Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil pressure  (Read 1171 times)

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
oil pressure
« on: June 09, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »

now at 2000 rpm or greater going down the rode I have around 21 lbs oil pressure...took the bike into the shop and they checked pressure with a mechanical gauge and where the dash gauge said 21 it was actually over 32.  they put a new sending unit in and it did not fix the problem.  they checked the gauge and it worked properly when grounded. any suggestions?

also rode the bike in a flag day run and after about 45 minutes at 40 or so mph the oil pressure was down to about 8-10 indicated and the key light in the speedometer was lit...any ideas?...could it be related?
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:21 PM »

now at 2000 rpm or greater going down the rode I have around 21 lbs oil pressure...took the bike into the shop and they checked pressure with a mechanical gauge and where the dash gauge said 21 it was actually over 32.  they put a new sending unit in and it did not fix the problem.  they checked the gauge and it worked properly when grounded. any suggestions?

also rode the bike in a flag day run and after about 45 minutes at 40 or so mph the oil pressure was down to about 8-10 indicated and the key light in the speedometer was lit...any ideas?...could it be related?

If it were mine, I would take a look at the oil pump.  If you have any crank runout, your oil pump will wear prematurely.  It is a quick and easy check - I'd take the time to look...   
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:03:14 PM »

Find a new Dealer!

:pumpkin:
Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 08:40:37 PM »

Find a new Dealer!

:pumpkin:
Brad

If the dealer just left you hanging after verifying that the gauge was reading low, then I agree with Brad - you need a new dealer.  The gauge system is extremely simple, and if they can't figure this one out you don't need them working on anything complicated.

When they checked the pressure with a mechanical gauge, did they have it plumbed in so that the regular gauge was working at the same time?  If so, and the two gauges didn't read the same, it's either the sending unit, a poor ground, or a defective gauge.  If you would like to test your gauge on your own, here's the routine:

Remove the electrical connector from the sending unit and turn on the ignition switch.  The gauge should read zero.  Then ground the brown/green wire in the connector and the gauge should read full scale (70).  If the gauge doesn't read as indicated, it's defective and needs to be replaced.  It's not good enough to just have the needle move with the wire grounded, it must move to full scale.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:42:08 AM »

more information...the gauge did deflect to full scale when grounded and it still does not read correctly with a new sending unit.  the actual pressure was verified with a mechanical gauge and it is good, over 34 psi at 2000 rpm when the gauge says 21.  the key symbol indicating light was on because during this ride the neutral light was on while riding in gear at 45 mph...apparently that will require a new upgraded neutral switch to fix.

I just got off the phone with my dealer and he said the gauge has a dashpot on it so it can be adjusted to reflect the true oil pressure...any thoughts on this?
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 25 queries.