Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Talk to your dealer about this new service bulit. on tires  (Read 6312 times)

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Talk to your dealer about this new service bulit. on tires
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 10:11:03 PM »

I treat tires with the utmost respect-if there is something wrong with it-it gets changed.
The original Dunlops on my 2009 SERG cupped out at 14000 kms (9000 miles) both front and rear showed this problem.
Instead of replacing with the same make I changed to the Avon Cobra's.  To date I have about 6000 KM (4000 miles) and with the same pressure (40 psi) as before the tires still look good but in all fairness the Dunlops looked okay at this mileage too.
Softer composition gives better grip but less life-so what ;D
Better pricing and availability on the Avons than the OEM protected Dunlops so I will probably continue with them.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »

I treat tires with the utmost respect-if there is something wrong with it-it gets changed.
The original Dunlops on my 2009 SERG cupped out at 14000 kms (9000 miles) both front and rear showed this problem.
Instead of replacing with the same make I changed to the Avon Cobra's.  To date I have about 6000 KM (4000 miles) and with the same pressure (40 psi) as before the tires still look good but in all fairness the Dunlops looked okay at this mileage too.
Softer composition gives better grip but less life-so what ;D
Better pricing and availability on the Avons than the OEM protected Dunlops so I will probably continue with them.

I always thought 36 psi was the correct pressure --front and rear. I won'thelp the cupping issue either though. That's on Dunlop....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »

I always thought 36 psi was the correct pressure --front and rear. I won'thelp the cupping issue either though. That's on Dunlop....

H-D specifies 36 psi front, and 36/40 psi in the rear depending on solo, passenger, etc..  And you are correct, jacking up the pressure isn't going to fix a design/manufacturing flaw in the Dunlop tires.  And furthermore, this entire cupping thing isn't just about the tread pattern, there is much more to it than that.  Don't hold your breath waiting for Dunlop or H-D to tell us the truth, however.  Has anyone wondered why the rear tires, which have always had the same tread direction, also cup on more than a few bikes?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 25 queries.