that he was going to send to me.  The forum was a lot smaller back then and because I couldn't use them on my bike (due to previous mods that used the space) I was going to send them to a member to try for a couple of weeks, he was going to forward them to another member for a couple of weeks and so on.  A great form of advertising in my opinion........especially since he offered them up for free (I didn't ask for them)......but then he renigged. :nixweiss:

Definately a flakey way of doing business and a fast track to loosing integrity here.

I'm not easily offended and always try to give the benafit of the doubt......especially where these forums are concerned.  So your question is not out of line nor offensive.  I've already let the other moderators know that he's one and the same and we'll look into why he's posting under a new name after his other name shows 0 posts.

The question still remains.........what effect do these shields have on the rear cylinder temps?  Already, by design it runs much hotter than the front and it appears that these shields would partially block or restrict the natural air flow (even though it makes it more comfortable for the rider) around the rear cylinder.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:07:59 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »

Mr. Wizard......it was only one set of shields that he was going to send to me.  The forum was a lot smaller back then and because I couldn't use them on my bike (due to previous mods that used the space) I was going to send them to a member to try for a couple of weeks, he was going to forward them to another member for a couple of weeks and so on.  A great form of advertising in my opinion........especially since he offered them up for free (I didn't ask for them)......but then he renigged. :nixweiss:

Definately a flakey way of doing business and a fast track to loosing integrity here.

JCZ

I called him and asked what the heck was going on and about the thread you put up here. As any business owner would be, he is unhappy with having a dissatisfied customer, doesn't matter if he is quirky or not it all effects businessmen the same.

He went on to say when that 2004 thread was posted he was slammed with "can I have a trial set too?" and being a new small business he couldn't simply hand make all these and give them away. I don't think you knew about the others asking him for free product behind the scenes, he said after that he couldn't get back into his account thus verifying my question of why his dates and post count were so weird. Somehow his account must have been messed with or there would not be the inconsistencies I spoke of. This is why he sent you an email as to keep it between you guys. Heck, that's pretty good, I can't remember what happened yesterday much less 6 years ago.

I'm sure he's watching this now that he has a new account and doesn't want to disrespect the site by responding with something that would be taken wrong. Like any normal person things go south when you snap off a knee jerk reaction when called names

Anyway, while talking to him I also ordered a set for my SESG and paid via PayPal. I had the HD plastic ones on and they do scoop the jug and pipe heat and pack it under my seat. Nice in the winter but man... it's way too hot to have your nuts roasted now.

Wifey likes them on her ConV and I hope I like them as much on my bike. By the reactions of the posts @ 18 - 30 on the post above I think they will work fine. I will, however, post my findings whether it be positive or negative. I also have the equipment to test the before and after temps under the deflectors and will post that as well.

I'm done, just want to give everyone a fair shake and not keep beating a dead horse.  :beatdeadhorse:

later...

-wiz

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 06:15:45 PM »

JCZ

I called him and asked what the heck was going on and about the thread you put up here. As any business owner would be, he is unhappy with having a dissatisfied customer, doesn't matter if he is quirky or not it all effects businessmen the same.

He went on to say when that 2004 thread was posted he was slammed with "can I have a trial set too?" and being a new small business he couldn't simply hand make all these and give them away. I don't think you knew about the others asking him for free product behind the scenes, he said after that he couldn't get back into his account thus verifying my question of why his dates and post count were so weird. Somehow his account must have been messed with or there would not be the inconsistencies I spoke of. This is why he sent you an email as to keep it between you guys. Heck, that's pretty good, I can't remember what happened yesterday much less 6 years ago.

I'm sure he's watching this now that he has a new account and doesn't want to disrespect the site by responding with something that would be taken wrong. Like any normal person things go south when you snap off a knee jerk reaction when called names

Anyway, while talking to him I also ordered a set for my SESG and paid via PayPal. I had the HD plastic ones on and they do scoop the jug and pipe heat and pack it under my seat. Nice in the winter but man... it's way too hot to have your nuts roasted now.

Wifey likes them on her ConV and I hope I like them as much on my bike. By the reactions of the posts @ 18 - 30 on the post above I think they will work fine. I will, however, post my findings whether it be positive or negative. I also have the equipment to test the before and after temps under the deflectors and will post that as well.

I'm done, just want to give everyone a fair shake and not keep beating a dead horse.  :beatdeadhorse:

later...

