Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Riding the Ozarks Twisties down to Mountain View, Arkansas  (Read 12978 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Riding the Ozarks Twisties down to Mountain View, Arkansas
« on: September 26, 2015, 08:29:11 PM »

Patty and I did a single overnighter from our place down to Mountain View, Arkansas this past Thursday and Friday.  The road conditions and temps were really great for the outing, and the bike ran like a fine-tuned Swiss watch.
Mountain Home is something like the Bluegrass/Gospel capital of Arkansas, and has some interesting shops around the town square, and it's really hard not to find a great biking road anywhere near there.  We had one of the best breakfasts we've ever had at the Rainbow Cafe just down from the county courthouse.  Saw a bunch of CVO's Thursday night who must've been heading north to Bikes, Blues, and BBQ in Fayetteville.
Highway 341 is a really awesome ride with about 1 hour of twisties, and...awe heck, it's ALL nothing but twisties and elevation changes down there, and we're blessed to live so close to such fine scenery!
We put about 300 miles on her in the one day we were gone, and now we're plotting our next outing, maybe to Memphis this time.
See the next post down for a couple of pics.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

Re: Riding the Ozarks Twisties down to Mountain View, Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »

This was a neat pull-off northeast of Mountain View along a very twisty section of Hwy 9 between the White River and the town of Melbourne. 
There are some very good riding roads in the southeastern Ozarks, folks!
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 01:08:08 AM »

There are pretty rides all over that area.  So glad you got to take advantage of what's been the continued great weather.  Great rides are just like the instructions on shampoo bottles.  Rinse and repeat  :2vrolijk_21: .

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:00:37 AM »

Looks good buddy, we like riding that area also. In fact we have a group trip that is supposed to stay in Mountain View on the way to Eureka Springs next year.  :bananarock:
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »

I can tell you guys that after 25+ years of living in a place where we always dreamed of being closer to mountains and clear streams and twisty roads, that there were many times during that Mountain View trip when I just shook my head at the scenery and the curves and thanked God that I lived up here now. 
Over the years I've had the blessing of living in or traveling thru some of the most beautiful areas and riding roads this country has to offer, areas that in many ways make the Ozark Mountains pale in comparison, but to have these Ozarks in my backyard is still an eye-opener for me and a very pleasant one at that.
Appreciate your comments, fellows!
Harry

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »

We take a ride up that way for a few days each year during the fall when the leaves are changing colors. Beautiful Country. Couple of years ago we stopped in Cotter and did a little trout fishing.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 06:39:29 PM »

We take a ride up that way for a few days each year during the fall when the leaves are changing colors. Beautiful Country. Couple of years ago we stopped in Cotter and did a little trout fishing.

Cotter is one of those cool little towns you might just see in a romantic movie one day.  The setting is right, and the scenery is awesome.  They've done an awesome job of paving the streets and many of the homeowners have a tremendous amount of pride in their homes and yards and many are just very quaint.  And the old 62B bridge across the White River into town is a must see for anyone in this area.  Here's a photo I took of that bridge some time ago from the little town park below it.
Harry

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 07:50:27 PM »

:-\
I agree it's beautiful country.  Don't know if you have ever been to or thru........Springdale.  My folks grew up on farms in rural Mississippi,  but they both left there as adults and I grew up as their kid in Omaha,  Nb.  So every year,  my Dads two weeks of vacation were to take us down to see family in Miss. and the trip always took us thru the Ozarks...(This was way before Interstate highways).......Our first night always ended up in Springdale at a little (Mom and Pop Motel) immediately next door to the AQ Chicken House. :apple:  I'm talking about trips in the 50's and early 60's.

Most every year,  I had their "gizzard special" which was one half a chicken plus 6 gizzards,  french fries honey and rolls.

Damn,  I miss that place,  no idea if it is still there..........but if so,  you should check it out. :2vrolijk_21: 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 08:17:19 PM »

I agree it's beautiful country.  Don't know if you have ever been to or thru........Springdale. 

Still there.  In Springdale and Rogers  :2vrolijk_21: .

http://www.aqchickenhouse.net/

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »

Still there.  In Springdale and Rogers  :2vrolijk_21: .

http://www.aqchickenhouse.net/

I'm saving that link!  That looks like some really good grub!
We're likely to head back to Eureka Springs and Fayetteville/Rogers again this coming Wed/Thurs to just do the roads again and visit Pig Trail HD in Rogers and the Cabelas in Springdale.  Coming from where we live, that's the BIG city to us!
Harry

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 08:35:37 PM »

:-\
I agree it's beautiful country.  Don't know if you have ever been to or thru........Springdale.  My folks grew up on farms in rural Mississippi,  but they both left there as adults and I grew up as their kid in Omaha,  Nb.  So every year,  my Dads two weeks of vacation were to take us down to see family in Miss. and the trip always took us thru the Ozarks...(This was way before Interstate highways).......Our first night always ended up in Springdale at a little (Mom and Pop Motel) immediately next door to the AQ Chicken House. :apple:  I'm talking about trips in the 50's and early 60's.

Most every year,  I had their "gizzard special" which was one half a chicken plus 6 gizzards,  french fries honey and rolls.

Damn,  I miss that place,  no idea if it is still there..........but if so,  you should check it out. :2vrolijk_21:

Hey, Moscooter...check this out!
Harry

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 10:54:14 PM »

I'm saving that link!  That looks like some really good grub!
We're likely to head back to Eureka Springs and Fayetteville/Rogers again this coming Wed/Thurs to just do the roads again and visit Pig Trail HD in Rogers and the Cabelas in Springdale.  Coming from where we live, that's the BIG city to us!

My mouth has been watering since I saw that too.  Last time I ate there has to be a couple years ago.  I won't have a chance Saturday as have something with the Greyhound rescue group.  Of course all my dogs know about that is it's a road trip (which they love) to see their dog friends (which they love).  But I could eat there Sunday.  I could, I could, I really could.  Of course the hard part is always wondering which bike to take.....

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 11:04:44 PM »

My mouth has been watering since I saw that too.  Last time I ate there has to be a couple years ago.  I won't have a chance Saturday as have something with the Greyhound rescue group.  Of course all my dogs know about that is it's a road trip (which they love) to see their dog friends (which they love).  But I could eat there Sunday.  I could, I could, I really could.  Of course the hard part is always wondering which bike to take.....

My sister and her daughter both got miniature Greyhounds from a rescue group years ago and really loved those dogs!

I read the menu to my wife earlier, and that about sealed our fate.  We're eating there our next trip thata way!

And hey, the way I see it Don, it ain't which bike to take that's the problem...it's which pants to wear that allow for the most comfort on the way home after pigging out.  I sure do love me some good fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy!   
Harry

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »

Dad gum, I think I've highjacked my own thread with all this talk about down home cooking!     :oops:
Harry

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »

Hey, Moscooter...check this out!

:2vrolijk_21:
Great to see they are still going.  If I were any where close,  I'd for sure stop there. :apple:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 22 queries.