Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Glad to have the ESP  (Read 16832 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Re: Glad to have the ESP
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »

Buying the ESP is Bet

The buyer is betting that his Harley is going to need mechanical repairs during the life of the policy.

The seller is betting the there won't be any needed repairs. (plus statically, most bikes are note ridden over 2k/year)

If you put the miles on....odds are it will break

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2016, 05:51:44 PM »

Buying the ESP is Bet

The buyer is betting that his Harley is going to need mechanical repairs during the life of the policy.

The seller is betting the there won't be any needed repairs. (plus statically, most bikes are note ridden over 2k/year)

Well actually it is not a bet.  A bet or a wager is something that creates a risk where none previously existed - the risk of losing or winning.  Your Harley will need a repair at some point that you will have to pay if you keep it beyond the factory warranty and the risk is there from the minute your factory warranty expires.  So the questions is:  how much of that risk are you willing to assume and how much, if any, do you want to lay off to the ESP provider?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »

BTW there is no deductible for Wheel & Tire - unless H-D has changed the contract since I bought the one for my '12.

I think it was September of last year that they added the deductible to wheel and tire coverage.  if you had already purchased your esp by then, then you would have no ded.  but, come renewal time....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2016, 08:32:58 PM »

I think it was September of last year that they added the deductible to wheel and tire coverage.  if you had already purchased your esp by then, then you would have no ded.  but, come renewal time....
Bummer.  They're always looking for ways to separate you from your $$$$.   :huepfenlol2:

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 09:29:57 PM »

Bummer.  They're always looking for ways to separate you from your $$$$.   :huepfenlol2:

When you go through engines as often as tires you're still money ahead Jerry  ;D .

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 10:21:18 PM »

Went through the paperwork I paid $1887. for the 5 years of Extended Warranty for a total of 7 years; minus 3 months, minus $86. = $1801.
In that time I received:
Starter
Compensator
Shift Shaft Seal
Grip Sensor
Oil Cooler Adapter Assy
Stator
8 Tires

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2016, 10:33:30 PM »

When you go through engines as often as tires you're still money ahead Jerry  ;D .
True that.  But it's a darn sorry way to beat the odds.   :'(

IBA member # 45520

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »

Buying the ESP is Bet

CAT a little gaming went into my decision to purchase the second ESP, however, unlike many I consider it an investment, especially if you own a Harley. I have a motorcycle with 74,000 plus miles on it with the original ESP terminating within 6 months; I have never had any motor trouble with my 2009 FLTRSE3, odds are I will have some sort of motor issue(s) within the next three years or 100,000 miles so I purchased the 3 year ESP with Tire and Wheel for $1899. when the motorcycle reach 74995 miles. I had to cancel the original ESP which still had 3 months remaining on it (Harley sent me a check for $86.).As previously stated the motorcycle suffered a catastrophic engine failure at 83,696 miles which cost in excess of $6300. to repair.       

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2016, 02:39:41 PM »

Went through the paperwork I paid $1887. for the 5 years of Extended Warranty for a total of 7 years; minus 3 months, minus $86. = $1801.
In that time I received:
Starter
Compensator
Shift Shaft Seal
Grip Sensor
Oil Cooler Adapter Assy
Stator
8 Tires

WOW....8 tires... :'( :'( :'(...what kind of roads are you riding on?   

The ESP w/tire protection worked out great for you....were there any tows involved also?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:44:59 PM by Cat Eye »

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2016, 03:05:48 PM »

CAT a little gaming went into my decision to purchase the second ESP, however, unlike many I consider it an investment, especially if you own a Harley. I have a motorcycle with 74,000 plus miles on it with the original ESP terminating within 6 months; I have never had any motor trouble with my 2009 FLTRSE3, odds are I will have some sort of motor issue(s) within the next three years or 100,000 miles so I purchased the 3 year ESP with Tire and Wheel for $1899. when the motorcycle reach 74995 miles. I had to cancel the original ESP which still had 3 months remaining on it (Harley sent me a check for $86.).As previously stated the motorcycle suffered a catastrophic engine failure at 83,696 miles which cost in excess of $6300. to repair.       

Good move!!

The only thing I dislike about the ESP is that it needs to break before you can make a claim....which discourage the replacement of worn parts.....I had a oil pump that was becoming weak and I felt that it should be replaced....ESP said that it was still OK....we all know what happens when the oil pump fails.  Then there the classic tic from the probable lifter failure which will grenadine the engine.

But like I said before....if you put the miles on get the ESP...ride the hell out of it and have fun.....just make sure you have the roadside assistance numbers handy and only make hotel reservations that you can cancel before 4pm on the day of your arrival.   

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »

Good move!!

The only thing I dislike about the ESP is that it needs to break before you can make a claim....which discourage the replacement of worn parts.....I had a oil pump that was becoming weak and I felt that it should be replaced....ESP said that it was still OK....we all know what happens when the oil pump fails.  Then there the classic tic from the probable lifter failure which will grenadine the engine.

But like I said before....if you put the miles on get the ESP...ride the hell out of it and have fun.....just make sure you have the roadside assistance numbers handy and only make hotel reservations that you can cancel before 4pm on the day of your arrival.   
I understand the dislikes believe me, the so called tradesmen out here ride around with boxes of nails on their trucks unsecured and the nails are on the road and or highway. When they rebuilt my motor they put in the Screamin Eagle Cam Plate with Oil Pump the oil pressure is way up there now compared to the stock oil pump and it was covered by ESP.

TheDevilDawg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2016, 06:23:49 PM »

Im shopping now
Any input good vs bad
Cornerstone United
Zurich
HD
???
Anybody got a guy/gal?

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2016, 07:10:53 PM »

Im shopping now
Any input good vs bad
Cornerstone United
Zurich
HD
???
Anybody got a guy/gal?
While shopping, know that the HD ESP can only be purchased in the state the bike is registered in; in my case I wanted tire and wheel coverage included; see how much the deductible is if any; do you have to use a HD Dealer for service or not, there are pros and cons to that with regard to parts availability and parts being shipped from HD;and of course the cost. Do your homework with all that want your money. I have the HD ESP, not saying it's the best option but after the motor imploded and ESP paid over $6300. glad I had it.         
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:21:04 AM by FLTRCVO »

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2016, 07:15:32 PM »

While shopping, know that the HD ESP can only be purchased in the state the bike is registered in; in my case I wanted tire and wheel coverage; see how much the deductible is if any; do you have to use a HD Dealer for service or not, there are pros and cons to that with regard to parts availability and parts being shipped from HD;and of course the cost. Do your homework with all that want your money. I have the HD ESP, not saying it's the best option but after the motor imploded and ESP paid over $6300. glad I had it.         
I too am darn glad I had ESP to replace/rebuild the motors on my '07 and my '12 to the tune of $5k++.  They were H-D versions of the ESP.  On my 2017 CVO Limited I just purchased the Cornerstone Wheel & Tire for $325 for six years with no deductible.  Can't beat that price for sure.  I'll decide on the mechanical ESP later as I have 34 months of factory warranty remaining.  If I do purchase and ESP I am almost certain it will be Cornerstone because of the significant savings. :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2016, 07:18:51 PM »

Im shopping now
Any input good vs bad
Cornerstone United
Zurich
HD
???
Anybody got a guy/gal?
Compare hotel coverage if you break down somewhere. That's what sent me back to the standard HD ESP over the Cornerstone one. A couple nights in a hotel and any savings are washed down the pipe.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.