Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Author Topic: From Coastal Georgia to Coastal Alaska  (Read 14843 times)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
From Coastal Georgia to Coastal Alaska
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:55:51 AM »

Well were do I begin…I was supposed to attend the North California Tour this year however matters at work prevented me from attending and I know these folks will have a great time.  After getting over my bitterness of this position I was presented an opportunity by friend to join him in a journey to Alaska.  After reviewing my schedule I was able to determine that this would be a go and perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

Our course would take us through some very nice terrain and this was very attractive to me.  I started in Savannah, GA and my first real stop to smell the roses was in Sturgis, South Dakota for Bike Week!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:42:25 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
Re: From Coastal Georgia to Coastal Alaska
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:56:29 AM »

Knowing it would be crowed and the road we needed to travel we did not spend a large amount of time in the area.  Especially sine we had planned to return there after the crowd had declined!  While there however we did journey towards Devil’s Tower and relaxed in the area for a while.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:12:32 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 07:57:08 AM »

From there we journeyed onto Billings, Montana which is a beautiful state and I highly recommend with a large number of areas to visit!  The road we traveled where two lane and given the area you could go FULL SPEED ahead.  One of our gang rode a new Kawasaki Concourse 1400…0 – 180mph in nothing flat…I thought I was standing still!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:07:05 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:58:02 AM »

From here we traveled to Glacier National Park in Montana and the gateway to Canada for us.  There were some great views, good roads, plenty of wildlife and what an adventure.  From Glacier National Park we headed towards Kalispell, Montana for the night.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:16:47 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 07:58:42 AM »

Now it was time to prepare to enter into Canada and challenge their terrain.  After entering into the Port of Roosvile we headed towards Calgary, Alberta.  Arriving late into the night, as was the case on many days, we headed next door to “The Pub”.  A great steak house and full of beautiful ladies…DAMN!  This is were I learned I could live sober in Canada…a twelve pack of beer was $28!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:27:29 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »

After leaving Calgary we traveled towards Banff, Alberta and Lake Louise and all of that area….VERY NICE and it has been years since I had been there.  You could spend days on any location but we only had three weeks! 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:23:24 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:00:13 AM »

We headed up towards Jasper and crashed here in Hinton after seeing an abundance of wildlife and beautiful surroundings.

From here we headed towards mile marker zero of the Alaskan Highway…Dawson Creek, British Columbia. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:32:14 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 08:00:49 AM »

This is the beginning of the over 1,500 miles of the Alaskan Highway which was built in one year by thousands of people!  Here I had another eye opening experience of how expensive it was to drink in Canada!  The locals stated it was cheaper to buy drugs than alcohol!  Of course that was not an option so it was another $28 twelve pack of beer!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:35:36 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 08:01:26 AM »

It was morning and it was time to ahead towards our next stop Watson Lake, Yukon!  Along the way within 20 feet of the road were buffalo, moose, elk, bear, deer, antelope, wolf, wild horses, mountain men and so much more. 

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:17:39 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 08:02:07 AM »

It is here that you can experience the Northern Lights which will begin in several months.  Amazing if you have not seen it!  It was here that I met a tracker and he shared his experiences regarding grizzly bear and others.  What a conversation!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:21:26 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:02:50 AM »

From here we headed towards Alaska full speed ahead!  The highway was better than I expected but you could see how it could be difficult.  Cruisers often had small gas cans attached to their bikes.  Gas was as high as $6.59 a gallon.  It was not uncommon to have gas stations without fuel and food/drinks or closed before 9am or after 5pm.  Bottom line…fill up every 100 miles on a cruiser! 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:47:29 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:03:38 AM »

In addition it was not uncommon not to see any other travelers for 45 minutes or more…trucks with BIG GRILLS to prevent damage to trucks when hitting large wildlife.  Plenty of that here and you can reach out and touch it!

