Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AMANET RED LIGHT CHANGER  (Read 1151 times)

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
AMANET RED LIGHT CHANGER
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »

Has anybody used this device? Suppose to help changing the red light on those intersections that have an on-demand light changing system on the pavement that actually fail to sense the motorcycle. .

PAPA T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: Not CVO 99FXSTS
    • CVO3: NOT CVO 83 Ironhead & 98 Sportys
Re: AMANET RED LIGHT CHANGER
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 05:02:52 AM »

Wouldn't waste my money on it.  You can get larger magnets cheaper or even free.

One simple way to increase your chances of being detected is to attach a neodymium ("rare earth") magnet out of a computer hard drive at the lowest point you can on your frame. The "skin effect" of these strong magnets disturb the induction loop making your bike seem to be a larger mass of metal.

As it states in the article below you want the largest mass of metal over the wire in the loop.
Here is a link for a simplified description of how detector loops work.    http://www.labreform.org/education/loops.html

Here is a more technical description.      http://www.marshproducts.com/pdf/Inductive%20Loop%20Write%20up.pdf

A source for Neodymium magnets.  Read the warnings about breaking bones with some of these magnets!!!  Also got some interesting videos.

Tim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:10:25 PM by PAPA T »
It'll feel better when it quits hurting!!!

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »

The device your looking at doesn't appear to be a magnet if you have to tape it in place?  Wouldn't waste my money on it.

One simple way to increase your chances of being detected is to attach a neodymium ("rare earth") magnet out of a computer hard drive at the lowest point you can on your frame. The "skin effect" of these strong magnets disturb the induction loop making your bike seem to be a larger mass of metal.

As it states in the article below you want the largest mass of metal over the wire in the loop.
Here is a link for a simplified description of how detector loops work.    http://www.labreform.org/education/loops.html

Here is a more technical description.      http://www.marshproducts.com/pdf/Inductive%20Loop%20Write%20up.pdf

A source for Neodymium magnets.  Read the warnings about breaking bones with some of these magnets!!!  Also got some interesting videos.

Tim

Thanks Tim.

I had that thing in my hand, and let me tell you it is a very strong magnet , very strong pull. Now the reason they want you to secure with the tape is to help prevent a larger attraction to a bigger piece of metal and get the magnet loose. Thats there explanation.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:42:42 AM »

Do they recommend adding an item to the 5000 mile maintenance intervals to clean off all the metal debris that their device collects off the street? ::)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:51:01 PM »

Do they recommend adding an item to the 5000 mile maintenance intervals to clean off all the metal debris that their device collects off the street? ::)

Jerry

I do not know about that, but I would not use it if you have a pacemaker!!!!!

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.