-wiz

Let's keep in mind that he solicited me to try a pair free of charge......I didn't request it.  The communication back and forth was over a short period of time......just a few days.  As soon as the issue of heat on the rear cylinder came up and a member posted that he had an infrared heat temp gun, that he'd check the before and after temps........all communication immediatly stopped.  Giving him the benafit of the doubt, I wrote to him a couple of more times.  All of my efforts went unanswered.  That's the facts.

If he was inundated with requests for free sets, I feel that he should have at least sent me a courtesy note explaining that.  No problem.

Oh, by the way, I checked the Ban list.  He was never banned.....not a temporary ban nor a permanent ban and his original account is still active.  If he hadn't deleated his posts, it would reflect the real count. 

Just some very odd business practices and not just my experience. 

I hope that you enjoy your heat shields and that they're everything that you're hoping they are. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »

Let's keep in mind that he solicited me to try a pair free of charge......I didn't request it.  The communication back and forth was over a short period of time......just a few days.  As soon as the issue of heat on the rear cylinder came up and a member posted that he had an infrared heat temp gun, that he'd check the before and after temps........all communication immediatly stopped.  Giving him the benafit of the doubt, I wrote to him a couple of more times.  All of my efforts went unanswered.  That's the facts.

If he was inundated with requests for free sets, I feel that he should have at least sent me a courtesy note explaining that.  No problem.

Oh, by the way, I checked the Ban list.  He was never banned.....not a temporary ban nor a permanent ban and his original account is still active.  If he hadn't deleated his posts, it would reflect the real count. 

Just some very odd business practices and not just my experience. 

I hope that you enjoy your heat shields and that they're everything that you're hoping they are. :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for the follow up on his account...  just seems weird.

I'll let you know how they perform, I will not pull any punches either.

-wiz

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »

I put one of these heat shields on and it didn't seem that much cooler to me. We took a 100 mile ride on Saturday and it was only 74 degrees. There was a lot of heat coming off the rear jug. I'm trying some heat tape next on the pipes. What is everyone else's experience with heat?
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »

Interesting, we are experiencing lower rider temps with them on than without them.

I promised a test of these a while back. Haven't had a chance to test the temps on my SESG yet but the following was a test with a 2010 Harley Tri Glide just a few weeks ago. I also posted it here if you want to read the entire modification report. 

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacked-triked-and-trailering/550510-tg-modifications-the-abc-s-of-removing-rider-heat-a-b-c.html

The Harley TG comes with HD deflectors. Temperatures were taken at the following locations during a 20 minute ride. The main sensor (#1) was installed 1” away from the frame wall under the seating area, just behind the rear cylinder and in the center of the mid frame deflectors with a separate fast acting temperature sensor (#2) fastened under my right thigh just above and to the outside of the knee. The ambient temperature was 91*, speed varied between stopping for street signs up to 50 MPH. The average speed cruising was 45 MPH @ 2500 RPM’s.

The average temps on sensor #1 during the average 45 MPH ride was 145* with a high reading of 178*. While sitting at a 30 second red light the temp rose to 297* before starting the ride again. Sensor #2 on my right thigh averaged 127* with a high reading of 139*. While at the 30 second stop light the high temp crept up to 151*. The average temperature fluxes were corresponding to MPH and RPM’s, the lower the RPM’s the lower the temp as expected.

After removing the HD Mid Frame Deflectors and installing the RJ Originals I ran the test again. Same ambient temperature, same route and the same red light.

The average temps on sensor #1 during the average 45 MPH ride was 122* with a high reading of 159*. While sitting at a 30 second red light the temp rose to 295* before starting the ride again. Sensor #2 on my right thigh averaged 111* with a high reading of 126*. While at the 30 second stop light the high temp crept up to 150*. Again, the average temperature fluxes were corresponding to MPH and RPM’s, the lower the RPM’s the lower the temp as expected

Sensor #1 average reduction was -23* at cruise and a high reading reduction of -19*.
Sensor #2 average reduction was -15* at cruise and a high reading reduction of -13*.

Conclusion, the RJ Originals reduced rider heat and the temperature under the open frame and seat by using the available wind more efficiently and whisking away the rear cylinder and exhaust heat from the rider.