Since the Kawasaki Concourse needed tires we traveled to White Horse for a short visit.  The dealer was great there as they had the tires on after a short lunch.  It was now time to make our way to Alaska.  As we arrived to Alaska we were in the clouds and the moisture was high and we could not see 30ft in front of us.  Plenty of tour buses, hikers, bikers, animals to watch out for and difficult to see in these conditions.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:54:59 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »

We entered into Skagway, AL mostly a tourist and port town for cruise ships and with only a few full-time residents.  The town is open mostly April through September and over wise plenty much shut down outside this time frame.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:02:27 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 08:04:57 AM »

After spending the afternoon and night there it was time to see some more of Alaska.  We journeyed a few more miles into the state and time was passing us by quickly.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:06:13 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 08:05:33 AM »

Sadly enough we could not spend any additional time here as we needed to begin our journey back into Canada.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:09:25 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 08:06:10 AM »

In entering into Canada we rejoined the Alaskan Highway for some more great adventures.  This time a different view of the area, plenty more wildlife and some of the same challenges going up.  This time it was even more interesting.  One of our pack became troubled and decided not to take advantage of a fuel stop.  Instead he continued down the road thinking he could make the short distance to the hotel and meet is there.  While we fueled up we broke up the pack and everyone rode separately for the most part.  It was to be a short 30 mile run and I was last in the pack.  Mean while our troubled pack member was through to be miles ahead of us.  As I was traveling down the road in a distance to my right I saw a yellow and black jacket jumping up and down.  It was our upset pack member and he had run out of gas in the middle OF NO WHERE!  I was lucky to see him given how far off he was.  Meantime the other pack members where at the hotel and wondering what happened.  This was a luck event for him because I normally do not see at that level and it was late.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:15:40 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 08:06:55 AM »

On the final night of the Alaskan Highway journey we ended up were we begin in Dawson’s Creek.  Another $28 later all was good in the world and I just knew I could solve my substance addiction if I stayed later!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:25:23 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 08:07:35 AM »

We started out from Dawson’s Creek on a short ride to Edmonton, BC at least we thought it would be one.  We arrived in Edmonton around 5pm with no hotel reservations.  There were several events in town and 45 minutes later we located a hotel.  Little did we know how difficult it would be to find it.  Long story short…remember our upset pack member…after several sets of bad locations we arrived at our hotel at 10:15pm.  At this point there was a lot happening…bad riding decisions, tried riders, tempers high and restaurants closing.  I made a beeline down to the liquor store for some more $28 beer since it was closing in 15 minutes.  We called a local pizza joint and that was the meal for the night.  After what was going to be a short day we decided to sleep in and get some rest.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:18:10 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 08:08:16 AM »

After some nice rest we headed south towards the USA/Canadian boarder taking our time and knowing we WOULD stop early day.  We ended up in Lethbridge, BC and stayed near the railroad bridge.  We enjoyed a local pub and some funny guest.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:30:54 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 08:09:04 AM »

That morning it was time to make it back to the USA and we began our journey towards the boarder.  We make one more stop to relieve ourselves of any Canadian currency along with one other matter.  Then to the USA boarder…

Remember our upset pack member?  Will it would be here that he made his best attempt to get me back.  We wanted to stop and take some pictures of a local town in Montana that had the same name as his hometown.  We stated that would be fine and he could catch up with us.  We told him to enter the boarder first and we would travel slow giving him time.

He went to the boarder guard first and we were several cars behind him with me being the last of the pack.  As he entered he pulled over for a while and we thought he was going to head down the road.  Everyone else made it through without event and then I arrived.

I shut off the engine and the conversation went something like this as the other members waited for me in a parking lot.  I handed the boarder guard my passport and he looks at it typing in information.

Guard:  “So what do you do for a living?” 
Jock:  “I …” 
Guard:  “Where were you born?” 
Jock: “…” 
Guard:  “How long were you in Canada?” 
Jock: “…” 
Guard:  “Is your given name …” 
Jock” Yes”
Guard:  “I am afraid we have a problem” 
Jock:  “What would that be?”
Guard:  “We are going to have to detain you.”
Jock:  “For what?”
Guard:  “We have a warrant for your arrest!”
Jock:  “That can’t be!”

In the meantime Jock thinks and recalls his son’s name is the same as his…could it be for him!!!  Holy CHIT!

Guard: “Is your birthday…”
Jock:  “Yes but that still can not be”

It is now that Jock thinks there is something up!

Guard:  He smiles…”Hey the guy in the front told me to hassle you and say you were arrested”

After I pull over to the parking lot the other riders stated that the guard was asking how I was and how to pronounce the last name.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:49:17 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 08:09:53 AM »

Mean while we stopped for lunch and thought our now prankster would arrive since we were in the town he was visiting.  At our stop I looked at my chain as I had been during the trip to make adjustments and look for wear.  It was here that we determined it was time for a new chain.

I reviewed the options and low and behold there was a H-D/Kawasaki Dealer in Butte, Montana.  I quickly traveled I-15 which by the way was great between Great Falls and Butte to the dealer.  It was Monday and time was getting short.  The dealer did have a chain but no sprockets and no one to put it on.  The Service Department closed at 3pm on Monday.

