Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Garage Door Opener DOES not work with Daymaker LEDs  (Read 4719 times)

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Garage Door Opener DOES not work with Daymaker LEDs
« on: July 15, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »

I have a 2012 CVO Ultra. In replacing the stock two plug headlamp with a single plug Daymaker LED, the garage door opener transmitter w/two plugs that goes between the power plug and old headlamp, is eliminated. Obviously, the remote garage door opener will not work without a transmitter.
I wired the transmitter harness into the headlamp plug and verified that the remote door opener DOES work when switching from low/high/low beam.
HOWEVER, after plugging in the LED headlamp (changing nothing else), the remote no longer works?
It is as if something in the Daymaker LED headlamp is cancelling out the signal sensed by the transmitter when going low/high/low beam?
I am STUMPED.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Garage Door Opener DOES not work with Daymaker LEDs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:36:31 PM »

I did the same conversion, just bought a male & female headlamp plug and transferred the wiring from the Garage door opener and plugged between the headlamp and the wiring harness. Worked fine.
I kept the jumper when I sold the bike, if I can find it I will take and post a photo.

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:16:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply. It would be great if you could post a photo as I am not following what you are describing.
When converting from the stock dual plug headlamp to the Daymaker, the dual plug is no longer used, so I am not sure what you meant by a "male to female" plug?

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »

I have a 2012 CVO Ultra. In replacing the stock two plug headlamp with a single plug Daymaker LED, the garage door opener transmitter w/two plugs that goes between the power plug and old headlamp, is eliminated. Obviously, the remote garage door opener will not work without a transmitter.
I wired the transmitter harness into the headlamp plug and verified that the remote door opener DOES work when switching from low/high/low beam.
HOWEVER, after plugging in the LED headlamp (changing nothing else), the remote no longer works?
It is as if something in the Daymaker LED headlamp is cancelling out the signal sensed by the transmitter when going low/high/low beam?
I am STUMPED.

Doesn't the harness have a jumper wire? It does on the 14 & up? Its power so you would just need a ground?
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:57:22 PM »

Fellow (pre 2014) CVOers who are contemplating the jump to LED lights… hopefully my experience will save you MANY HEADACHES  :'(

I purchased “Day Maker” LEDs on Amazon. They are NOT genuine Harley Davidson parts, but in every respect, they are a carbon copy. For all I know, they are the exact same pieces, just without the HD UPC symbols.
I purchased the running/spot lights and headlamp for about $125. They fit perfectly and were essentially plug-n-play. The headlamp came with several different harness adapters depending upon the model year.
The LED headlamp plugged directly into the power plug inside the HD fairing. Btw:  mine is a 2012 CVO Ultra.  This seemed REALLY SLICK as it completely eliminated the dual plug High/Low headlamp wiring harness which, btw, also had this funny little other bundle of wiring sheathed in heat shrink……..
So, after getting the lights installed and leaving for a ride, I noticed my garage door opening no longer worked? On CVO bikes, the garage door opener is activate by toggling the High/Low headlight switch.
Guess what that funny little bundle of wiring was attached to the original dual plug headlamp harness…? Yup, the TRANSMITTER.

After LOTS of experimenting with trying to wire the OE transmitter back into the bike.. and finding it WOULD active the garage door opener UNTIL I plugged in the LED headlamp, and then it would no longer activate the garage door opener!  Btw: I DO have a pretty good working knowledge of electronics.

More messing with the wiring, blowing out fuses, and finally giving up, I went to my local HD dealer. They had NO direct knowledge on what exactly needs to be done to replace the OE lighting with LEDs, but we looked through the HD parts catalog for clues…  btw, I was incredulous! WTF would they do IF I came in and said, “Hey guys, change out my CVO lighting to LED!”  Clueless.
Working with the parts counter guy, We found that the parts Harley recommends only extend to year 2011. There was NOTHING pertaining to a 2012 or 2013 ? 

The 2011 – 2013  CVO Ultras all appear to be identical, at least when it comes to the headlight / garage door wiring, so we (I) took a chance and ordered what HD recommends for a 2011.
p/n  71628-04

I purchased the LED headlight harness and while, this DID allow me to connect my LED headlamp, it had a female umbilical plug for the garage door opener transmitter… my OE transmitter was HARD WIRED into the old dual plug harness!  NO PLUG!
AS NO ONE at this HD shop could tell me how to wire my old transmitter to plug into the new harness, I elected to purchase a NEW transmitter, which from the parts catalog, appeared to plug directly into the new harness…. PROBLEM SOLVED! (so I thought).
p/n  91561-01B

Upon opening the new transmitter, I found that it did NOT have a plug, but a very long wire bundle, seemingly to run it under the seat and back to the fuse box! Connectors, tie wraps, and TOTAL cluster F**k!

