Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Engine Light ON & High Idle RPM  (Read 22654 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Engine Light ON & High Idle RPM
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 11:50:50 AM »

2200 revs this morning at startup...forced it down to about 1600 before leaving the driveway...at the first light 30 minutes later it was idling at 1200...pulled into the lot at work and was still 1200...sould have been just below 1000...we will see what happens when I leave today...

Just the thought of that makes important things crawl up behind my belly button.  Not knowing the throttle is going to be where you put it at any given time is not a happy thought.

Of course electronic throttle controls are a brand new.  Couldn't expect Harley Davidson to actually have such a new concept correct right off the bat.  It's not like it's ever been done before...

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2008, 01:12:27 PM »

Exactly.  I got home the other night after fighting the high idle gremlins and told the wife that "this bike is trying to kill me!!"  In to correct situation, this goes from annoying to deadly very quickly.
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »

Exactly.  I got home the other night after fighting the high idle gremlins and told the wife that "this bike is trying to kill me!!"  In to correct situation, this goes from annoying to deadly very quickly.

Too true.  Management and integration are fine.  Very often a benefit; when done well.  But a throttle should simply never have a mind of its own.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »

hehe, brings back memories from mid 70's when i raced with husqvarna. they participated in my riding a 360 automatic. other than a few maintenance quirks, the auto worked fine. four speed automatic with top speed of around 85 mph.

once in a while, when you pulled the throtle WFO-----it would stick!! trannys still shifting, kill button would light your ass up because the power from the ignition at high rpm would over ride the kill switch. husqvarna used some brick loking liningfor the brakes---once it got wet (usually 10 feet into the race) you had no brakes till you tore em apart.

so, here we go. WFO, no brakes, kill button electrocutes you but doesnt kill engine, tranny constantly shifting to stay in the meat of the powerband, and you hold on!!!!!

what do yall think when harley riders panic and cant kill their engine? symptoms of stuck throttle. can we all remember AUDI and their cars that acelarated by themselves? sounds like an ad for 1-800-dumb - lawyer-makes - millions - from - class - action - lawsuit to me.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »

so, here we go. WFO, no brakes, kill button electrocutes you but doesnt kill engine, tranny constantly shifting to stay in the meat of the powerband, and you hold on!!!!!

I'm sorry Dennis.  Not laughing at you but with you.  That brought back a few memories of dumb times in cars or on bikes that just weren't ready for prime time.  But never had the good sense not to kick the engines over. :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2008, 09:00:07 PM »

I'm sorry Dennis.  Not laughing at you but with you.  That brought back a few memories of dumb times in cars or on bikes that just weren't ready for prime time.  But never had the good sense not to kick the engines over. :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

good sense? man, i raced that thing almost every weekend for a year. the next year they gave me a 430!

i aint right!

britrider

• britrider
    • CVO3: 08 105th Ultra
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 03:05:30 AM »

Good morning,
I have just returned from 1st European Posse ride 11 countries in 13 days and the same problem has hit my 08 cvo  ultra.engine revs climb to about 2k strange thing is that if I twist the throttle back against the spring revs will return to 1K. It has donethis a couple of times and then cleared itself only to return later. I  off to the dealer to see what he has to say and will report back with his ideas.
dave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 20 queries.