After talking to the dealer about his arrangement, they could only sell ATVs and dirt bikes from Kawasaki.  They informed me of a dealer in Bozeman so I was going to try to make it there.  The chain was in BAD shape and other pack members should clear not knowing what would happen.  Mean while our upset pack member was still no where to be found.

We arrived in Bozeman and the bike made it would event however I knew I was lucky and could not run any more on this chain.  It would be here that I would make our already upset pack member even more upset after a discussion upon politics.  Bottom Line – My position is either you are part of the problem or part of the solution…Some one is neutral and they do not participate in the election they forgive any entitlement to discuss their options.  This person was not going to vote and this upset me.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:53:12 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 08:10:31 AM »

It was time to head back to the Sturgis area and enjoy some of the area that was more crowed when we left.  Mt. Rushmore

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:53:17 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 08:10:59 AM »

Crazy Horse

What it will look like when it is finished...

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:39:50 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 08:11:47 AM »

Wall Drug

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:42:33 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 08:12:47 AM »

Bad Lands

And so much more…Deadwood, Black Hills and it goes on and on…
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:01:42 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 08:13:22 AM »

We would end up in Pierre South Dakota and enjoy an excellent steak at Mad Mary’s Steakhouse and a Beach Bum beer!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:42:48 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 08:13:53 AM »

From here it would be a mad dash back to Knoxville, TN where I hooked up with my riding partners.  It would be here that we would part ways and head back to the reality of our world.  One of the riders impressed me having never ridden more than 90 miles in a day and never a night over trip much less than this one.  She rode on the back of the Kawasaki Concourse in style and never complained.  Every one thought she was going to be on a plane back home but that was not the case.  Three of our riders were home but my now less than upset pack member and I had more to go…him less than 100 miles…me over 475 more miles.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:56:28 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 08:14:27 AM »

Time to go and go I did.  The bike I rode a Kawasaki KLR 650 Dual Purpose Bike had been put to the test.  A single cylinder with a top speed of 85-90 miles per hour had been ridden very hard and long at full speed ahead.   At 6pm on Friday traveling 88mph down I-26 through Ashville, NC while traveling with my MP3 player very loud I hear a faint POP!  At this point the throttle was gone and I knew the replacement chain had popped!  Being the in left hand lane with cars to the right and behind me I knew I had to do something quick or I was in real trouble.  After pulling in the clutch, slamming on brakes, making a quick right after four cars I made it to the side of the interstate.  The chain had popped and jammed in the front sprocket.  At first glance it appeared to crack the engine case and the rear sprocket barely missed having the chain wrap around it.

A tow truck and $120 later I was back in Ashville, NC at 7:15pm at MR Motorcycle Dealership.  They placed the bike in the shop and stated we could look at it in the morning.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:00:47 AM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 08:14:58 AM »

That evening I reviewed some options in my head with one of them being having the bike taken to my friend that I rode with on this ride.  His is a tech and owns one of these bikes and has his shop in Knoxville, TN.  After a discussion with his father I decided that this was the path to take and they meet me in Ashville on Saturday morning. 

In the meantime I needed a ride home given it would take some parts being ordered for the bike.  My spouse made the trip from Savannah to Ashville and we returned home that day.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:14:07 PM by Jock »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 08:15:39 AM »

The ride was an amazing event and there is some much detail that I can not begin to express it here.  All I can say is you must experience and live it for yourself.  All the pictures and comments in the world can not express how you feel and experience it.

For many the fact that I rode it on a KLR 650 is amazing itself but I am here to tell you it was a perfect set up and great for that terrain.  In all it was over 9,500 miles and we had a blast!

Of course you know that there are plenty of photos and I will attempt to post some of them in the gallery in the coming weeks.

As one of the cruise lines puts it…”Just get out there” and I highly recommend it!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:02:22 AM by Jock »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 08:31:45 AM »

You dirty rotten SOB!!!   <- Green with ENVY!

BTW...all I see is RED Squares...you made up the Alaska thing didn't you...and were in RED SQUARE in Russia....

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 08:36:25 AM »

BTW...all I see is RED Squares...you made up the Alaska thing didn't you...and were in RED SQUARE in Russia....

Jock thanks for the report. Been to Skagway and other areas myself. Really nothing like it.

