Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Waterproof eye protection  (Read 7607 times)

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
Re: Waterproof eye protection
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »

I also have a half helmet with the pull down visor and really like it. I also have issues with keeping my glasses/googles clear, until I went to the pull down visor now I can ride in the rain and worry about being able to see. Even though I may have to remove my glasses. If the rain gets too hard we pull off and find a place to wait until the rain lightens a little.
Supershooter

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »

I still have to flip up the shields in the rain to let in fresh air due to the fogging. I bought the Bullcrap antifog spray and gel from the bike shows that does not work.  I wanted to use Rain-X but it is not recommended for plexi glass or plastics.

Out of desperation to continue a ride I bought a pair of the Yellow shooting glasses at a Wal-Mart.  They worked out the best for me.  They still accumulated the droplets but for some reason I could see through them better. Liked them well enough to wear the rest of the way home. 2 days.

Cleaning all lenses after a ride helps.  I read about wiping lenses with soapy water (Bar soap like Dove) letting it dry completely and then wiping clear with a dry rag or paper towel to prevent fogging.  I tested it first on a steamy bathroom mirror with great success and it would work for a while on the shield and goggles.  But driving down the Hiway with all of the road grime blowing up is a losing battle without wipers and washer.  

You know you're desperate to see when the rain is running from your face down your neck and soaking your crotch area!

I practice my vision skills in the cage by driving without the wipers on and learning to look through the droplets. I catch myself forgetting to turn them on at times.  :nixweiss:
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »

Before we started using full face I wore 3/4 helmets and once rode from Atlanta to Tampa in a group, and it rained so hard the interstate was almost deserted at times, I rode on but everyone else stopped repeatedly to clean there shields/goggles etc. Guys with half helmets with partial shields were the worst, they got water on the back (inside) of the shield from road spray and were blinded, Wiley/Pan Optix glasses fogged up excessively and totally failed. I, on the other hand, never had a drop of water enter my goggles or any fog at all for the complete 485 miles,  Both myself an my wife had Oakley Hi-End ski goggles with dual layered treated lens. They were the models with the side splits that fit around the temples on my glasses. The dual treated lens are available in different colors, I like the amber best for rainy days. Now wear a Shoei Multi-tec with lens adjusted as tight as it will go against the gasket and use a pin-lok for insert and have no problem with heavy rain, and we have alot of rain here in the summer. Not sure about other full-face helmets but Shoei has adjustment on the fit of the shield on each temple, takes a quarter or nickle and a few minutes, but will make a large difference in the rain and cold. And the insert is a MUST.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »

RAIN JUST S--KS PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »

RAIN JUST S--KS PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ain't it the truth....

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 08:06:26 PM »

Three quarter with an attachable shield works to some degree.  Heavy rain, pull in to a restaurant/gas station and have a coffee/donut and wait it out. 
Do it now!

jacks

• Full CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHXSEa my new love from Orlando to Melb.

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Streetglide Spiced Rum
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 06:53:11 AM »

Squint  ;D
2010 110 w/ S.E.R.T., High flow exh., 585 SE cam...
Developing 112.8 HP and 128.8 FtLb of torque...
Tuned to perfection...
Love of baiting the "Boy Racers"...

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 01:06:20 PM »

Everytime I do a long distance ride, it seems I end up in epic torrential down pours somewhere long the route.  I've bought just about every pair of glasses known to mankind, and came up with the same conclusion as MR, the better the seal, the worse they fog. And worse, the better they seal, the harder they are to clear. Nothing worse than watching a big drop of water slowly collecting on the inside of the lens which eventually lets go right into your eye.

