Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tour-Pak® Brake Light/Running Light/Turn Tour-Pak® Brake Conversion Kit  (Read 3167 times)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member

Has any one had failure with this LED light? . The problem I'm having is with turn signal, the right side is working but not the left. I hear the kicking of the module that runs the light for the right signal, but not when I press the lift. Is that module changeable? Any options?

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

Trey, have you checked for pinched/loose wires under the seat or some place forward of the module?  The wire is probably a violet wire which typically is used for the left turn signal circuit.  If the wire is pinched/broken/loose/grounded before the module, the module may not get any juice when the left turn signal is used. 

I checked the install instructions for the kit, and there is no part no. listed for the module.  In fact, the service parts list says the module is not part of the kit and, of course, it was when I installed it on my bike some months ago.

The installation instruction sheet is no. J05081, but I couldn't access it on HD's website as I have for many other instruction sheets when I supplied the J number.  Don't know if this is just a glitch or perhaps HD has changed the instruction sheet no. for the kit.

Hope you find a solution.

Carl

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member

I looked also for the installation sheet, they may have removed them. I don't know, the left  side illuminates but does not flash. I got the original sheet and was wondering if item 11. Module harness is it. But I'm going the call HD today over lunch to see what they say. 8 spoke with zanotti and they said since I'm pass 90 days they may not warranty it. I put it on in September, but I only road it maybe 3 time in oct. Then oldman winter showed up.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

Good luck with the warranty route.  A couple of other thoughts...  Do both sides brake lights function?  If the left doesn't, perhaps the filament for the brake/turn function is burned out.  Try swapping the right side with the left.

Also, the fact that the left side still works in run mode, simply means that filament and circuit works.  The circuit for the run light function is the blue wire referenced in step 9. 

You could test the module by swapping the violet and brown wires at the Y-harness.  This would reverse (left/right) the turn signal function, but it would allow you to see if the violet (left side) wire is sound if it will complete a circuit through the module.  You could check the violet wire circuit with an ohm meter or a test light also.

Hope you find a solution.

Carl

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member

Okay I'll try switching it around

Thanks
Carl

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member

Carl would you know if 69200042A is the same harness and module that comes with the wrap around light.

Trey

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

Trey, here are the instructions for the tour-pak wrap around LED light kit:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05090.pdf

You have the installation instructions for your kit to compare to the above.  My quick look didn't show the same p/n's.

Carl

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member

Here's the deal Carl, I removed all the power from the harness all the way back to the rear fender. What ever relay that's in that module must have opened.  It seems to ops normal now. I'm going to ride tomorrow and see if it stays fixed.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

Thanks for the update; hope it's fixed.

Carl

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 26 queries.