Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Garage door opener problem  (Read 4153 times)

ordlord11

• Full CVO Member
  • IYAOYAS I.B.N.F.E Local 8251

• CVO1: 2013 SERK Burgundy Red
    • CVO2: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO3: non CVO 2007 Road King Classic
Re: Garage door opener problem
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 12:45:59 PM »

has anyone had any problems programming the 09 Garage Door Opener?
Rinehart TD, SE AC, SERT Dyno Tune, clearview recurve shield

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »

ima29,

I got mine apart so I can tell you exactly what I've got, which works for my.  There is a 2 wire (blue & black) black connector on the rt side as you're looking at the front of the bike, fairing off.  The blue wire is your power feed.  I ran a wire from there to a 12 or 16 pin connector under the left corner of  my radio.  There are a couple similar connectors there and this one is the most hidden one.  There's nothing back behind it.  To help differentiate, there are 2 orange wires and a yellow wire on one end and a orange and a red wire on the other end.  It's the yellow wire that I removed from the connector and replaced with the feed from the blue wire.  That should do it for you.  Hope this helps!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 09:48:48 PM »

To clarify, I pulled the yellow wire from the front side of the deustch connector and plugged in the feed from the blue wire.  THe rear of the connector goes into the dash switches.

Whne you need to tighten steering bearings, it's not that bad a job.  I just did mine since I last posted.  You can pull the radio- 4 allen screws and several electrical connectors.  The head bearing nut is right there.  There's a couple of locking tabs to keep the nut from turning, only one of mine was used.  I think if I had a thin enough wrench (and it wouldn't have to be that thin), I could do the job without removing the radio.  Just disconnect a few of the radio electric connections to make access easier.  I only had the front fairing off, had dinner, drank a few brews and listened to some classic rock.  It's all back under it's cover and tools put up.  Relatively simple.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »

Never had an issue with mine. Works great, have had my riding buddys amused as to how I can open my garage as I pull up to the house before. Love it!

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »

Thanks for the info Arcticdude. pretty sure that is what I have but perhaps on other side of connector. Good idea to check head bearings. Where they loose and how many miles do you have?
I'm not broke, just badly bent!

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 03:26:42 PM »

Mine were severely loose and had been for some time.  I've got maybe 15k on her.  It was bad enough that using the front brake caused a thump and movement in the handlebars.  I expect that the races didn't get seated when she was put together, so a little riding fully seated the bearings and gave me a ton of play in the bearings.

There's no reason for the garage door opener to be affected by the spot mod.  If you've done what everybody else has done, I'd be looking to see that the opener is connected to where it should be.  That may turn out to be the problem.  We've seen several bikes with the seats hooked to the accesory plug and not the correct seat plug.  Maybe that's what's going on here.

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 04:06:55 PM »

More food for thought. Next time in there I'll check wiring diagram also. It's like it should work connected the way I have it. Interesting about neck bearings as I have been on the Alcan twice now and didn't notice anything going on and they seem to be tight when sitting on jack. I'll have to put a wrench to them to make certain. I have about 18k miles now. Have new concerns now. Have to gusset saddlebag support brackets as they bent forward which is weird. Forward pressure on hitch from trailer. I suppose I'll have to slow to 70mph through the whoops on the Alcan this summer, ha!!!

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »

ima,
You just need to check the "fall away" for your neck bearings.  There should be a slight resistance as you start to turn the bars, but VERY slight.  I think it's like 2 or 3 lbs to start the bars moving when you pull on the end.  You should find the exact measurement in your manual.

