Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Glad to have the ESP  (Read 16832 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Glad to have the ESP
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »

I make my living as an insurance adjuster for property damage. Weekly I see people who bought the cheapest insurance one can have on a home or condominium. Weekly I hear those same people complain that either they did not choose coverage properly or they were not told by their agents what the policy included or excluded. Others were advided and still gambled on the cheaper plan.

I learned quickly that no one wants to pay for insurance....Until it is needed, then the $ saving idea is out the window. We may pay for the ESP on 3 bikes and never use it. It will be that 4th bike that we do not buy it on that the engine craps out a week after the factory warranty is up!!!

Piece of mind is priceless no matter the poor odds, IMHO

Simple math tends to screw up your example Glenn.  Three ESP's on a Touring model would add up to more than $6k in "premiums", or more than enough to buy a brand new crate engine for that fourth bike.  Now consider the opportunity cost involved in all those "premiums" for the ESP's on the earlier bikes.  Even in the current economy, $6k invested in something that provides an actual return beats the daylights out of just padding the pockets of H-D, the dealer, and the ESP folks.

I still don't get the piece of mind comments.  Unless anyone plans to have the entire bike fail completely (and don't forget, the ESP doesn't cover many items), there is a practical ceiling to any out-of-pocket repair costs.  If someone can afford a $40k motorcycle plus another $3k or more for mods, I assume they can also afford a $3k-$5k repair bill.  It's not quite the same thing as not carrying insurance on a $400k home and having it burn to the ground.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Glenncarp

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 02:23:44 PM »

Simple math tends to screw up your example Glenn.  Three ESP's on a Touring model would add up to more than $6k in "premiums", or more than enough to buy a brand new crate engine for that fourth bike.  Now consider the opportunity cost involved in all those "premiums" for the ESP's on the earlier bikes.  Even in the current economy, $6k invested in something that provides an actual return beats the daylights out of just padding the pockets of H-D, the dealer, and the ESP folks.

I still don't get the piece of mind comments.  Unless anyone plans to have the entire bike fail completely (and don't forget, the ESP doesn't cover many items), there is a practical ceiling to any out-of-pocket repair costs.  If someone can afford a $40k motorcycle plus another $3k or more for mods, I assume they can also afford a $3k-$5k repair bill.  It's not quite the same thing as not carrying insurance on a $400k home and having it burn to the ground.

Jerry

Jerry,
I guess the greater portion of us (me included) can not and do not save that money for an event that may happen. The piece of mind comes from paying a bit of money a month as my HD dealer allowed me to do (18 months interest free) and that way if my motor fails, or another large part fails,  we have paid for it in advance, sort of. I agree the math works against this theory, but it is almost like having a forced savings plan for the bike.

Use your home as an example, it is a much larger scale, but it would not be wise if you were allowed, to not have property insurance and pay out of pocket if the home burns to the ground, it would be most unlikely that one could come up with the money to rebuild a house out of pocket. I think most of us feel we are in the same position with having to come out of pocket with $6K for an engine. That I believe is the piece of mind we refer to.

dlg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »

I believe everyone responding to this post has been on the this forum for awhile.  That being said if you have a CVO (110 engine) you will be replacing an engine every 30-50k miles.  I have read at least a half dozen posts with that outcome.  My experience is just that, one engine replaced at 10k and the other replaced at 30k, both 2011 SESG.  It is going to happen again.  Is the ESP worth it no, maybe, yes, who knows.  The way I look at it one engine pays for the 1/3 of the ESP.

Also, the ESP is the "secret handshake" at the dealers.  You take the bike in, they check on the computer and you get the bike back in a few weeks.  They just take care of it.  No phone calls, oh, by the way we recommend while we are in there this item needs to be replaced.  Just my $.02

David

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »

A 7 year ESP with tire & wheel coverage costs $1850, or roughly $22 a month for the entirety of the coverage (if you paid it that way, which you don't).  Put that money in a savings account making 2% interest and you'll have $2010 at the end of that 7 years.  Not really that much of a gain.

On the other hand, let's say you get a nail in a tire.  Your actual cost is now $400 less.  I get nails in my tires a lot, given my occupation (my last ESP paid for itself in less than 2 years on tires alone).  Let's say that nail in the tire happens at 10pm on a Saturday night when you're 1,000 miles from home.  Now that ESP is covering your tow, the tire, and your motel for the night.  Stator goes out?  $50.  Crank shifts?  $50.  Lifters give up the ghost?  $50.  Stereo dies?  $50.

