Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Engine Light ON & High Idle RPM  (Read 22657 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Engine Light ON & High Idle RPM
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 02:27:13 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, didn't someone else here have a similar high idle problem with an '08?  I thought the thread said something about flipping on and off the ignition and then hitting something else, blah blah blah, and it would reset the ECM to the original idle point.  Blah blah blah is a technical term...  ;D  ;D

I haven't done the search, but it was probably within the past month that I read this.

Can someone add anything to this?

:nixweiss:  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:

That was a throttle memory problem - related to throttle by wire only on 08's.  When the engine is killed with the throttle partially open it "remembers" that throttle setting when restarted.

On my 07 problem there are no service bulletins, no info, no error codes.  Thought it might be an ECM issue but if it is it did not identify as such.  The low idle is equally annoying, but occurs very sporadically.

Dealer lubed push/pull cables, checked throttle body & butterfly valve & saw nothing that could cause the problem.  I had already pulled the breather & saw nothing, so that was reassuring that I did not miss anything.   :)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »

TT380 – June 12, 2008 - High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models

Attached.

:2vrolijk_21:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 12:36:45 PM »

My 07 SERK had similar weeks ago.  While riding, the RPMS were locked at 2000.  After about and hour, when stopped the idle was only at 650 RPM.  Then it all just went away..................

I want a carb.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 12:38:01 PM »

My 07 SERK had similar weeks ago.  While riding, the RPMS were locked at 2000.  After about and hour, when stopped the idle was only at 650 RPM.  Then it all just went away..................

I want a carb.

This is worse than the Mystery Button.......

Was just giving some carb advice the other day.... memories.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

beeperman

• CVO1: 2008 Road King
    • CVO2: 2008 XL883L
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »

I have a 08 road king and every few days it seems to idle itself back up around 2000 rpm. I took it back to the dealer which recycled the on and off switch four times and started bike and it fixed the idle. But it keeps doing this and I have to keep resetting. I took the bike back to a local dealer and was told there is a service issue bulletin concerning this issue with the 08 models, resetting by the switch fixes some and some has to be fixed by the dealer. Mine was done by the dealer last week and this morning, its back to idling high again. I guess it back to the dealer again today!

Ride hard - be safe
    beeperman

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »

Same issue on my '08 FLHX.  Intermittent high idle that I have to continually fix with the 4 step dance with the ignition switch. 

beeperman -

Did the dealer reflash the ECM and did that finally eliminate your issue?  Mine is headed back to the dealer soon and I would like to give them helpful "direction".

TB
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

beeperman

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 06:16:03 PM »

Yes, After they reprogramm, its ok and hasnt idled high since.

beeperman

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 09:31:05 AM »

Just a note to the High Idle problems with the 08 bikes, I had thought my problems were fixed with the last ECM update the dealer installed on my bike a few weeks ago but after about 3 or four days, it went back to the fast idle. I contacted Harley and they informed me, they just released another update for the ECM that should fix the fast idle on the bikes the previous update didn't fix.
  I'm headed to the bike shop shortly to pick my bike up, Ill post in a few days after riding to let everyone know if this update works.

Might have a few issues with my new 08 Road King but I would buy it again tomorrow. Rides much better than the  old 92 soft tail. :2vrolijk_21:

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 08:49:32 AM »

Thanks for the update.  Keep us posted.  My dealer is now blaming the "operator" and is suggesting that I don't have my hand on the throttle when I shut the motor down.  If you are in Sturgis and see a guy with his right hand on his head while turning the motor off.....that would be me!!!!
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 10:01:58 AM »

Some, if not all, of the fast idle problems on the 07's back is an ECM problem. If the ECM gets just the right inputs, it flakes out. Next time this happens, just kill the ignition on the bike and then restart. I'd bet you find it goes away immediately. I have verified this on several problem bikes. Also, bikes that do this regularly, we have swapped the stock ECM with a TMax and none have had the problem again. (mine included).

beeperman

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 10:14:16 AM »

I went to pick up my bike but it wasn't ready due to HD didn't send over the new ECM update, mine takes a different update due to the race tuner I have installed on my bike. I guess Ill have it Monday. I was also told from the dealer, that they believed I wasn't letting the bike idle down before shutting down engine and the bike was storing it in the ECM, causing the fast idle issue. But I informed them that I was allready aware of this theory and was making sure, bike was completely idled downed before turning engine off. They didn't know that I had allready contacted HD support about the on going issue and HD informed me of the new update and called my local shop about putting the new update on my bike.
  I will let you know later next week if it works, it usually takes about 2 or 3 days before it goes back to high idle

Ride Hard - Ride Safe

beeperman

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »

Is the Tmax a OEM or after market product. If this new update doesn't work. This will be something Ill ask my local dealer about. I have tried the restarting engine method and didn't work.

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 11:29:47 AM »

Is the Tmax a OEM or after market product. If this new update doesn't work. This will be something Ill ask my local dealer about. I have tried the restarting engine method and didn't work.

It's an aftermarket ECM. I had this fast idle and dieing problem on my 07. Getting rid of the factory ECM fixed it. I've also installed the Tmax on several other bikes, all experiencing this issue to one degree or another. None of them have had a problem since. The ECM on the 08's is a different animal but I think it's got some bugs as well.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 11:39:49 PM »

That's why I carry a spare of every FI sensor. And a spare, pre-programmed PC too! ;)

Hoist! 8)

I wanna start riding with you :2vrolijk_21:

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 08:19:07 AM »

It's an aftermarket ECM. I had this fast idle and dieing problem on my 07. Getting rid of the factory ECM fixed it. I've also installed the Tmax on several other bikes, all experiencing this issue to one degree or another. None of them have had a problem since. The ECM on the 08's is a different animal but I think it's got some bugs as well.

no TMAX for 08 DBW bikes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.