Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley GPS working  (Read 6213 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Harley GPS working
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »

I took my 09 USE4 to the dealer today.  They fixed the GPS by installing a new module.  All is good.  At the same time he installed the new Jiffy stand for the lean problem.  All is good.  No new scratches or problems resulting from the work.  All is really good!

If any of you are near Starved Rock HD in IL. I highly recommend "Craig" as one of the best HD tech's I have used.  He is very much on top of the newer technology items.  They do lack a dyno...well they have a dyno but it does not have a drag/brake so it is not fully usable for tuning.  Bummer...this is a guy I would be very confident in letting dyno tune my bike.

Anyway this is the dealer I bought the bike at and I am very happy with the service after the sale.

guppytrash

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
Re: Harley GPS working
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »

Did you have to wait on a "backordered" module?  I've been waiting on one for about 5 weeks now.  Maybe they've shipped them all?
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »

I am not sure when the dealership ordered it as we have been talking about the fix since I bought the bike last summer.

jiml

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:55 PM »

just had the same problem with mine gps would initialize the dealer worked on it for 2 days them hd overnighted one the whole job took 4 days total with a few other problems fixed

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »

I had mine in for the GPS for the 3rd time today.  This was the 2nd new module that they have gotten me.  The first one wouldn't go past a screen that said "Please see dealer".  This one acquires satellites quickly, but it won't go past the screen that says "please insert navigation CD".  It won't recognize that there is a disc in there.  A regular CD works fine for music, but the NAV CD does nothing.  You cannot get to any other NAV screens.  I tried reloading the radio software to see if that might work, but no luck there either.  I now have no GPS at all.  At least with the last one, I had something that at least worked occasionally.  They ordered me a 3rd new module now.  I told them this is the last chance.  If it doesn't work, I want them to take the module, compensate me for it, and I'll buy a Zumo.  This is freakin ridiculous.  I wasted an entire day at the dealer, as well as the shop wasting their time on this.  If they don't get it right with this next one, I don't see any other recourse than to get very demanding about a resolution.

First, has anyone had this latest problem...won't read the NAV CD?  Second, since I have no confidence that they are going to get it correct, is there someone at Harley that I should contact or should I be telling the dealer how I want this resolved and let them make the call to try to get a resolution?

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »

My dealer told me 6 weeks ago the module was on "back order".  It has yet to come in.  Everytime I ask, they tell me no news. Now that I see others are getting modules I'm thinking some BS is going on.  The dealer told me they get their modules from Radio Sound, Inc. so I wrote an email to them asking what was up.  I got a reply saying they don't service the HK radios, that United Radio Service handles them exclusively.  I contacted URS via their website, and have yet to receive a reply. 
I don't know what to do at this point.
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:34 PM »

It's United Radio and you aren't missing anything by not getting yours, since they can't seem to make one that works. It's a big time waste going back and forth and ending up with a non-working unit over and over.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »

My dealer told me 6 weeks ago the module was on "back order".  It has yet to come in.  Everytime I ask, they tell me no news. Now that I see others are getting modules I'm thinking some BS is going on.  The dealer told me they get their modules from Radio Sound, Inc. so I wrote an email to them asking what was up.  I got a reply saying they don't service the HK radios, that United Radio Service handles them exclusively.  I contacted URS via their website, and have yet to receive a reply. 
I don't know what to do at this point.

Call this number...(414) 343-4056 for HD customer service.  I have had very good luck, take your time to explain your problems. 
First I made sure they knew how much I liked the CVO. 
Then expressed how disappointing it is to have a Custom Vehicle that they didn't check the full working operation of the GPS before letting it out of the factory. 
In my experience it is important to let them know you like the product and that you have just a few needs to make it better.  They know they can start with a happy customer and make you even happier. 
If you are wired to the pizzd off position when you call... they may feel that there is not anything they could do to make you a satisfied customer. 
Keep in mind the person on the other end of the phone is not dealer or part that let you down... but they are powerful enough to make sure it gets fixed.

You might be surprised how quickly parts show up at your dealer...it might even give your dealer a different attitude when you show up.
Don't ask me how I know this.  It is all in the way YOU handle it!
fourstar you seem to be pretty patient and I am sure you will have good results.
Best of Luck
gt     
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:06:26 AM by guppytrash »

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »

Thanks for the info gt!  I really do like my CVO but the nav system not working (even though it isn't much of a nav system to start with) and what appears to be a lack of interest by HD in general does irritate me.  I'll make that call...
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »

Call this number...(414) 343-4056 for HD customer service.  I have had very good luck, take your time to explain your problems. 
First I made sure they knew how much I liked the CVO. 
Then expressed how disappointing it is to have a Custom Vehicle that they didn't check the full working operation of the GPS before letting it out of the factory. 
In my experience it is important to let them know you like the product and that you have just a few needs to make it better.  They know they can start with a happy customer and make you even happier. 
If you are wired to the pizzd off position when you call... they may feel that there is not anything they could do to make you a satisfied customer. 
Keep in mind the person on the other end of the phone is not dealer or part that let you down... but they are powerful enough to make sure it gets fixed.

You might be surprised how quickly parts show up at your dealer...it might even give your dealer a different attitude when you show up.
Don't ask me how I know this.  It is all in the way YOU handle it!
fourstar you seem to be pretty patient and I am sure you will have good results.
Best of Luck
gt     

Thanks.  I just called that number and hopefully he will follow through as he told me he would to get this resolved. The guy I spoke with was quite pleasant and seemed to express a genuine concern.  Like Fourstar said, I really like my CVO also, and if they could just get this one bug worked out for me, I think I would be a happy camper.

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »

It's United Radio and you aren't missing anything by not getting yours, since they can't seem to make one that works. It's a big time waste going back and forth and ending up with a non-working unit over and over.

Labastarsmda, we talked before in another thread about this. Picked My bike up from getting my GPS looked at yesterday. I used a different dealer this time, since the last dealer they pulled it in a metal building to check it, even though I told them it won't work at all inside. Anyway, I'll get to the point, there is now a new TSB (technical service bulletin) dated 4/14/09 to replace the whole radio unit. Thought I would let you know, check with your dealer.

Rob

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 11:30:44 AM »

Labastarsmda, we talked before in another thread about this. Picked My bike up from getting my GPS looked at yesterday. I used a different dealer this time, since the last dealer they pulled it in a metal building to check it, even though I told them it won't work at all inside. Anyway, I'll get to the point, there is now a new TSB (technical service bulletin) dated 4/14/09 to replace the whole radio unit. Thought I would let you know, check with your dealer.

Rob
Thanks Rob.  I'll call the dealer right now.

Dave

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 11:35:47 AM »

Rob

I just spoke to the service manager and he said he checked that out yesterday and that mine did not fall within the dates that the bulletin covered.  He told me that he should have a new module for me again on Monday.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Berk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin’ Eagle® Ultra Classic® Electra Glide®, Stardust Silver and Twilight Blue
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »

Can anyone tell me if this gps has voice commands? To tell you the truth I havent tried mine out other than loading the CD

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 11:49:58 AM »

I just spoke to the service manager and he said he checked that out yesterday and that mine did not fall within the dates that the bulletin covered.  He told me that he should have a new module for me again on Monday.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck Dave! Maybe when you get it fixed you can use to find the Berkshires, and come up for a ride.

--Rob
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.