Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Waterproof eye protection  (Read 7608 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Waterproof eye protection
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:58:41 PM »

I wear a 1/2 helmet and I am looking for a good waterproof goggle that won't leak!! The last time I got caught in the rain--coming home from Maggie Valley--I could barely see and had to pull over to wipe the inside of my goggles a lot. And yes..I know carrying a full face or visor style helmet would fix this, but I would rather not. What are you guys with 1/2 helmets doing in the hard rain??  Somebody must make something that works--and not swimming goggles :huepfenlol2:

Mike

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Waterproof eye protection
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »

I have a visor style shield that will snap on my half helmet when needed its stored in my saddle bag when I go out of town!   David H.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »

Wiley X SG-1 will do the trick.
Jesus is Lord

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 07:31:35 AM »

Wiley X SG-1 will do the trick.

Those are what I already have....but the foam has notches in it which I think are the problem.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:13:24 AM »

You must have been riding in what we here in the south call a " gully washer ".   :thinking2:
Jesus is Lord

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »

I wear a 1/2 helmet and I am looking for a good waterproof goggle that won't leak!! The last time I got caught in the rain--coming home from Maggie Valley--I could barely see and had to pull over to wipe the inside of my goggles a lot. And yes..I know carrying a full face or visor style helmet would fix this, but I would rather not. What are you guys with 1/2 helmets doing in the hard rain??  Somebody must make something that works--and not swimming goggles :huepfenlol2:

Mike

Mike , I never rode with a full helmet, till JR gave me a Nolan so I could get home from Ribfest. I am so very gratefull to JR  :2vrolijk_21:

I guess I'm saying, Get A real Helmet Bro , There are time when you need it.

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »

Mike , I never rode with a full helmet, till JR gave me a Nolan so I could get home from Ribfest. I am so very gratefull to JR  :2vrolijk_21:

I guess I'm saying, Get A real Helmet Bro , There are time when you need it.

Marty

Now where to store it during these trips.....maybe a 3/4 with a snap on shield? 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

If the glasses or goggles don't leak, they're going to fog up, so it's a Catch 22.  I don't see how anybody rides in a rain that amounts to anything...the rain drops sting when hitting your face!

There's really no place to store a 3/4 or a Flip/Full face helmet other than in a King TP.  If you don't have a TP, I suppose a large rack bag would be another choice.

Just wear the FF helmet (I'd get a Flip Face like the Nolan N-104, Shoei Neotec, or Schuberth C3...Or a Shark Evo III) and store the Tupperware Bowl until you get where you're going.

I personally find a 1/2 Helmet to be MUCH more uncomfortable than wearing a Flip Face.  Sun Burn, Wind Burn, and just the hot wind hitting my face at 80mph is not comfortable for me...not to mention when it's cold outside.  The full coverage just has more positives than negatives for me.

The unique thing about the Shark Evo III is that it's the only flip face helmet that I know of that converts into a true 3/4 helmet when desired.  It makes it kind of nice at times, like riding in heavy, slow moving traffic.  The downside to the Shark is that it's bit heavier due to the mechanism.  Everything is a trade off to some extent...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »

You must have been riding in what we here in the south call a " gully washer ".   :thinking2:

Thats what I went through Sunday night going home!

There is no protection for that... even a full face would have gotten wet through the vents and around the visor!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:44:23 AM »

If the glasses or goggles don't leak, they're going to fog up, so it's a Catch 22.  I don't see how anybody rides in a rain that amounts to anything...the rain drops sting when hitting your face!

There's really no place to store a 3/4 or a Flip/Full face helmet other than in a King TP.  If you don't have a TP, I suppose a large rack bag would be another choice.

Just wear the FF helmet (I'd get a Flip Face like the Nolan N-104, Shoei Neotec, or Schuberth C3...Or a Shark Evo III) and store the Tupperware Bowl until you get where you're going.

I personally find a 1/2 Helmet to be MUCH more uncomfortable than wearing a Flip Face.  Sun Burn, Wind Burn, and just the hot wind hitting my face at 80mph is not comfortable for me...not to mention when it's cold outside.  The full coverage just has more positives than negatives for me.

The unique thing about the Shark Evo III is that it's the only flip face helmet that I know of that converts into a true 3/4 helmet when desired.  It makes it kind of nice at times, like riding in heavy, slow moving traffic.  The downside to the Shark is that it's bit heavier due to the mechanism.  Everything is a trade off to some extent...

I have a King TP. just didn't want to give up that much space for the helmet.......I still like my 1/2 helmet...even on the highway and long trips. A little sun block and I'm good to go--except for the damn rain!

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »

X2!

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »

Screamin' has a slick 1/2 helmet with a retractable shield.  He got it at a Harley dealer.  Because the shield retracts into the shell it's slightly larger than a typical 1/2 helmet but not enough for anyone to call him Gazoo (at least to his face).

I've been thinking about getting one.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:46:34 AM by Jester Whisperer »
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »

Schmoops had one and likes it...she caught a large yellow spatter bug 2 weeks ago, right between the eyes...on the shield..How it got around my fat head to smacked her square is all because of my freedom shield... :drink:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »

I have a King TP. just didn't want to give up that much space for the helmet.......I still like my 1/2 helmet...even on the highway and long trips. A little sun block and I'm good to go--except for the damn rain!

If I'm traveling Solo, I could probably get a FF in the TP and not waste too much space by filling the helmet up with some small items like socks, etc.  Traveling two up?  Forget about it.  If you have a rack for the TP, how about getting some kind of rack bag that would hold the helmet and strapping it on the rack?

One of the other things that bothered me with the 1/2 helmets I've had is that when I got up to speed, it felt like the helmet was going to lift off my head from the wind getting under it so easily.   :2vrolijk_21:  The FF or Flip helmets are much more aerodynamic in that regard.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 09:27:35 PM »

I use that Harley half helmet with retractable shield also. Shield is suppose to be a "sun shield" but is barely tinted. Works great even in heavy down pours. You don't have to remove your other glasses. They started making one with top vent this year for $25 dollars more.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:29:18 PM by redrodo »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.