Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overheard at the dealership…  (Read 2098 times)

West AR CVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Amethyst White Black Licorice
Overheard at the dealership…
« on: September 22, 2018, 08:35:57 AM »

While visiting the local dealership were I once worked, I overheard a conversation between a customer and service personnel. The discussion caught my attention when I heard the service manager tell the customer he “just lost a lifter in his 2015 CVO TK.” Then he told him that metal did go throughout the motor but that they could clean it up and he could expect another 50k in mileage. The customer was asking about upping performance from stock and the “service consultant” had suggested adding the 255 cams to the ticket. Being the consultant is a recent hire, I understand him making the mistake. The customer wanted the upgraded SE oil pump and billet cam plate too, but the service mgr told him it came stock. The conversation turned back to cams and the customer decided to add SE585’s but was told the CVO heads couldn’t handle the lift and wouldn’t work. I’m amazed that they do any service work other than warranty in this shop… The worst part about this story is the customer is paying out of pocket. No ESP. I’m embarrassed to say I used to work there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Overheard at the dealership…
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 09:27:37 AM »

could this be the reason for your other thread in re to 2019s not selling?  maybe other people are aware of this dealer's incompetence and/or downright lying.  seems a lot of other dealerships are not having this same problem.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

mark

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »

I don't know the history of this dealership, but this is what I've noticed (and I'm sure everyone else).  Since about the mid 2000s as the solo HD owners headed towards retirement, they put their dealerships up for sale.  Some of the savvy owners probably saw it was a good time to exit, knowing their customer base was dwindling.  Those dealerships were purchased by consortiums of investors, car dealerships, etc., whose only goal was max profits.  All the long-time dealership employees left, they were replaced with people that would work for less, but unfortunately don't know chit.  JM2C.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »

I don't know the history of this dealership, but this is what I've noticed (and I'm sure everyone else).  Since about the mid 2000s as the solo HD owners headed towards retirement, they put their dealerships up for sale.  Some of the savvy owners probably saw it was a good time to exit, knowing their customer base was dwindling.  Those dealerships were purchased by consortiums of investors, car dealerships, etc., whose only goal was max profits.  All the long-time dealership employees left, they were replaced with people that would work for less, but unfortunately don't know chit.  JM2C.

I’d say that’s also true here in the UK.

Using Tapatalk

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »

I said this about computers many years ago:  'I've learned more about computers than I ever wanted to know.'  Yeah it was a kind of joke but had a kernel of truth.  All I really wanted to do was use the dang thing but I found that I had to know a awful lot about it to get it to do what I wanted.  Same with all the modern complications in our daily lives.  You have to know more than you want just to protect yourself.  Darn shame this customer is being such a steaming pile of BS.  And he doesn't know enough to realize that.  Be glad you are no longer associated with such a dealership.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

imoo6170

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
    • CVO2: 2021 FXLRS
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 08:59:10 PM »

I’d say that’s also true here in the UK.

Certainly true in Australia - we have a couple of "consortium's of investors" (probably about 5 or so) that own the majority of Harley dealerships in Australia. Sales staff are useless, some of the parts staff are very good but most are useless and pretty well the same can be said for the workshop staff. Had one person from one of the workshops ask me where I got the accessory front end on my Springer the other day. He thought that it was a Breakout with a custom front end.... (needless to say I don't have my bike serviced at that shop) :)

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.