Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Installing HID Lights on a SE Road Glide  (Read 57091 times)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
Re: Installing HID Lights on a SE Road Glide
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2008, 02:49:53 PM »

Well just ordered the Xenonlink kit and looking forward to lighting up the road. Now a couple of questions for you men and women of knowledge.
1) Would driving lights just be overkill with this kit installed?
2) If I was to put driving lights on would I use the european running light wire you mention for power?

Expanding on Greg's comments:

My opinion is that driving lights are way overkill.  The color temp of the lights will not match the HID's either.  You will probably get a lot of people hitting you with hi-beams if you were to do this.  Aux lights also mount in the same position as lowers.  You would not be able to use both at the same time. 

If you want AUX lights, you need to power them off of a switched circuit or they would be on all of the time.  The AUX switch on the forks is the preferred power source for this application.  You can then turn them on/off.  The European output is always on.  It is also designed for low-wattage lights.  Aux lights would pull too many amps to use this connection.  You would need to install a relay, on/off switch and run a power wire to the battery if you were to use the European power connection.   

inthewind729

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2008, 03:34:01 PM »

Thanks fellas. I'll can the driving lights and put the money toward heated riding gear.
Have a great Thanksgiving.
Ride safe to one day ride free

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2008, 05:32:42 PM »

Thanks fellas. I'll can the driving lights and put the money toward heated riding gear.

I second that.  I bought some heated gear and love it.  Best money I've spent.  I've been riding in 30 degree weather and it's warmer than my car!

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »

We've had the bulbs installed on both of the Seegs, and we have a hell of a time with people flashing us everytime we ride at night, I've adjusted them so that there almost shining straight down and people still think we have our high beams on, there SO bright.

you're getting flashed because the factory DOT headlight housings were not designed for HID. the factory housings cannot focus the HID beam properly because they were designed for the halogen bulbs, and as a result you're throwing light everywhere....
to truly take advantage of a HID bulb you need a projector housing, and this bulb swap HID kits are not DOT approved so you can get pulled over and ticketed for using them, plus they will not pass state inspection (in the states that have vehicle inspection).

but, if they cause people to see you better, then F'em..........  LOL :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:41:36 AM by Deuce Bigelow »
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »

you're getting flashed because the factory DOT headlight housings were not designed for HID. the factory housings cannot focus the HID beam properly because they were designed for the halogen bulbs, and as a result you're throwing light everywhere....
to truly take advantage of a HID bulb you need a projector housing, and this bulb swap HID kits are not DOT approved so you can get pulled over and ticketed for using them, plus they will not pass state inspection (in the states that have vehicle inspection).

but, it they cause people to see you better, then F'em..........  LOL :2vrolijk_21:

Most bikers ride during the day than night anyhow.  See and be seen is rule #1 when riding.  HID lights are seen as clear as the sun during the daytime.  At night they are indeed bright, but who really cares?  Flash the freaking drivers back and call it a day.  At least you know they see you, which is much better than being hit by the idiot that doesn't see you.  Just look away form the lights and your night vision will be preserved.   

From an inspection perspective, it is easy as pie to change the lights back to OEM while leaving the HID modules in the faring.  Just disconnect the wires and install the OEM lights prior to inspection.  It is possible to get a ticket, but they are easy to avoid.  Just switch to the non-HID hi-beams when riding in enforcement areas. 

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2008, 06:12:19 AM »

The osram nightbraker brings a good result on my bike so far , you just can replace it easily instead of the stock one and do not have to make other modifications and is permitted ( here in germany ) and cheap ( about 15 Euro ) .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2008, 10:14:31 AM »

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.  What's great about the effort we are all putting into this is that the documentation we are creating will help countless others.  We are not only helping our CVO family today, we are helping Harley owners throughout the world make their rides better for years to come. 

How cool is that?  :orange:

Jim will i need to buy two kits, or an extra bulb for one kit.
 Thank`s for all your help

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2008, 07:30:36 PM »

Jim will i need to buy two kits, or an extra bulb for one kit.
 Thank`s for all your help

You need to order the car kit for the SERG's.  It comes with two bulbs and ballast. 

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2008, 12:13:07 AM »

You need to order the car kit for the SERG's.  It comes with two bulbs and ballast. 

Thanks Jim,  I just thought about that after i made my post. Still, thanks for all the other info.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2008, 08:23:47 AM »

Good information.  That is the way I plan to go once my SERG comes in. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »

i've been fooling around with the hid lights for some time now. i have them on my 08 and 09 tr's.

anyhow from personal experience if you remove the chrome shade on the bulb (the whole thing) the light beam is much more usable.

i have done this on both bikes and tried it all. :drink:

i hope this make sense

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »

i've been fooling around with the hid lights for some time now. i have them on my 08 and 09 tr's.

anyhow from personal experience if you remove the chrome shade on the bulb (the whole thing) the light beam is much more usable.

i have done this on both bikes and tried it all. :drink:

i hope this make sense

TN

:worthless: :worthless:
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2008, 11:30:29 AM »

:worthless: :worthless:

H4/9003 Bi-Xenon is the bulb type I’m referring to. I’ve tried them the way they came, the end shade off, and then the whole shade off. I get the best results with the latter.
This is also on the fltr headlight bucket. The bulb base differs from mfgs too. The shorter the better on the tr for proper headlight adjustment along with the trim piece fitting.
With the shade on I get a cateye effect. Off, the beam is spread evenly the way it should be. And the hi-lo seems to be much more efficient.

I did lots of trial and error.

TN

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »

end off.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2008, 11:32:28 AM »

what works for me.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.