Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buzzing/Vibrating noise from Gas Cap Cover 09 SEUC  (Read 1731 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Buzzing/Vibrating noise from Gas Cap Cover 09 SEUC
« on: May 18, 2011, 11:12:27 AM »

Sometimes when I am cruising my gas cap cover will make a buzzing or vibrating noise. When I put pressure on it with my left hand it goes away. Anybody else have this issue and if so have you figured out a way to fix it. Thanks CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Buzzing/Vibrating noise from Gas Cap Cover 09 SEUC
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »

Often the rattle comes from the pushbutton itself.  Make sure the nut that secures it is snug, then make sure the spring on the door hinge is applying enough pressure to remove all the free play in the latch.  You can bend the tabs on the spring to increase or decrease the tension.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »

Thanks for the tips on the vibrating fuel door . I opened it and discovered the screws on the hinge that hold the fuel door to the bottom part of it where it pivots on a shaft with a spring were loose. I will check it out on my next ride. The  whole set up seems flimsy and the "finger" in the front below the button where it catches to stay closed is made out of plastic. Thanks again for the help.

MY2NDCVO

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »

Next time it happens take a good working cigarette lighter flick it On, and look for the rattle.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »

I prefer as pipe bomb myself.CAHDBIKER

Next time it happens take a good working cigarette lighter flick it On, and look for the rattle.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »

Huh mine does that also sometimes. I'm going to check on what Jerry posted.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

buckeye bulldog

• Enjoy Life!!
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Go Browns!!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:59:08 PM »

Ihad mine replaced the spring did not have enough pressure. My dealer comped me but yea that annoyed me also.
2010 Street Glide FLHX

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »

grc, I went to my local HD dealer to compare how loose the rear pivot on my gas cap cover  was compared to some new bikes on the showroom floor. They were all pretty snug compared to mine(some of them were also had a fair amount of side play)  Even after I had tightend the two screws that hold the bracket,rear of gas cap cover on to the metal pin that it swivels on it still had a lot of play(side to side wiggle) The service dept said they would replace the whole thing under warranty if I wanted, but I decided to try to fix it myself instead of maybe waiting two weeks for parts and then end up with another loose one. After I took it apart I found that their is a horizontal metal shaft that the gas cap cover and the bracket with the two screws in it pivots on.(the tech told me to bend the brackets). However, I took two pieces of of shrink wrap tubing, slid it over the horizontal pin on both sides, heated it with my heat gun on low and then reinstalled the bracket and gas cap cover. It is pretty much wiggle proof now, so if the tubing lasts I should be okay for a long time. Easy fix took about 10 minutes. grc, thanks again for all your input to the site. P.S. all the dresser style bikes at the dealership had locking gas cap covers so I asked a guy there if I could get a key to check one of them out. He gave me a key and then said "ANY BARREL KEY WILL UNLOCK THEM".So I tried the barrel key from my bike and UNLOCKED at least 5 different gas cap covers to check for play in the rear pivot. (SORRY FOR THE LENGTHY POST)

Often the rattle comes from the pushbutton itself.  Make sure the nut that secures it is snug, then make sure the spring on the door hinge is applying enough pressure to remove all the free play in the latch.  You can bend the tabs on the spring to increase or decrease the tension.

Jerry

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 22 queries.