Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning on the rear speaker outputs for HK radio  (Read 5116 times)

mlangfelder

Turning on the rear speaker outputs for HK radio
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:45:50 PM »

Looking for some help, I just installed a HOG TUNES amp on my 2011 CVO roadglide, this is going to be wired to power two speakers in my lower fairing. I taped into the four unused pins on the ultra harness that are labeled Rear speakers at the back of the radio. Problem is I don't have any sound coming from those pins, does anyone know if there is a flash to turn on the rear speaker outputs?  The factory front and rear speakers are all being powered via the HK AMP and getting there signal from the front speaker output as far as I can tell. Any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks,

Mark
2011 CVO Road GLide - Slate grey
2002 Heritage Classic War Paint

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Turning on the rear speaker outputs for HK radio
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:16:38 AM »

The OEM 35 wire connector at the back of the HK on your bike won't have wires in slots 1,2,24, and 25.  Those pin outs are typically used for rear speakers, but aren't on your bike as you noted.  I don't understand your reference to the "label," but then I've never seen the wiring harness on the CVO RGU.

If you've attached wires correctly (i.e. left/right +/-) at those pin outs and not getting any sound, I'm with you and stumped since those pin outs are typically "live" and the only thing a dealer would do if it wasn't done at the factory would be to turn "on" the fader function--the pin outs would provide sound via speakers connected to them, but w/o fader control.

If you are referring to connectors on the harness that you've tapped, and not the 35 wire connector itself, then the problem is that the four pin outs referenced above haven't been accessed to provide the rear speaker signals.

Carl

mlangfelder

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »

You are correct, I used the empty pin locations 1,2,,,,in the 35 pin harness.  No sound , tonight I will bypass the amp to ensure I don't have a faulty amp, My Radio does already have the fade control turned on for the stock speakers. I am told the fade is controlled through the stock CVO AMP.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »

Good luck with your test.  One other item to check is to be sure the wires/sockets installed for the rear speaker pin outs are fully inserted.  If you look at the face of the 35 wire connector, all of the sockets should be touching the inner surface of the red wedgelock of the connector.  It's possible to insert wires and they may feel as if they are locked in the connector (i.e. you can tug them and they won't come out), but they have not been fully inserted preventing contact with the pin outs of the radio. 

Having the amp controlling the fader function is an interesting feature of your bike.  Whether that feature also turns "off" the rear speaker pin outs of the HK radio which are normally "live" may be what you are dealing with.

Hope you sort it out.

Carl 

mlangfelder

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:06:29 AM »

Just an update, after a close review of the drawings I found a note that states "with amplifier and no sidecar these leads are not active from the radio" those meaning pins 1,2,24, 25 from the 35 pin connector on the bck of the radio.......hummmmmm I wonder if there is a flash to add a side car that would help.......

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:19:37 AM »

Thanks for the update and information.  Curious to know which drawings had the note regarding the pin outs.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

mlangfelder

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »

The drawing is the 2010  ultra radio with amp audio circiut drawing. the note is near the top in the middle (left to right)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 05:18:30 PM »

Thanks for the link and information in drawing B-28.

Carl

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 06:40:30 PM »

Just an update, after a close review of the drawings I found a note that states "with amplifier and no sidecar these leads are not active from the radio" those meaning pins 1,2,24, 25 from the 35 pin connector on the bck of the radio.......hummmmmm I wonder if there is a flash to add a side car that would help.......

Pretty sure they are referring to the leads in the wiring harness not being active (nowhere to go) in that configuration, not the output from the radio not being active. After we talked, we re-verified the fact that we had rear speaker output with the HK amp hooked up to the system.

We are not aware of a radio flash for the sidecar. None of the test radios we have would have been set up in a side car, and the two we tested gave us both amp and rear speaker outputs. We've got a call into tech services and will let you know what we find.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »

the HD dealer can flash the radio for the fader option, it's a free service.
I just had it done to mine because I'm adding speakers to my lowers.
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 06:32:44 AM »

Yes, but the fader option does not activate the rear speaker outputs, just the fader. The outputs are always active.
We ran the system again with the amo in place and we do get speaker out from the radio.
Still waiting on a response from Tech Services....that time of year

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.