Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2012 Softail Convertible fairing and wiring question  (Read 7481 times)

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertible Satin/Pewter
2012 Softail Convertible fairing and wiring question
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:10:03 AM »

I know someone will think "what an idiot" but I'd rather ask than not know.  On my 2012 convertible there is a wire that comes out of the fairings small glovebox type compartment.  Is that an iPod accessory wire or part of the GPS hookup?  I have started to pull it out to check but it seems tight in there so I didn't continue to pull so I wouldn't damage it if it were part of the GPS. As for the wiring question, where the fairing plugs in on the left side of the tank, there is another barrel type connector with a cap on it.  I haven't been able to figure out what it's for.  I have looked on here and saw it briefly mentioned once and that thread never recieved a straight answer.  I assume no one has had to deal with it yet is why they didn't get a straight answer, so thought it wouldn't hurt to reengage that topic.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
Re: Re: 2012 Softail Convertible fairing and wiring question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »

Can u get a pic of it?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Robin Keegan

• FLSTSE2
Re: 2012 Softail Convertible fairing and wiring question
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »

Diabolo,
On my 2011 CVO, this wire is the feed for the amplifier for your speakers.  You can either attach it direct to an I-Pod or to a Sat.Nav although you will probably need a short extension cable if you have the handlebar mounted Sat.Nav version.  It may just reach if you have the centre windscreen mounting point for a Sat.Nav
Robin.

Pewter

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:02:06 PM »

There is a plug and a socket in the glovebox thing. If you leave them plugged together the sat nav voice will come out of the speakers. If you pull them apart you can put the plug into an iPod to play your music  but then the sound won't come out of the sat nav through the speakers. The plug and socket on the left side of the fairing is how you detach the sat nav wires if you want to take the screen off. If you do you use the rubber blanking plug to stop water going in the open socket.

Blackhawk

• How do you clear your mind between meetings: wind in my face at 60mph and a rumble between my legs.

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertable
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:52:09 PM »

Along those lines, there is an extra cable in the behind the light, or next to the cable in which you hook the fairing up to, depending on how you look at it.  does anyone know what that is for?

I do use the one in the fairing to hook up my Android phone and listen to Pandora on speakers.  Too much trouble to download MP3s onto the NAV.  What I am looking to do however is find a way to power my phone on long rides.

Very sorry if this hijacks the tread.  But I figure it is along the same lines, as the book, that I have gone through twice, doesn't mention anything.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:35:49 AM »

I too have that same connection, I believe someone said it was for euro spec lights, but Im not sure.  I guess I got to put a meter on it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »

What I am looking to do however is find a way to power my phone on long rides.

Here is system that I have used on longer trips to charge phone and ipod.  Auto store purchase of 2 prong plug (that fits the battery tender/charger connection) and a cigarette lighter socket.  Spliced these two together.   

This allows me to place the selected device in my right saddle bag and charge it on the go or while stopped for food. :huepfenjump3:

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

Ozarke,
Great idea !!  :2vrolijk_21:

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertible Satin/Pewter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  At least I know I shouldn't worry about pulling it out of there now!

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »

These folks already make one so you don't have to cut and splice, plugs directly into your battery tender and has a 12 volt lighter type plug in for your phone or other electrical device, fits neatly into your saddle:

www.solarcapitalist.com/12volt-power-port-sae2pin-adapter-assembly.aspx

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »

:-*   Dang, another of my inventions that I should have patented.     :nixweiss:

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »

I disconnected the Nav adapter, installed a 12 volt power port with a USB power adapter and cable on mine.  I now just plug it into the phone to keep it charged while using the phone as a phone, MP3 player and GPS.  Works great and it is all inside the fairing.

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »

Here is another way to use your battery tender cable with an adapter to charge your electronics in your saddlebag:

www.solarcapitalist.com/12volt-power-port-sae2pin-adapter-assembly.aspx

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
  • My 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »

I disconnected the Nav adapter, installed a 12 volt power port with a USB power adapter and cable on mine.  I now just plug it into the phone to keep it charged while using the phone as a phone, MP3 player and GPS.  Works great and it is all inside the fairing.

this idea is perfect for me also.....can you give me a link to that 12 volt power port w/USB connector?
Maple Metallic & Roman Gold with Burnished Copper Graphics
Vance/Hines slip-ons, 84 LED's amber, Cee Baily x4 windshield. New factory mirrors replaced by HD. LED tail lights.

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »

this idea is perfect for me also.....can you give me a link to that 12 volt power port w/USB connector?

I sure can.  Just pick the one that will work for you.  I think the HD plug version is made for the touring bikes and ours is a two prong rather than four prong.  I brought the cord up through the hole in the windshield for the old power cable for the OEM GPS and attached the USB under the windshield mount.  I then swapped the mounting plate for the GPS for a RAM mount for the phone. 

http://3brpowersports.com/products.php

I'm biding my time to replace the phone and hoping the newer ones have a better navigation/car dock.  I know the Droid RAZR has one where two slides from the sides engage the USB plug and will hold it in better than the one for my DROID Bionic.  I'm looking a Samsung's Note 2 and the upcoming Note 3 as replacements since they are "phablets" which means a larger screen, so easier to see and room to touch icons.

You might look into this app called Car Home Ultra if you are on an android phone:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome.  It gives you a heads up display with multiple screens so you can dedicate one to music with pause/play/next/previous buttons and even playlist launch.  It will convert you home button to come back to this screen while active and will force the phone to "stay awake" with the screen on the whole time.  I have mine set to automatically launch when my Scala headset attaches.

Isn't technology great?

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

I know someone will think "what an idiot" but I'd rather ask than not know.  On my 2012 convertible there is a wire that comes out of the fairings small glovebox type compartment.  Is that an iPod accessory wire or part of the GPS hookup?  I have started to pull it out to check but it seems tight in there so I didn't continue to pull so I wouldn't damage it if it were part of the GPS. As for the wiring question, where the fairing plugs in on the left side of the tank, there is another barrel type connector with a cap on it.  I haven't been able to figure out what it's for.  I have looked on here and saw it briefly mentioned once and that thread never recieved a straight answer.  I assume no one has had to deal with it yet is why they didn't get a straight answer, so thought it wouldn't hurt to reengage that topic.
                                                                                                                                           Hi, this extra wire is for heated grips (optional on 2012 cvo convertible) hope that will answer your question .

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 08:15:52 PM »

Hi, the wire inside the glovebox can connect to a mobile phone or ipod.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »

I tried to measure any voltage but get a zero on the meter.  How does this wire work.  I have a 2011 conv

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »

I tried to measure any voltage but get a zero on the meter.  How does this wire work.  I have a 2011 conv

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
One wire in the glove box to connect to the speakers. The wire has no power.There is another wire hidden behind the headlights (with a bundle of wires) which you can connect optional to handlebar heated handgrips which you buy separately.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.