I had the same problem with the red squares Bill. Had to "right click" on the square to open the pic  :nixweiss:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 08:40:54 AM »

At times I see them too...I will look at my hosting site and perhaps change them to see if that makes a difference.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:42 AM »

Great pictures Jock  :2vrolijk_21:    "RED ON "    ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Limelight

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »

Very jealous here......an Alaska trip is in my future too.....

hogasm

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »

My red dots turn into larger red dots when "right clicked" on :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »

I right click and I can copy or save but I'm not able to open a picture. :nixweiss:  I'm feeling slighted here Jock :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »

I see the photos on the CPU I utilized to post the threads...However when I utilize my other CPU I see the red squares.  Not certain what is occurring here.  I know the files where too big to upload unto this server.  Perhaps that is part of the issue.

I will attempt to utilize another hosting site perhaps.

:nixweiss:

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 08:24:42 PM »

It's a pain in the butt, but if you right click on the red square, get properties, copy the URL, open a new window in your browser, paste the URL in the new window and you can view them one by one.  Like I said, it's a pain, but Jock has some great pictures and it is worth the effort.

Craig

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »

Not only am I serkless, I am a buttonless apple head!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »

It's a pain in the butt, but if you right click on the red square, get properties, copy the URL, open a new window in your browser, paste the URL in the new window and you can view them one by one.  Like I said, it's a pain, but Jock has some great pictures and it is worth the effort.

Craig

Working on that as I type...Hope it corrects the issue...

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 08:38:09 PM »

Just started using my new MacBook Air and opened the pics with a right click so to speak  ;)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »

I REALLY hate you now that I can see the pics...

Tentatively planning Alaska in 2010...now, even more juiced to do it!

If there was only a way to get to Canada on a rental from Alaska...Whitehorse in Yukon and Yellowknife in the Northwest Territory, ...I know there are HD shops there!
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »

Craig

Hmm, doesn't work for me. I get a Windows Error saying "Can't find that URL try respelling" or something like that. All I did was copy and paste the URL from Properties in another open window. Why can't we see them here? :confused5: ??? :(

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 09:32:02 PM »

Hmm, doesn't work for me. I get a Windows Error saying "Can't find that URL try respelling" or something like that. All I did was copy and paste the URL from Properties in another open window. Why can't we see them here? :confused5: ??? :(

Hoist! 8)

I am about 45% the way on resizing the posts perhaps that is the issue?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 09:34:12 PM »

I am about 45% the way on resizing the posts perhaps that is the issue?

Thanks Jock! can't wait to see em! That's a trip of my dreams, which will occur one day! Disappear in Alaska and Northern Canada for a summer!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »

Great pictures and story Jock.  Since you own several bikes what was the selection process in choosing the Kawasaki?  Were there areas unsuitable for a FD?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

hogasm

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2008, 07:29:21 PM »

My red dots turn into larger red dots when "right clicked" on :2vrolijk_21:

No more red dots.......just really nice pictures :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Jock

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2008, 08:04:06 PM »

Great pictures and story Jock.  Since you own several bikes what was the selection process in choosing the Kawasaki?  Were there areas unsuitable for a FD?

Several...

larger gas tank
road terrain
no worries regarding damaging the bike
different challenge

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2008, 08:06:20 PM »

No more red dots.......just really nice pictures :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Jock

Thanks

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »

Yes the do exist...I asked about Bullwinkle too!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2008, 08:19:58 PM »

Banff, B.C.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »

Lake Louise, B.C.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »

your retracing some of our route from last summer. we really enjoyed the time in BC
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »

Banff National Park

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:55 PM »

The Alaskan Train on the Canadian side of the boarder

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »

This one is for all of the Fire Fighters on the site

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 08:37:14 PM »

Not only can you get an adult beverage but check out the light light on the second floor...get my drift?

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »

Need the t-shirt...they got 'um

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »

Not only can you get an adult beverage but check out the light light on the second floor...get my drift?

Is that like the light at Krispe Kreme.... Hot and Fresh?? ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »

In the clouds

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »

Alaskan Street Car

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »

Nice pictures mi amigo Jock.....You have a blast of adventure.....the trip to Alaska is in my plan some day.....glad that you are back and safe........see you in MV  :2vrolijk_21:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »

There are two sides to every story

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2008, 08:56:54 PM »

Need a place to stay in Sturgis...take your pick!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »

I met a new CVO friend at Devil's Tower

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »

In the event I would like to move to the area perhaps I could buy this business and be good to go...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2008, 09:08:06 PM »

One of many waterfalls...this one is at Glacier National Park

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »

Glacier National Park...Home of the Weepin' Rock

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2008, 09:16:18 PM »

Now you know why they call them the Badlands...imagine prospecting this area 100's of years ago!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2008, 09:19:44 PM »

Glacier National Park Transportation

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »

Wildlife so close you could touch it

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2008, 09:25:07 PM »

Here is where they are when they are not in the parking lot

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »

You may have heard of the "Bridge to Nowhere"...allow me to introduce you to the "Stop light for no one"

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »

One of the cool views you get when it does not get dark until 11pm in August

Sean M Cary

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »

well said!

