Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Installing HID Lights on a SE Road Glide  (Read 57093 times)

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 07FLHTCU
Re: Installing HID Lights on a SE Road Glide
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2009, 09:24:04 AM »

I planned on installing HID's this weekend and thought... maybe Jim has installed these and put together one of his famous "how to'.  Sure enough....thanks again .  If you are not already a technical writer for some company, you ought to be.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2009, 09:17:54 AM »

The bi-xenon light moves a cover when going to hi-beam, which changes the focus point of the beam

Does anyone have any idea about the longevity of this type of bulb?  I was thinking that I might prefer this bulb but have some doubts about how long it might last with a little cover that is moved every time it's switched from low to high.  Anyone have any ideas on this??
TIA
Steve

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2009, 05:09:07 PM »

I have both HI and Low with the "little window" and they work perfectly. I haven't had any problems and the manufacturer  says these bulbs are supposed to last 3 times longer. Why not take advantage of the technology and go all the way with both. The beams are fantastic, especially High when it's needed! :2vrolijk_21:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2009, 10:27:40 PM »

Think I'll order a set so I can get them on now while the weather is still cold here.
Steve

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »

Did the 6k light kit today, spent about 3 hours on it. First time with the fairing.... Getting it back on is the chits, have patients and work with it, it will go. Gum backs and wire ties will help keep the wire up and prevent pinching them in the areas where the fairing faces match up.

The low beam running lights have the 6k blue tint, the high beams are the traditional white.

Ready for a night ride !

Thanks to Jim for the idea and install tips !
The impossible just takes a little longer

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »

What did this set up run you
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »

I ordered the XenonLink dual HID kit w/halogen high-beams at http://www.xenonlink.com/. The setup cost me about $120. I think the shipping was free. It took about an hour to install, but I tend to take my time with things and contemplate carefully each think I am doing as well as trying multiple options. Most of that hour was removing and re-installing the fairing.

Jim, thanks for the tip! Now, I can see while riding at night! What a great, inexpensive upgrade!

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2009, 08:23:43 PM »

Cheap by my way of thinkin Larry, around $120 delivered. And, they do a priority mail fast ship. From what the other folks have said this really lights up the night. Something I need round here, lotta deer....
The factory lights just didn't do it for me... My night vision isn't the best anyway in my old age  :2vrolijk_21:

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2009, 06:04:07 AM »

I agree, the reason I ask is I just got a quote for over 400 for a digital hi/low set up.
I likes 120
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »

Cheap by my way of thinkin Larry, around $120 delivered. And, they do a priority mail fast ship. From what the other folks have said this really lights up the night. Something I need round here, lotta deer....
The factory lights just didn't do it for me... My night vision isn't the best anyway in my old age  :2vrolijk_21:

Iglide,  when did you get yours?  I just checked their site and the automotive kit with two lights is $149.99.  Maybe they just recently raised their price.  That would figure since I didn't get mine ordered yet.
Steve

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2009, 09:30:08 AM »

I also paid $149. That is the price for the HID high and low. The HID low and halogen high is $119.99 http://www.xenonlink.com/9004+Bi-Xenon+HID+Kit.htm :2vrolijk_21:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2009, 11:00:30 AM »

That explains it.  I didn't look at the one with the halogen bulb.
Steve

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »

The $120 Kit uses a High Intensity Discharge Lamp for low beam and a Halogen Lamp for high beam. It got cold here last eve and I didn't have an opportunity to check it out after dark. Waiting for consistent riding weather, is starting to give heartburn.

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 07FLHTCU
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »

I did the 9003 Low HID/High Halogen several weeks ago.  Has anyone experienced any problems with theirs?    This past week, each time I start the bike (cold start) the left bulb does not fire.  If I hit the high beam and switch back the HID lights.  After an email to xenon it was clear as mud (could be this or could be that).  So before I remove the fairing one more time and either ship back the bulb, the ballast , or both.....has anyone had this type of problem?

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »

Too bad it's not easy to switch bulbs. However; my experience with HID systems tell me that the module you mounted inside the fairing likely consits of a ballast (xfmr), igniter, and possibly a capacitor. I would suspect igniter or bulb first, capacitor (if one is a component) next. Sorry, sounds as though it just can't get the boost, to start. I doubt it will get any better. Try switching bulbs first.

I would have them send me a new ballast and bulb. Then after you change both out, send their faulty components back. That way you don't have it tore apart for days.    :-\

Industrial HID lighting will generally generate symptoms such as these after a couple years of operations. Installing the wrong type of bulb (mercury vapor, metal, sodium vapor) etc.. will also damage the igniting components, many of the bases are interchangeable. I wouldn't think this would be the case, as what was sent to you was a kit.

Of course this all assumes, your connections are good, and there isn't a wire pinched in the fariing housing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 04:35:18 PM by Iglide »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.