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 04:34:25 PM »

I put one of these heat shields on and it didn't seem that much cooler to me. We took a 100 mile ride on Saturday and it was only 74 degrees. There was a lot of heat coming off the rear jug. I'm trying some heat tape next on the pipes. What is everyone else's experience with heat?

No heat problem here, and we had a very above average summer with temp over 90 many days. My previous bike was an '08 FLHTCU with the 96ci and it was much, much hotter. While cruising on this bike I do not feel ANY heat whatsoever and only mild heat at lights or in heavy traffic. The TTS has much to do with it.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 05:04:55 PM »

No heat problem here, and we had a very above average summer with temp over 90 many days. My previous bike was an '08 FLHTCU with the 96ci and it was much, much hotter. While cruising on this bike I do not feel ANY heat whatsoever and only mild heat at lights or in heavy traffic. The TTS has much to do with it.
I'm not saying it wasn't cooler, just not a lot. I'm going to look at the ThunderMax next as well as wrap the header pipe with tape. I'm running the stock pipes with SE mufflers. Maybe the extra back pressure makes them run at a higher temperature. I'll post after I've made some changes.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 10:37:12 AM »

Having just come off an all day Patriot Guard Rider mission in 95deg heat, I'm really looking forward to trying this product. We had a long 20mph procession to Arlington National Cemetery, then after two hours in the sun, had to fight rush hour traffic all the way back to Annapolis. Wound up with a dangerous case of heat exhaustion, forcing me off the bike at an Exxon station where I had to sit on a curb pouring two bottles of cold water over me and drinking two additional bottles. My son's a paramedic and told me I'm lucky I didn't wind up in an ambulance.

Along with the symptoms that came on quick, I remember the heat off the seat. The temp on the bike was about 250, and would climb to 275 in stop and go. But again the heat was damn near painful and I'm sure contributed to my problems (BTW...I did drink a lot of water during the day, but didn't have time to eat, and my son said that also contributed to my condition). Also a 62, I'm not 25 anymore...so the next time, screw getting home after the mission..., I'll stop for dinner and more water, and get some rest before the drive home.

I do plan to order the same set as Mr. Wiz has, but I have a question. Can these be taken off easily when cooler weather returns?

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »

I do plan to order the same set as Mr. Wiz has, but I have a question. Can these be taken off easily when cooler weather returns?

It is held on my a few tie wraps and some clips that loop around the frame and oil line on the left side. If you use re-usable tie-wraps, they should come off very easily. You need to remove the seat first, then clip the tie-wraps and they'll come right off. I plan on leaving mine on all the time. We'll see when the cooler weather sets in. BTW, I never wrapped my pipes. I purchased the V&H 2 into 1 and it does seem to be a bit cooler now.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »

Having just come off an all day Patriot Guard Rider mission in 95deg heat, I'm really looking forward to trying this product. We had a long 20mph procession to Arlington National Cemetery, then after two hours in the sun, had to fight rush hour traffic all the way back to Annapolis. Wound up with a dangerous case of heat exhaustion, forcing me off the bike at an Exxon station where I had to sit on a curb pouring two bottles of cold water over me and drinking two additional bottles. My son's a paramedic and told me I'm lucky I didn't wind up in an ambulance.

Along with the symptoms that came on quick, I remember the heat off the seat. The temp on the bike was about 250, and would climb to 275 in stop and go. But again the heat was damn near painful and I'm sure contributed to my problems (BTW...I did drink a lot of water during the day, but didn't have time to eat, and my son said that also contributed to my condition). Also a 62, I'm not 25 anymore...so the next time, screw getting home after the mission..., I'll stop for dinner and more water, and get some rest before the drive home.

RC has it right GB...

I too ride for the PGR and heat is a factor. Too many missions, too many that should have come safely.

I use the mid frame deflectors and it does help with rider comfort while at parade but it will not help the bike until you get some air moving. I think it is a good product and it's a little high dollar because it is well made and will last.

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »

RCFlyer;

Thanks for the info...really appreciate the response.

Mr. Wizard

Honored to meet another PGR brother. I hate the young KIA missions, but am honored none the less to "Stand for Those Who Stood for US"

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »

RCFlyer;

Thanks for the info...really appreciate the response.

Mr. Wizard

Honored to meet another PGR brother. I hate the young KIA missions, but am honored none the less to "Stand for Those Who Stood for US"

I'll 2nd that. PGR here too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 21 queries.