Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Glad to have the ESP  (Read 16832 times)

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Glad to have the ESP
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »

15,000 mile service today on my '10 SESG. Tech noticed leaking around the stator plug. Covered by the ESP, $400++ without. Glad to have the extended coverage. It's not just dollars and cents, it's the no hassle factor too.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Glad to have the ESP
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »

15,000 mile service today on my '10 SESG. Tech noticed leaking around the stator plug. Covered by the ESP, $400++ without. Glad to have the extended coverage. It's not just dollars and cents, it's the no hassle factor too.
Nice thing too is that they upgraded the plug with an extra O-ring in 2011, so you'll get the new part. 

FWIW, I love my ESP. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »

I'd be more impressed if you had the ESP and only had to pay a $50 deductible for a complete engine failure.  Considering the price for an ESP, if this is your first ESP repair you still have a long way to go before you break even.  As for the hassle factor, I guess I don't understand that.  To me the biggest hassle is the lack of reliability and the necessity to make repairs, not whether I have to pay $50 or the full repair price.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »

Jerry, the ESP did just that for us, twice!

They replaced the motor in my wife's 09 Street Glide and six months later on my 10 SESG they covered the complete rebuild due to scissored flywheels.  Since I had it at an indy shop, I paid to have the flywheels pinned and welded and balanced out of my pocket but the rest of the labor and parts were covered.

The ESP on my last three baggers....and my wife's.....all four bikes paid for theirselves and then some on each of the bikes.  However, we did put a lot of miles on them.  For somebody that puts 5k to 7k miles a year it may not be cost effective.  Then again, at the failure rate that these bikes have.....it may be money well spent if you only put 3k miles a year on the clock.

And like Michael said.....when you're riding cross country and out in the middle of timbuctoo....it sure is a piece of mind.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

potlucky

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »

Just got my 1000 mile service done a month or so ago. I was browsing the parts and shooting the sheet, the service writer walked up to me and said "Well your ESP just got a little cheaper, you got a nail in your rear tire." Replaced under tire and wheel coverage. So I still got a long way to get even, and honestly I don't want to. Anyway, glad I had no out of pocket expense at the time.

JonMac

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »

I have ESP too.  better safe than sorry

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:43:33 PM »

Not an ESP user.

My wife's 09 Heritage has had one failure in 91,000 miles.  The Stator went out with 51K on the bike.  New service writer came out, looked at it wrote down the Mileage, and in about ten minutes said this repair will be costly, you ready to hear the price, My reply was nope, it's under warranty for two more weeks.  The look on his face was priceless, and he says to me you put 51K on in less than two years, and I replied, nope, I never ride this bike, its my wife's!

She still has and rides the Heritage, but we just traded her 18 month old street glide with 38,650 miles on it for a 13 street glide in April.  She will have 10K on it when she gets home from Bend Oregon Monday.

I guess we are very lucky, but so far with the exception of my fatboy all my big repairs have been in the 2 year warranty.

I will say the lifters failed on My 09 CVO two weeks after I traded it, with 44K on it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »

My SESG has the ESP from the previous owner.  Harley transferred it over to me.  I had it on my last bike and have it on this one until 2015.  Glad to have the piece of mind.  I was wondering if you can extend the ESP when it runs out?
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 07:44:41 AM »

My SESG has the ESP from the previous owner.  Harley transferred it over to me.  I had it on my last bike and have it on this one until 2015.  Glad to have the piece of mind.  I was wondering if you can extend the ESP when it runs out?
That option has become available recently... Just before mine was about to run out I received a letter (can't remember if it was from dealer or ESP company) stating I could bring my bike back in before the original ESP ran out and renew it. However there is a mileage restriction (no more than XX,XXX miles) on the bike that has to be met.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 08:23:29 AM »

That option has become available recently... Just before mine was about to run out I received a letter (can't remember if it was from dealer or ESP company) stating I could bring my bike back in before the original ESP ran out and renew it. However there is a mileage restriction (no more than XX,XXX miles) on the bike that has to be met.
I believe 75,000 miles is the limit.
The best you've had is the best you know.

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 02:04:14 PM »

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Thanks.  Good to know.  I heard someone mention they had extended their plan but had not heard of it before. 
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 12:08:29 AM »

i was just speaking with someone the other day about this.  you can renew your esp, but only if your bike is less than 12 years old, and has less than 75,000 miles on it.  he explained to me the best way to do it would be to take the 7 yr on a new bike (2 year factory + 5 yr extended), then when that expires, take the 4 year extension.  that will take you out to 11 years, 1 day.  then take the 5 year extended again.  that will take you out to 16 years.

he explained the reason to take the 4 year the second time around is that technically if you took the 5 year, you would be renewing it at 12 years, and 1 day.  1 day beyond the renewal point.

now of course, the 75,000 mile limit applies at your renewal points.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Glenncarp

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »

I have ESP too.  better safe than sorry

I make my living as an insurance adjuster for property damage. Weekly I see people who bought the cheapest insurance one can have on a home or condominium. Weekly I hear those same people complain that either they did not choose coverage properly or they were not told by their agents what the policy included or excluded. Others were advided and still gambled on the cheaper plan.

I learned quickly that no one wants to pay for insurance....Until it is needed, then the $ saving idea is out the window. We may pay for the ESP on 3 bikes and never use it. It will be that 4th bike that we do not buy it on that the engine craps out a week after the factory warranty is up!!!

Piece of mind is priceless no matter the poor odds, IMHO

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »

Piece of mind is priceless no matter the poor odds, IMHO
Been paying the extra $125 a year for four years for flood damage insurance on a rental property in Penticton, BC.........as luck would have it, it flooded! Bill's gonna be over $20k whens all's said and done.....including lost revenue. Makes the extra $125 seen like a mere pittance!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Glenncarp

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »

Been paying the extra $125 a year for four years for flood damage insurance on a rental property in Penticton, BC.........as luck would have it, it flooded! Bill's gonna be over $20k whens all's said and done.....including lost revenue. Makes the extra $125 seen like a mere pittance!

That is cheap and good coverage....USA flood program is run by the Government, not to get into a political conversation, but FEMA (Government entity that runs the flood program) allows 2 fans and 1 dehumidifier for 1,200 SF of living space, that is all they will pay for. that is not enough to dry out a 3' X5' closet! They also only pay for damaged contents at ACV (Actual cash value) That means the depreciate all content items. So you get pennies on the dollar for a 5 year old couch.Oh, and my flood insurance costs me $1,200 a year as my property elevation is 2" below the flood plane in my neighborhood!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 20 queries.