Another trip back to HD, we determined I also had to purchase the MALE PLUG PARTS to allow me to plug the new transmitter into the new headlamp wiring harness.
The part numbers for the plug parts that would allow me to create a male plug on the transmitter that would plug into the new wiring harness:
Socket Lock, 4 way  p/n  74154-98
Socket Terminal  p/n 74191-98
Housing, black 4 way Soc  p/n 74114-98BK

You can see the picture of my transmitter AFTER creating the male plug.

So……. After all this, I am now back to having a WORKING garage door opener!
Btw: you DO have to reprogram the HD garage door opener receiver to the new transmitter… instructions are in the CVO Owners Manual.
Several buddies said, “Why the hell don’t you just put another garage door opener transmitter aboard your bike?”  That WOULD have been the easy fix, but I wanted the bike to work as designed.  Opening my garage door with the Hi/Low beam switch is slick 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:24:57 AM »

For me using the Daymaker knockoff from eBay with the Harley garage door opener was a slightly different process.

1) Take out old headlight
2) Install new headlight
3) Everything worked fine (including GDO).

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »

Glad you got it working.
I have 2 transmitters and 1 reciever on a shelf. Might ha e been able to save you some money on them if I knew you were going that direction.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »

Glad you got it working.
I have 2 transmitters and 1 reciever on a shelf. Might ha e been able to save you some money on them if I knew you were going that direction.

Just a wild guess... you aren't riding a 2012 CVO.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »

2015 limited. Transmitters and reciever are from 2 bikes I had before down sizing to one bike.
When was the 2012 CVO Street Glide the other was on a 2013 Ultra Limited
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »

2015 limited. Transmitters and reciever are from 2 bikes I had before down sizing to one bike.
When was the 2012 CVO Street Glide the other was on a 2013 Ultra Limited

Sorry, my reply was intended to Twolanerider....

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 07:57:32 PM »

For me using the Daymaker knockoff from eBay with the Harley garage door opener was a slightly different process.

1) Take out old headlight
2) Install new headlight
3) Everything worked fine (including GDO).

If it were that easy, I never would have posted here.
Not even the dealership had a clue how to convert my 2012 CVO Ultra to LEDs and still have garage door function. We had to figure it out from the parts catalog, and even that wasn't clear.
I'm guessing you aren't riding a 2012.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »

Just a wild guess... you aren't riding a 2012 CVO.

I installed HD Daymaker headlight in my 2012 SERG.  I had zero issues with the Garage door opener working.  Worked just fine.

I installed a Daymaker headlight and Garge door opener on my 2013 SERK.  I had no issues, was an easy installation.

My wife's 17 Road Glide special came with haymaker headlight, and the garage door opener installation was straight forward, no issues.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 08:36:52 PM »

If it were that easy, I never would have posted here.
Not even the dealership had a clue how to convert my 2012 CVO Ultra to LEDs and still have garage door function. We had to figure it out from the parts catalog, and even that wasn't clear.
I'm guessing you aren't riding a 2012.

Between my own bikes and some of the locals have had hands on maybe a dozen LED installations.  All but two with GDO installed either before or at the same time.  Including at least one that I'm sure was a 2012.  None presented the soap opera you suffered through.  Wish I'd had some advice.  Just never had any problem with what was always a simple straightforward parts swap.

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 08:58:07 PM »

I installed HD Daymaker headlight in my 2012 SERG.  I had zero issues with the Garage door opener working.  Worked just fine.

I installed a Daymaker headlight and Garge door opener on my 2013 SERK.  I had no issues, was an easy installation.

My wife's 17 Road Glide special came with haymaker headlight, and the garage door opener installation was straight forward, no issues.

Well, then I guess I and the local Harley yokels need some lessons in shade-tree mechanics.
You and Twolaner must be brilliant!

Since the OE CVO garage door transmitter is HARD WIRED into the OE dual plug headlamp harness, and as the OE headlamp harness is no longer used when you switch to LEDs, we would LOVE to see HOW you guys manage to marry the two? 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »

Well, then I guess I and the local Harley yokels need some lessons in shade-tree mechanics.
You and Twolaner must be brilliant!

Since the OE CVO garage door transmitter is HARD WIRED into the OE dual plug headlamp harness, and as the OE headlamp harness is no longer used when you switch to LEDs, we would LOVE to see HOW you guys manage to marry the two?

No special marriage of the hardware to the bike and certainly no great shade tree skills.  On bikes (some of the CVO bikes do) intended for GDO it's just plug and play.  Nothing new and nothing added to the mix.  If it's a bike that never had a GDO and I need power it's one simple add-in. 

I don't like to make any piece of hardware non-detachable so I don't just splice in to the headlight signal wires.  Will use a 1-2 plug headlight pigtail.  If you can't find one at a local auto parts store they are a common item used in the nose of Road Glides for years and years. 

Plug one end in to the original headlight socket.  One of the other sockets goes to the headlight.  The other becomes the supply for the GDO hi-lo signal (yellow and white) wires and ground (black).  Pick up power (orange) at the back of the lighter element.  Can't get much easier.  This way the GDO xmitter doesn't have any other device or switch anywhere in the circuit behind it other than the headlight itself.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 24 queries.