Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel Management System for V/H 3" slip ons  (Read 1721 times)

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertible Satin/Pewter
Fuel Management System for V/H 3" slip ons
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:11 PM »

I just bought a set of Vance and Hines 3" slip-ons.  The dealer says that my bike is going to run lean and could damage my engine.  I realize they are going to tell me what covers their back sides, but it makes sense with the factory exhaust being so restricted and it's a Cali bike.  I can't seem to find a fuel management system that fits the 2012 softail convertible.  Has anyone changed the exhaust and had issues of their bike running lean?  If so what did you do to remedy the problem?  Any information is much appreciated!

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Fuel Management System for V/H 3" slip ons
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »

this is  a well discussed subject on this board.  Strongly suggest that you modify the breather, ignition module, and pipes at the same time and then have the whole system dyno tuned for best performance.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:07:52 PM »

I really like the current breather on it so I'm just thinking about just installing the pipes and having it tuned.  I'm hoping that the VH's do not give me an overly exaggerated sound.  That's not what I'm going for. I just want a deeper and slightly louder than factory sound.  I ride a lot (10,000 or so per year in San Diego) and put a lot of miles on so not looking for insane noise on a 3-400 mile ride.  So this is more for sound not necessarily increasing performance since I'm pretty happy with the performance part.

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:19:44 PM »

Thanks ozarke, that is definitely a viable option.

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:21:38 AM »

I put Screamin Eagle street performance slip ons on mine and bought a power vision tuner to retune the bike and I`m happy.  The mufflers I have may not be loud enough for some though...it`s a fairly mild improvement in sound.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »

Your dealer is blowing smoke up your posterior, but then that's a pretty common thing with Harley dealerships.  If the only thing you're changing is the mufflers, the stock ECM can normally compensate for that small change in air flow.  However, while a "tune" isn't exactly necessary to keep your bike from self destructing, it would be a good idea in terms of improved driveability.  Rather than explain it that way, it's easier for some places to try to scare you into buying something.

I assume this is a California dealer, so I'm curious as to what they recommended.  Did they try to sell you a SEPST?  Or are they a little worried about CARB busting their butts for emission system tampering and therefore not offering any solution?

My advice, whatever you do, hang on to the stock mufflers just in case California starts cracking down on individuals.  I'm sure the time is coming when they will do so, and it will make it easier if you still have the stock legal mufflers to stick back on the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »

I have the screaming eagle slip on mufflers with 20k + miles.   They were a better sound than the stock.  After about 8k they began to get progressively louder.   I believe that they have glass packing around the baffle??  My guess is that it is burning or blowing out over time.   Anyway, they are still getting louder and it now approaching my limit for toleration. (although they sound good)   Probably will be looking for a solution by the end of the summer.

The power vision has the auto tune function which works well to correct fuel mixture.   If you buy from fuelmoto, Jamie will ask what is on your bike and MAP it and work with you till it is satisfactory.  Then run the auto tune and your sweet.

IMHO, this is prime if you don't have a lot of mods.   It costs similar to a dyno and you are not relying on a dealer, is easily adjusted if other mods are added without further cost and is easy to use.

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »

Ozarke...I`m curious...when you ran autotune to arrive at the final tune for your bike,  were there many (any?) cells on the ve map with delta numbers less than the stock original tune.  I had this with my autotune result and was surprised that any cells would end up leaner than the stock tune.  I admit though that I am fairly uneducated as to EFI and tuning.

slmetcalftx

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »

We installed the Kuryakyn TTS Tuner with the VH 2 into 1 pipe. When we get to Sturgis we'll have them do the fine tuning as I'm still getting the popping on the deceleration. I have noticed it runs better, so looking forward to the fine tuning and what they have to say when we get to Sturgis.

Sherry
"Tex"

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 22 queries.