Seeing I normally end up hitting a helmet required state along the trek anyway, I've just have gotten into the habit of just wearing my HD Stealth flip up modular helmet on all long rides. While the front shield doesn't seal 100%, in the heaviest downpours, I usually only get a drip once in a while that runs across the inside, but never hits my eyes or face and is totally comfortable.  The nice thing about the helmet is, behind my batwing at least, I can flip up the entire face of the helmet in sunny conditions and it feels like a 1/2 helmet. Then when I get to my destination, if it's not a helmet state, I'll just ace leave the helmet in the hotel room until the return ride.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »

Keep the half helmet you prefer and just buy the visor to clip on when the rain starts. Can,t beat that combination.
06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 02:08:53 AM »

Scorpion EXO-900 also converts from fullface/modular to 3/4 open face chin bar still needs to be carried somplace but its a good helmet for all long distance riding conditions
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Scorpion-EXO-900-Helmets/Scorpion-EXO-900-Solid-Cherry-Helmet/99018.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:14:37 AM by kiwihog »
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

09fltrse3

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 02:25:30 AM »

I wear a 1/2 helmet and I am looking for a good waterproof goggle that won't leak!! The last time I got caught in the rain--coming home from Maggie Valley--I could barely see and had to pull over to wipe the inside of my goggles a lot. And yes..I know carrying a full face or visor style helmet would fix this, but I would rather not. What are you guys with 1/2 helmets doing in the hard rain??  Somebody must make something that works--and not swimming goggles :huepfenlol2:

Mike

I also like the half helmets and looked around and finally decided on a HJC IS-2. Another helmet that I looked at was a Scorpion EXO-100, but it is bigger, makes you look like a bobblehead. The IS-2 works well in a driving rain, I have been caught in a few, and I have had this helmet for two years. When i need to I will get another. Hope this helps your decision. Andy.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 07:28:45 AM »

I have tried every type of eye where with my 1/2 helmet.  Some work ok, but nothing great.

I bought a 3/4 with shield in Nov for riding in the winter.  Really prefer my 1/2 but in 30 degree weather the 3/4 is nice.  Any rate coming back from FL I was wearing the 3/4.  Wow I was riding in rain where I would have been stopped not mater what glasses and 1/2 helmet.  This was the best visibility I have ever had in the rain.

Wish I had room when traveling for both helmets on the bike.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

In all the miles and years of riding, the final solution I have that works is my full face Nolan 104.
Last years trip to Maggie Valley was the first time ever that I could see, comfortably , no matter how hard it rained - and rain it did.

If it that a big a deal for trips like Maggie where you are riding all those miles to a destination - mail your desired lid in advance, then mail it home when you leave.

I think that if you took one trip from Long Island to MV with a comfortable FF, you will not look back.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »

Scorpion EXO-900 also converts from fullface/modular to 3/4 open face chin bar still needs to be carried somplace but its a good helmet for all long distance riding conditions
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Scorpion-EXO-900-Helmets/Scorpion-EXO-900-Solid-Cherry-Helmet/99018.html

I just got the EX0-900 with integrated head-set from J&M.  If you're a half/no brain helmet kind of guy you probably won't like it.  (To be fair, I ride around FL with no helmet). 

Went on a 2K trip with some friends a couple of Novembers back.  1 of the guys is a half helmet only rider.  We hit torrential rains in MS.  I had switched to my full face and riding glasses with foam gaskets.  I was blowing along at 70 with no issues, looked back and the other guys were no where in sight.  I slowed down, then guided them in by CB and led tail lights until we could get off and wait it out.  At the bike show that next January, he bought a Bell Mag 8 and loves it.  I don't think they make that anymore, but there are lots of others like it.  Kind of a cross between a 1/2 and 3/4 with built in visor and retractable shield.
Spada84
NoSofa!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »

In all the miles and years of riding, the final solution I have that works is my full face Nolan 104.
Last years trip to Maggie Valley was the first time ever that I could see, comfortably , no matter how hard it rained - and rain it did.

If it that a big a deal for trips like Maggie where you are riding all those miles to a destination - mail your desired lid in advance, then mail it home when you leave.

I think that if you took one trip from Long Island to MV with a comfortable FF, you will not look back.

Duane....That's why I am looking....last years ride home from MV was all rain Saturday night. Ended up stopping 1 hour from home.....could have made it if I would have been able to see.  Maybe the HJC 1/2 with the integrated shield. At least that would fit in the TP without taking up too much space. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.