Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Happy days or Disappointment  (Read 2976 times)

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
Happy days or Disappointment
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »

We all look forward to getting our new purchase, full of excitement and expectation. But how many of you guys have actually received a 2015 CVO SG that you are completely happy with.

With regard to paint and general fit and finish.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:55:58 PM by skycat »
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Re: Happy days or Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »

I would give mine an 8
  • Overspray in the saddlebag lid
  • one of the saddlebag speaker installed backwards

Other than that all great...or at least I haven't found any more.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »

The only issue I found was that the underneath side lip of the saddlebag doesn't have paint all the way to the edge in some spots, which is no big deal because you can't see it on the bag when it's closed anyway.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:02:29 PM by Nicky Pass »

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:33:02 PM »

My only issue is a chip on the under side of each saddle bag lid. Both lids will be replaced, and with the lids closed you can't even see the chips. Hasn't affected my ridding at all. I've even gotten in a couple of rides this month :orange:
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:59:28 PM »

Same thing tiny chip under saddle bag lid, told them to get me the touch up paint for free, touched it up and you can't even tell. Other than that, very happy!

phantomxrt

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Streetglide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »

My immediate reaction upon seeing it the first time would be to give it a 5 out of 10:

1. An unpainted longitiudinal area about an inch by a quarter inch where the windscreen meets the batwing;
2. A painted area about two inches in diameter on the right side of the batwing with no (or abraded) clearcoat;
3. A thumb print on the left side of the batwing in the paint that has been covered over with clearcoat;
4. One flame on the rear fender is wider and longer than the other one because the dozey chimp doing the pinstriping simply gave zero f#%^s that day.

However, upon cooling down I would give it a 10 out of 10, because the dealer found everything on inspection and ordered the replacement parts before I even saw the bike myself. And to compensate for the inconvenience caused by Harley-Davidson's poor workmanship (admittedly the fault of Gunslinger, the subcontracted painter), the dealership added some accessories free-of-charge.

The dealer was magnificent. I have no beef with them. Not by a long shot.

Unfortunately, the MoCo just doesn't get it. I phoned them with my complaint and the guy I spoke with just couldn't accept that my complaints were real.

Oh well. First world problems I guess. No sense complaining about a $50,000 bike with chipped paint when some of our veterans live on the streets and can't afford winter clothes...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:07:17 PM by phantomxrt »

MiCrow

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:02:59 PM »

New ultraviolet blue and hot molten lava. Picked it up in October. Only issues were one cowbell had a paint run and one speaker cover was dented. Dealer fixed everything no problem and pointed it out at delivery. Extremely happy with mine.

CVOJIMMYC

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: MY BSR "shes a sweet ride too"
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 10:10:47 PM »

My 2010 sesg is fantastic, BUT , this rant is all to familiar......... REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  at what point do we, as business owners stop giving a F*^K what our clients think ?????????????? This is huge $$$$$ to own a Screamin eagle , whatever model it may be, not to mention the poor folk that can't even fathom owning a HD. We only buy them because of the label, I've owned all the jap bikes at one time or another!
 I personally wish never to own anything other than an HD. But DAMIT MOCO STOP thumbing your noses at us , and get it together.................
I'm certain that there is someone who is standing by ready to defend the MOCO, because you are all to familiar with  the  production based assembly line,  and are certainly a member of the UAW, well................I personally am not interested in the lame  a$$ status quo , leave that to the corporate Pigs and come down here where  "WE" the riders live . HARLEY DAVIDSON is an American  Icon and a Legacy, and I wish the MOCO would stop dumbing it down, just because we are standing in line to buy one.......JMHO WHEWWWW I'm out of breath ........... next?????????   let er rip :confused5:
My favorite color is chrome

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:12:17 AM »

Now for the other side of the coin!

Happy Days and Nights here!!!

I don't buy HD for the label!!!! I won't ( who would?? ) spend this kind of money for something unless I (they) LOVE IT!!!! I might be wrong about this, but I don't think anyone was holding a gun to anyone's head MAKING them BUY the damn bike! Face it... it is not the LABEL! It is the look, the ride, and the feel of a HARLEY DAVIDSON! For me it is first and foremost one thing... I love riding with the wind in my face, the freedom, the adrenaline, the adventure. I used to race bikes but got tired of getting hurt, and too old. This is second best thing to that.

I feel very fortunate to be able to afford and ride this bike. If you don't like the bike walk away and leave it for someone who will.

