Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Speaker upgrade  (Read 10884 times)

DeShark

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3 Abyss Blue
Re: Speaker upgrade
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »

Not sure why people are using 3.5" speakers. The originals are 4" speakers. I am going to try out some Infinity's and see how they work. I am also thinking of putting a small subwoofer in the right side saddle bag to assist in the low end. Has anyone done that??
Thanks,
DeShark

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 "lemon"
Re: Speaker upgrade 3,5" vs 4"
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »

Hi DeShark,

the stock parts only have a mounting plate with outline dimensions of a 4" speaker, not the membrane and quality of a 4" system.
The used parts in the HD bargain stock spaeker locks like a 1,5" ear-phone and that for more than $160 ....
By the way, the membrane dimensions of both is similar, HD stock 75mm versus Polk 72mm.
I think not that a third party 4" speaker with ferrite will fit in the existing fairing holes.

Sorry for my English.
I love lemon bikes, because "sour gets you happy"  (a common German saying)

DeShark

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 04:02:31 PM »

The used parts in the HD bargain stock spaeker locks like a 1,5" ear-phone and that for more than $160 ....

Say what???

By the way, the membrane dimensions of both is similar, HD stock 75mm versus Polk 72mm.

Yeah I see that. But the frame on the 3.5" speaker is much smaller. You have to add a mount ring or something to fill the gaps like others have done on here. Thus my thoughts on using a 4" speaker.

I think not that a third party 4" speaker with ferrite will fit in the existing fairing holes.

That you are correct on. The magnet on the 4" Infinity is too big to mount inside without customizing the inner bottom of the speaker box. The speaker would drop in if not for that. The other issue is the original grill drops down on the outer speaker suspension which would need to be resolved. That and the case modification as made these a bad choice. To tell the truth I really didn't hear much difference between the speakers anyway. I had one of the Infinity's hooked up and one of the originals. I think the amp may be where the weakness lies. Do you hear much difference with the Polks with the original amp?? The Polks magnets drop in no problem?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:06:24 PM by DeShark »
Thanks,
DeShark

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 "lemon"
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »

Hi DeShark,

"Say what???"
after 1x new one under warranty, I know the prices for this "speaker".
77200-11A  $162.35/pcs spare part listprice in US, in Germany €249,00/pcs..... >:(.
And the second is doing even croak at 1/3 volume now, that not so funny.
That's the reason why I want to change the the speakers.

"You have to add a mount ring or something"
Yes, of course that's my plan.
I have to cut the 2 "speaker-ears" and mount it with a distance ring with self-adhesive rubber grommet.
So I can still use the original stock grill and chrome ring on the original fix points.

"I think the amp may be where the weakness lies."
I agree, the internal small amp isn't a sound machine.
Yes at my the polk speakers sounds better than the stock speakers.
And for the price of $35.00 per pair, these sound 10 times better than the stock  ;).

"The Polks magnets drop in no problem?"
Not really, it is possible but very narrowly. The right side is OK.
On the left side I have to relocate the cables and internal connectors, and maybe a little bit adapt with the "Dremel".

At the moment this project paused, because i have a injury on the left hand.
I think in January I can make a sample ring on the laser cutter to try the correct fit.
You can find a short look on the attached image, but the dimensions with subject to change.
I love lemon bikes, because "sour gets you happy"  (a common German saying)

DeShark

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »

Hi 0815Error,

Ok I understand now.. differences in languages. :) Yes, I agree with you.. the stock speakers just don't sound that good. However I am concerned that I go through all this and new ones sound no better. I guess it is worth the try. I am tired of taking apart the fairing. :)  I want to figure out a solution that will complete this project once and for all. I rode today and used the stereo again. I added a subwoofer in the right saddle bag. It sounds good while the bike was off. When the bike was running, you could not even hear the subwoofer. So back to square one. Next, I thought of some 6x9's in the tops of the saddlebags. I hate to cut holes in them so I am leery of that idea too but that may be the only way to get some low end added to this system.

Sorry to hear about your hand injury. I have read where others have cut up the old speaker to save the mounting ring and glued the new speaker to that then mount it. That is not a bad idea. If you have a laser cutter available.. even better.
Thanks,
DeShark

DeShark

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »

Ok!! I finally found some awesome 4" speakers to replace the stock ones. Many thanks to Dan Hunter at Rockford Fosgate for all the advice and support in my search for a better solution. Rockford Fosgate makes a sweet set of speakers that fit (barely)! They are the R14x2 Prime 4" speakers. To do the installation first start by trimming off the mounting tabs on the speakers. Next you have to make some small mods to the inside of the fairing but nothing a decent pair of dykes can't handle. All you need to do is trim the old screw mount pads by cutting them off from the inside of the hole outward to each side. The other mod you need to make is to trim about a 1/4 inch off the top of the fairing bottom mount pad. This is needed so the speaker drops all the way in. Otherwise the magnet hit this mount pad. You may also need to unmount the original amp if you are using it still as this will push on the magnet of the left speaker. You can slide it into the center area behind the volume controls.

Next I used some silicone adhesive around the opening lip where the speaker seats into the fairing. Drop the speakers in and make sure they are seated firmly. I positioned them with the speaker connections located to the inside. Next apply some silicone adhesive into the gaps between the fairing and speaker. They are there for the grill trim ring tabs. Just apply enough to seal the fairing to the speaker. Don't put too much in or it will interfere with the grill trim ring tabs. Next use several small dots of silicone adhesive to glue the grills to the trim rings. Let all that dry overnight. The next day wire up the speakers and reassemble the fairing and put it back on the Harley. The finished product can be seen in the pic. I would have posted more but I see you are limited to 1.. FAIL! If you want to see more let me know and I will send you all I have. Rock n Ride!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:43:00 PM by DeShark »
Thanks,
DeShark

Cvo Jimmy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 10:03:39 AM »

What did you end up doing to upgrade your speaker system on your CVO 2012. I have the same bike and wanting to upgrade. Thanks in advance
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.