Sean M Cary

« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2008, 09:38:36 PM »

Amazing trip Jock!  Sounds like you had an amazing time.

KLR's are a hell of a bike.

Sean

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »

Another one

Sean M Cary

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2008, 09:40:31 PM »

Time to go and go I did.  The bike I rode a Kawasaki KLR 650 Dual Purpose Bike had been put to the test.  A single cylinder with a top speed of 85-90 miles per hour had been ridden very hard and long at full speed ahead.   At 6pm on Friday traveling 88mph down I-26 through Ashville, NC while traveling with my MP3 player very loud I hear a faint POP!  At this point the throttle was gone and I knew the replacement chain had popped!  Being the in left hand lane with cars to the right and behind me I knew I had to do something quick or I was in real trouble.  After pulling in the clutch, slamming on brakes, making a quick right after four cars I made it to the side of the interstate.  The chain had popped and jammed in the front sprocket.  At first glance it appeared to crack the engine case and the rear sprocket barely missed having the chain wrap around it.

A tow truck and $120 later I was back in Ashville, NC at 7:15pm at MR Motorcycle Dealership.  They placed the bike in the shop and stated we could look at it in the morning.

I might have missed it...been through all the pics/narratives twice.  What was the damage?

Sean

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »

Technology has hit the Alaskan Highway too

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2008, 09:41:43 PM »

Another cool view

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2008, 09:43:48 PM »

Which way to go...North or South?

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2008, 09:47:24 PM »

Signs, Signs every where the Signs...Watsons Lake

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2008, 09:49:32 PM »

Our view entering into Alaska

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »

It's like riding through Lion Country Safari...wildlife every where

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »

Are you looking for beaver...

I am talking about plenty of beaver...

I am speaking of big beaver...

Hey it's a public forum what did you expect!

;)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2008, 09:59:10 PM »

If a bear....in the woods...

I did not ask nor check it out to verify

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »

And why shouldn't he be included?

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2008, 10:02:33 PM »

A different windmill

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2008, 10:04:38 PM »

I can not express how many times we had these opportunities..herds of them

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »

Getting Out Of The Hole

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2008, 10:13:08 PM »

Glacier National Park

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2008, 10:15:48 PM »

Team Alaska

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »

I'm the King of the World...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »

By now you get it...sorry...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »

your retracing some of our route from last summer. we really enjoyed the time in BC

I thought that was the case...I see why you enjoyed it so much...it has been a long time since I have been in this area.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2008, 10:27:14 PM »

Nice pictures mi amigo Jock.....You have a blast of adventure.....the trip to Alaska is in my plan some day.....glad that you are back and safe........see you in MV  :2vrolijk_21:

For a gent that has been as many places as you have you are blessed and I hope to travel as you did...as to MV you bet you will and I look forward to it!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2008, 10:29:05 PM »

Is that like the light at Krispe Kreme.... Hot and Fresh?? ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Good Question...maybe I am falling down on my job?

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »

I REALLY hate you now that I can see the pics...

Tentatively planning Alaska in 2010...now, even more juiced to do it!

If there was only a way to get to Canada on a rental from Alaska...Whitehorse in Yukon and Yellowknife in the Northwest Territory, ...I know there are HD shops there!

Last time I checked the number of states that you have NOT ridden in is the amount I HAVE ridden in.

Now who is green with envy!

Go for it and ENJOY!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:36 PM »

Amazing trip Jock!  Sounds like you had an amazing time.

KLR's are a hell of a bike.

Sean

It has worked for me and I really enjoy the bike.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2008, 10:41:03 PM »

I might have missed it...been through all the pics/narratives twice.  What was the damage?

Sean

Master link broke on the chain

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2008, 12:36:43 AM »

Holy crap Jock! That was great man!!! What an awesome experience you had, and a great story! Thanks so much for putting that together! Great narrative with em too! Looking forward to your Gallery pics! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2008, 06:40:17 AM »

Master link broke on the chain

so no cracked case as you feared?