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 01:03:32 AM »

I think that most people who would purchase a CVO are true Harley enthusiast's. For me this is the case, the CVO is simply top shelf the best of the best that Harley produce, but should we put up with something that is substandard. I don't think that in all fairness we can expect the bike to be perfect, But i do expect the paint and chrome to be 100% for me that is the most important thing, everything else i can sort out myself.
The CVO is all about the PAINT, i could not forgive Harley for delivering a bike to me that was substandard in this area, there is no excuse.

When i purchased my 100th black/silver Lowrider i could not fault the bike in any way, it is and was 100% perfect  :) 

Has something changed in HD! maybe now that Willy G has retired a few things have slipped. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:50:15 AM by skycat »
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 02:04:46 AM »

I totally agree that you should be happy with the bike. You should make sure you are happy with it BEFORE paying for it. As you said nothing is perfect. I would not have accepted some of these bikes mentioned with the paint issues. At least I don't think I would have. Fortunately, it sounds like everyone is getting basically taken care of.

Custom paint is difficult to get perfect. It takes a lot of money to get closer to perfect custom paint. If you have ever dealt with having a hot rod painted with show quality custom paint... the labor involved is ridiculous. HD in order to keep the costs down are using a soft and easy to buff clear coat. Makes it easy to get rid of the scratches and swirls, but at the same time makes it easy to get the scratches and swirls. Better get a DA buffer if you don't already have one! The non-CVO factory model clear coat is much harder than the CVO clear coat. Compared to general production paint, they just can not quality control the custom paint process at a reasonable cost for the small CVO numbers. Just reality. Dealing with this is even harder for you since you are "Way down under." It is harder to just take your deposit down the road to the next dealership to shop for a better custom paint job!

Personally I am not only happy with the paint and trim, I am happy with the mechanical and other recent design improvements. Good Luck, but walk away if you need to.

rockinred

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »

I totally agree that you should be happy with the bike. You should make sure you are happy with it BEFORE paying for it. As you said nothing is perfect. I would not have accepted some of these bikes mentioned with the paint issues. At least I don't think I would have. Fortunately, it sounds like everyone is getting basically taken care of.

Custom paint is difficult to get perfect. It takes a lot of money to get closer to perfect custom paint. If you have ever dealt with having a hot rod painted with show quality custom paint... the labor involved is ridiculous. HD in order to keep the costs down are using a soft and easy to buff clear coat. Makes it easy to get rid of the scratches and swirls, but at the same time makes it easy to get the scratches and swirls. Better get a DA buffer if you don't already have one! The non-CVO factory model clear coat is much harder than the CVO clear coat. Compared to general production paint, they just can not quality control the custom paint process at a reasonable cost for the small CVO numbers. Just reality. Dealing with this is even harder for you since you are "Way down under." It is harder to just take your deposit down the road to the next dealership to shop for a better custom paint job!

Personally I am not only happy with the paint and trim, I am happy with the mechanical and other recent design improvements. Good Luck, but walk away if you need to.

You have some insightful perspective on a lot of things here.  The only problem I see with what you are saying in regards to HD CVO paint is that they mark up for the premium paint.  Also, think about the amount of work and labor involved in putting together a $40,000 car.  It's close to high end and considered that by many.  The detail and work and craftsmanship involved is much more intense than a motorcycle assembly and I don't care how bad the bike.  So for $40,000 on a bike, the MOCO has no excuse on any paint issues or no justification for not having clear as hard as the factory production paint.  I guess my point is that custom paint is more labor intensive and that's a non arguing fact.  But to cut corners or to try and justify issues with a custom paint job is not something at this price tag that should be a compromise for any consumer.

With all that... I don't have any paint issues on either of my two CVO bikes.   

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »

Thanks for not jumping all over me! Just giving my opinion here. I'm trying to inject some reality into it as well. It is without a doubt a lot of money. Mine out the door with some changes, 5 yr extended, and tax was $45k exactly. That was my number. On the other hand the $40k car example you used I believe somewhat supports my point regarding custom paint. That car has a similar paint quality that the non-CVO models have!
Actually the car manufacturers won't go near offering custom paint with graphics like this. Harley in some ways just is not as smart as they are.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »

One other thing regarding the CVO clear they use. If I understand correctly the main reason they chose it was for its ability to cover (bury) graphics. An issue that non-CVO paint does not have to deal with.

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.