The ESP is easily justified by having a couple of flats and one major parts failure.  If you ride a lot, and a lot of your rides are away from home (where all your tools are), it's easy to see how it's a great deal for the rider.  Seriously, $22/month to cover just about everything (including my lodging) when I average 2,200 miles a month?  No way I can lose on that deal.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Glenncarp

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »

I believe 75,000 miles is the limit.

75,000 it is. I know this b/c the dealer told me I should trade in my '04 Road King when I was looking for my '11 SERGU before it had 75K on it (it had 68K) b/c they can not get a warranty for a re sale if the mileage is over 75L, so that makes sense.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »

75,000 it is. I know this b/c the dealer told me I should trade in my '04 Road King when I was looking for my '11 SERGU before it had 75K on it (it had 68K) b/c they can not get a warranty for a re sale if the mileage is over 75L, so that makes sense.

75,000 miles, or 12 years.  there is a way to get up to 16 years of coverage.  when you buy the bike, go with the 7 year plan, then the 4 year plan.  when you do that, the new plan would start at 11 years, 1 day.  then you go with another 5 year plan.  you can't get the 5 year the second time around because you would be one day past the 12 year mark.  now of course, if your mileage is high enough that you're gonna bust the 75,000 before the 11 year mark, then of course you'd be better off going with the 5 year the second time around, which would give you an extra year of coverage.

or you could just throw caution to the wind and put that s&s crate motor in there and not worry about it :D
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 09:35:44 PM »

I have never purchased an ESP on the 5 new bikes that I bought. So far other than 1 stator I have had no problems after the factory warranty ran out. But since joining this forum I am scared chitless that this new bike, the most expensive one to date, is going to leave me stranded one day.

How many 110's were sold in 2013? By reading on here one would think that everyone one of them has blown up! Mine has 22K on it and has been a very good engine and bike.

Can you purchase an ESP for less than the 5 year extension? I do not plan on keeping this bike for more than 4 or 5 years at most so I see no sense in paying for a 5 year plan or 7 if you will with the 2 year factory warranty. Plus at my rate I will surpass 75,000 miles in 4 years.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »

Jerry

3K in mods???? Maybe in the 70's. Other than that I agree with your logic...have never bought a ESP
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »

Can you purchase an ESP for less than the 5 year extension? I do not plan on keeping this bike for more than 4 or 5 years at most so I see no sense in paying for a 5 year plan or 7 if you will with the 2 year factory warranty. Plus at my rate I will surpass 75,000 miles in 4 years.

yes, i believe you can go as low as 2 years.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 12:20:20 AM »

Have had ESP on 3 Harleys.  Most I paid was about $1700.  On the first 2 bikes was a few hundred "ahead" on my RK & almost $2k "ahead" on my 07 SEULTRA.  On my 10 SEULTRA have about $700 to go to the break even point.  Considering multiple compensator issues already it is very likely will be at the least a few hundred ahead on the 10.

Items replaced - not a complete list & some were multiple times same bike - shocks, starters, voltage regulators, compensators, lifters, oil leaks (all bikes, multiples on all), electrical issues, tour pack, bearings, rotors, radio....I could go on but the jist of it is - some bikes will nickel & dime you well past the ESP $$s, no engine failure required.  Other bikes - not mine unfortunately - have had fewer repairs.  It's an individual decision to buy ESP or not.  For me, on a Harley, it's a no brainer. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »

I have personally come to the conclusion if I have to buy a ESP because I know I am going to need it.
Than I had better rethink as why I am spending my money purchasing that product in the first place.  :nixweiss:
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »

I have personally come to the conclusion if I have to buy a ESP because I know I am going to need it.
Than I had better rethink as why I am spending my money purchasing that product in the first place.  :nixweiss:

Bingo!
LC110 has it figured out!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »

Apparently it's because they all have "soul", WETFTI?
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

ultrarider123

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 03:19:02 PM »

We have a winner for best quote of the day.  Give that man a kewpie doll.....

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »

And that is exactly why I am considering an Indian or a Victory or a Gold Wing for my next new bike!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.