That's pretty normal with your fender supports and trailer.  Everytime you have the tongue a little heavy, it's pushing down (and forward) on the fender.  Did the same on my 01.  I just drink my beer faster now, so the cooler gets lighter faster.  Takes the weight off the fender!  Those whoops are killer, aren't they!  Have you gotten her airborne yet?  When we rode it, it was raining so we had to deal with the calcium carbonate (I think) that they use to control dust.  Man, that stuff was better than any grease I know of!!  One time, the rear wheel started sliding to the right and it didn't stop until it went off the edge, where the saddlebag caught it from going any further.  She tried to stop next to me, but slid about 75 feet on down the road.  There was an inch of stuff stuck to her front wheel!  It sure made for "fun" riding!!!  I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:17 PM »

Always a story/ adventure each time you ride the Alcan. My first time having electric brakes last summer and when going through Stone Mountain area we came around a turn doing about 85 and found 4 sheep on the road. No time to do much but hit the brakes and aim for a lamb instead of the 1 ewe. Had lamb butt hair at the end of 1 highway peg. They seemed to be OK as were running like h#**. The brakes worked. Had all 4 locked up with blue smoke trailing. I think we went by the sheep doing 40-50 with the brakes on!!

I have never had an issue with the saddlebag support brackets but this new trailer is heavy. We were on a 8 week trip. Have to say I love the trailer and scooter seems to be fine pulling her. Have cammed for more torque and dropped 2 teeth on the primary. Great trailer pulling power. Stock ultras seem to be amazed as my wife and I with 600lb trailer pull away from them on the hills at or above 70 mph. 

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »

600#????  You'd better lighten it up some. The rear tire won't hold up. I had a friend on his way to the 105th in Milwaukee pulling his trailer (which wasn't as heavy as yours) had the rear tire go at 70 or so. Slapped him down on his right side. Spend like 4 wks in ICU. It wasn't pretty. Tell the wife to stop packing all that chit!! She only needs 2 pair of underwear, 1 hooter holder, 2 t-shirts and a pair of jeans per week. Anything else is overkill!! :cucumber:

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »

ima,

Well I really was off on the head bearing tightening on ours.  I did the original tighten the large nut under the radio and went out for a ride.  Couldn't tell a difference.  So I got looking at the damn thing and turns out there is a nut UNDER the upper triple clamp that is the bearing adjuster nut.  It's a star nut and you are supposed to fashion a "wrench" out of 16" of drill stock to then drive the thing clockwise to tighten or counterclockwise to loosen.  It's fairly easy to break off a tab on the star nut, so you have to be careful with what you use to tighten it.  Of course, it doesn't spin easily!  So you may break off a tab anyway!  If you turn the fork to the right and look up under the upper triple clamp, you'll see the tabs of the star nut slightly sticking out.  You just loosen the large nut under the radio and tighten the star nut, then tighten the large nut and put the fairing back.  Pain in the a$$ easy!

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »

I still have not gotten into the fairing again to check things out. Waiting for some powder coating to get done and hope to get in there on Thursday. I see what you mean about the star nut. Finally opened the service manual and now know what you are talking about. I'll let you know how it goes as I checked the play and needs tightening. Hopefully off to the peninsula this weekend for camping and soccer games if weather permits.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 04:21:25 PM »

The other thing I forgot to mention was when you pull the radio, it's a rather tight fit between the metal chassis brackets.  In sliding it out the first time, I hit the CD cover against the large wiring loom above the radio and knocked the hinge loose.  The hinge does pop back in place, as it's just a straight piece of wire with a spring wrapped around it.  The screws that hold the radio in place are allen, so you need a decent set of ball end allen wrenches, if you don't all ready have a set.  You can do it with a normal set, but the back 2 screws will be a pain.

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 05:57:39 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in last post if you have ever actually read in the service manual on how to check if the steering bearings need adjustment. I got lost when I was reading if I'm to hold to the left or the right and how many times the forks actually swung. Seems kinda hokey to me. Seems like it has changed somewhere along the line. I believe it is hold to the left and let go and they should swing right, left and begin right again. Not enough swings and you are to tight, if they begin to go left again then you are still too loose.  :nixweiss:

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »

That's it exactly.  They should swing right, then back left and then just start right again.  I couldn't see a difference, no matter which way I started, either letting them swing left first or right first.  To tighten, you stick the "tool" up on the left side and push forward and to loosen, you stick the tool up on the right side and push forward.   Since mine were loose, I only stayed on the left side.  You can leave it just a touch loose, because when you tighten the large nut on top, it will tighten ever so slightly.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 21 queries.