Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: What's your experience with sun shirts with UV protection?  (Read 15435 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: What's your experience with sun shirts with UV protection?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »

I'm with you.  I've never seen anything but tan/burn lines (white underneath) wearing cotton. 

Some of the sun protective stuff is 100% cotton so that's not the issue.  What you're missing is that we're looking for the same protection factor in something looser fitting and lighter than cotton. 

By the way.......thought you were going to be in Solvang for the GTG?  What happened? :nixweiss:  You missed a great time and a couple of great rides.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »

Some of the sun protective stuff is 100% cotton so that's not the issue.  What you're missing is that we're looking for the same protection factor in something looser fitting and lighter than cotton. 

By the way.......thought you were going to be in Solvang for the GTG?  What happened? :nixweiss:  You missed a great time and a couple of great rides.

ha!  I thought so too.  Had another surgery on my knee to remove the hardware (from mc accident 10/17/08).  Scheduled as a 45 min surgery -- ended up 2 1/2 hours.  They found more damage not addressed at the time of the accident.  Put me back on crutches for 6 weeks with NO load bearing on the right leg (pita~!!!).  From there I spent a week on a cane, and have been walking on my own for barely 2 weeks now. 

I watched the thread, kept thinking about it, but just couldn't.  I really wanted to be there with you'all.  I took my first unaided walk around the block 3 days ago.  THAT felt good. 

OK.  I get it on the shirts.   :2vrolijk_21:

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »

ha!  I thought so too.  Had another surgery on my knee to remove the hardware (from mc accident 10/17/08).  Scheduled as a 45 min surgery -- ended up 2 1/2 hours.  They found more damage not addressed at the time of the accident.  Put me back on crutches for 6 weeks with NO load bearing on the right leg (pita~!!!).  From there I spent a week on a cane, and have been walking on my own for barely 2 weeks now. 

I watched the thread, kept thinking about it, but just couldn't.  I really wanted to be there with you'all.  I took my first unaided walk around the block 3 days ago.  THAT felt good. 

OK.  I get it on the shirts.   :2vrolijk_21:

Should have came over in the evening.  Right up the road and the lounge had very comfortable booths.  You missed a great time with great people. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »

Dang, I didn't know they were so available or affordable either!  Whoa!  "This is way cool" as my son would say! 
NOW I might not have to give up riding during daylight hours, after all!!!  Woooo hooooo!   :bananarock:
Photosensitivity is a big problem for me.  After a day in the sun, I can expect a "flare" within a few days.  I bathe in sunscreen and wear long sleeves - without smelling sweet - at all times now when outside!  Also switched to a fullface helmet to protect my face.  I feel like a sportbike rider in full racing gear.  CRAZY!

I need to order several of these shirts and see how they work! 
Did you ever find out what shirts Ridin Ruby was talking about specifically?  Let me know how you like the ones you ordered. 
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »

We got two of the shirts that we ordered from one of the companies.  This material is called Solumbra and they told me it's a nylon based product.  The web site says that they fit "loose" and do not need to be ordered extra large....believe that!  The netting in the arm pits and half way down the inside of the arms is pretty cool.  I think that will be real helpful on the bike, holding onto the handlebars.  Kind of like not wearing a shirt. :nixweiss:

I will say that when I tried it on I thought that I looked like a geek but Terrie thought that mine fit a lot better than hers fit her. :nixweiss:  Hey, we're after comort not the look good.  Like she said "we'll never see any of those people again!". :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 09:57:41 AM »

I have 6 assorted shirts made from this material.  Comfort is A+ in Arizona. Style...forgetaboutit.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 01:57:14 AM »

Well, it was 107F in Sacramento today and Terrie got heat sickness really bad.........so the plans for Ariz. are cancelled.  We're going to go a different direction where it's cooler. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 02:01:42 AM »

Wow 107, Hope she is feeling better. Well new excitement as new plans are made.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »

We got the solumbra shirt just before we left.  Terrie brought hers, expecting it to be very hot here in the valley on our return.  It was up over 100F on our last day and she wore this shirt.

She's already loving this shirt.  Not for it's looks or fashion but for the sun protecion factor and due to the vented arms, it's much cooler and lighter than a cotton shirt.  One of the features that I noticed right away is that it rolls up into almost nothing.....so it's great for packing.

We got this shirt in white.....would probably go with the blue the next time.......  http://www.sunprecautions.com/product.asp?itemno=1200K09+XS+WHT&CAT=sh&SUBCAT=0s

West Coast GTG   

Bull_Duck

• FL

• CVO1: 2008 Dyna FXDSE2 105th Anniversary - Copper Metallic & Black
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 05:33:57 PM »

I've used ...Sunbrella and ...  REI ...  They work well but the best part is their comfort.  It's like riding topless which feels pretty good when it's over 90.  Highly recommend.

:2vrolijk_21: Sunbrella or REI
2000 Deuce, Screamin' Eagle # Tangerine Paint Set
2008 FXDSE2 105th Anniversary CVO Dyna
2008 FLTR 105th Anniversary Road Glide

Zoe ONeill

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 07:26:40 PM »

My cousin in Australia sent me some Hot to Trot shirts. They were originally made for horse riding but I find them perfect.
Super light, breathable and the UV factor doesn't wash out as it is in the weave of the fabric. Their website is wwwhotto.com.au
Only for the ladies at the moment!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »

We ended up with several different brands of sun protection (UVA and UVB) shirts last summer.  While there were a couple that are more attractive, hands down, this shirt does the best and keeps you the coolest (as long as you're moving and don't have anything on under it!)......   http://www.sunprecautions.com/product.asp?itemno=1200W10+XS+STN&CAT=sh&SUBCAT=0s

A feature that this shirt has the none of the others do is that it has a mesh vent from under the arm pit that V's all the way down to the wrist.  So when your hands are on the grips, you have air blowing into your shirt and at your arm pits and down your stomach and back as well as down your arms! 

I wore this shirt in triple digit temps yesterday and while my helmet and jeans were sweat soaked, no sweat on my upper body.  Still miserable riding in those kind of temps but was much more comfortable than usual, riding in that kind of heat. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »

We ended up with several different brands of sun protection (UVA and UVB) shirts last summer.  While there were a couple that are more attractive, hands down, this shirt does the best and keeps you the coolest (as long as you're moving and don't have anything on under it!)......   http://www.sunprecautions.com/product.asp?itemno=1200W10+XS+STN&CAT=sh&SUBCAT=0s

A feature that this shirt has the none of the others do is that it has a mesh vent from under the arm pit that V's all the way down to the wrist.  So when your hands are on the grips, you have air blowing into your shirt and at your arm pits and down your stomach and back as well as down your arms! 

I wore this shirt in triple digit temps yesterday and while my helmet and jeans were sweat soaked, no sweat on my upper body.  Still miserable riding in those kind of temps but was much more comfortable than usual, riding in that kind of heat. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

JC-
You ordered this in Large or XL??

Thanks, bob

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »

I wear an XL in t-shirts and ordered this the same but they fit much larger (baggy) than a t-shirt.  The web site says they're supposed to fit loose.....that's part of the comfort when you get moving and get the air flowing through.

Like IROAR says above........the comfort can't be beat but you're sure not going to win any fashion show in it. :nervous:  When it's that damn hot out there, who cares about looks.......I'm old enough now that comfort and function has first priority over the "look cool".

It's kind of like the Original Swat boots.........when I find a product that stands out leaps and bounds above everything else I've tried all my life, just want to share that with the others.

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 08:09:40 PM »

UV Protection...what is that?

;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 21 queries.