Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VT Route 100 and NY Hwy 30  (Read 964 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
VT Route 100 and NY Hwy 30
« on: July 06, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »

Anne and I decided to hop on the bike and take a 2-day trip somewhere with no reservations and no set plans.  As the weekend got closer, the weather was looking wet to the south and dry to the north so north it was.  We left at about 7:30 on Friday and it was raining.  We headed up I-495 to Rt-2 west and into Greenfield where the rain stopped.  We continued west on Rt-2 through the Mohawk Trail past the big hairpin turn into North Adams.  At that point we headed north on Rt8 which at the VT border turned into VT Route 100.

We continued on 100 and decided to stay on it as far as we could.  Riding through some really nice VT towns celebrating the Fourth which we were lucky enough to avoid any long parade delays.  We went past many of the larger ski areas and just kept going.  Passing through Granville Gulf we did not stop at the waterfall as it was packed but it is a very scenic 6 mile section of 100.  We kept going on 100 past Ben & Jerry's and through Stowe  Once past here, the population decreased and we were pretty much on the roads alone.  We kept going until we saw the sign that said that 100 ends.  So we just did the entire length of 100 in VT.  Since we didn't have our Passports, we turned west on 105 then to hwy 78 and across Lake Champlain.  As the day was fading, we decided to drop down to Plattsburgh to find some Lodging and Dinner.

In the morning, we headed out Hwy 3 to Hwy 374.  There we passed the Clinton Correctional (Maximum Security)  Facility with its high walls right up against the road...I would not want to be in there!  From the we cruised down to Lake Placid for a stop at the HD shop for a shirt.  After leaving the area we headed to Saranac Lake then caught Hwy 30 as we approached Tupper Lake.  We stayed on Hwy 30 past Long Lake (Howie's GTG) and just kept going south.  We passed Indian Lake and Lake Pleasant down to Great Sacandaga lake.  Wow this area has a ton of Lakes!  From the we stoppe in Mayfield for a late lunch at Pour Jim's.  What a great place, great food, great owner who also is a rider!  Highly recommend a stop here!

After lunch, we caught Hwy 29 to Saratoga Springs and kept going east.  I set the GPS to take us home but to avoid interstates.  We took some back roads into VT and through Bennington where we caught VT 9 taking it east through Wilmington, which we passed through yeaterday on Rt 100.  We took it into Brattleboro where we decided to speed our return home.  So we hopped on I-91 south to RT 2 where we then retraced our ride the day before from Greenfield.

All in all it was a great ride through some nice country roads.

/Bill

2 Days
956.0 Miles
20:21 Moving Time

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:25:04 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
Re: VT Route 100 and NY Hwy 30
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »

Wow! That's all my old stomping grounds... I used to fish and boat on the Sacandaga and lived in both Plattsburgh and Mayfield. It is pretty country but a very short riding season. The fall is spectacular there. Thanks for the mental scooter ride. I know the routes well.  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.