They are tough as hell once you replace the doohicky...did mine this past spring.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2008, 07:26:42 AM »

$28 a rack o beer, crickey! 

Thanks for posting Dick...

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »

Jock,

Looks like you had a great ride!  So why the Kawasaki and not the SEEG for a trip like this?
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »

Jock,

Great pics and story, thanks so much for sharing them with us.  It truly looks and sounds like you had a once in a lifetime experience.

Later,
Ghost

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2008, 03:07:42 PM »

Incredible pictures Jock.  Thanks so much for sharing this life experience with the rest of us.

Craig

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »

Holy crap Jock! That was great man!!! What an awesome experience you had, and a great story! Thanks so much for putting that together! Great narrative with em too! Looking forward to your Gallery pics! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

I am going to have to conduct some mods to the photos first due to size of each file.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »

so no cracked case as you feared?

They are tough as hell once you replace the doohicky...did mine this past spring.

Good news...no cracked case...doohicky replaced one week after I brought the bike - 1st mod!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2008, 03:51:07 PM »

$28 a rack o beer, crickey! 

Thanks for posting Dick...

U bet...most package shops were a hotels too!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2008, 03:53:01 PM »

Jock,

Looks like you had a great ride!  So why the Kawasaki and not the SEEG for a trip like this?

Several...

larger gas tank
road terrain
no worries regarding damaging the bike
different challenge

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »

Now it was time to prepare to enter into Canada and challenge their terrain.  After entering into the Port of Roosvile we headed towards Calgary, Alberta.  Arriving late into the night, as was the case on many days, we headed next door to “The Pub”.  A great steak house and full of beautiful ladies…DAMN!  This is were I learned I could live sober in Canada…a twelve pack of beer was $28!

Ok, are bike thefts so bad in this area that they really have to chain them together in the parking lot outside a pub?  Sorry, but it just kind of jumped out at me!
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2008, 07:56:07 PM »

Jock,
Wow!  Great pics.  I think I would have died on the spot if a buffalo walked out in front of me.  Very cool pics.  It looks like a once in a lifetime event that we all would hope to have the opportunity to take at some point in our lives.  How many times did you reach for your phone to say, "Honey, you won't believe this...?"  So how did riding the Kawasaki that many miles compare to the SEEG from GA to CA?  Harder on the back? 
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »

Jock very nice pics. What a great trip. It looks like you had a very good time.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2008, 11:01:45 PM »

Ok, are bike thefts so bad in this area that they really have to chain them together in the parking lot outside a pub?  Sorry, but it just kind of jumped out at me!

Good eye...I do not know the answer to this question but the bikes where local and we did not lock ours!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2008, 11:09:11 PM »

Jock,
Wow!  Great pics.  I think I would have died on the spot if a buffalo walked out in front of me.  Very cool pics.  It looks like a once in a lifetime event that we all would hope to have the opportunity to take at some point in our lives.  How many times did you reach for your phone to say, "Honey, you won't believe this...?"  So how did riding the Kawasaki that many miles compare to the SEEG from GA to CA?  Harder on the back? 

Buffalo where all over the place...herds at that...no one really got a good shoot but there were over 30 over them in one heard...you could not stop at all of them otherwise you would never make it there...

I trust everyone can make this trip at some point in their life...Part of my "bucket list"

As to the calls to Savannah...I think I called there five times...which is typical for me...not much in this area.

Back was great...you saw the set up...good back rest...while I did not have wind protection I am a custom to this as I never rode with a windshield prior to the B&B and that's the only one.

All good and keep a positive mental attitude!  Do it again tomorrow let's go!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2008, 11:10:13 PM »

Jock very nice pics. What a great trip. It looks like you had a very good time.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

We did...thanks!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:21 PM »

This one is for all of the Fire Fighters on the site

:2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:31:51 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »

Very cool indeed.

MV 2013

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2008, 01:57:50 PM »

really nice report. :2vrolijk_21:

one day. :huepfenjump3:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2008, 02:20:27 PM »

great pics, i hope i can go there 2 one day, what an experience! thanks for posting jock

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2008, 08:05:47 PM »

great pics, i hope i can go there 2 one day, what an experience! thanks for posting jock

ice...you come here and I would like to go there...

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2008, 11:32:11 PM »

You had the perfect bike for that ride. I was in Alsaka last June and saw a lot of dual sport bikes touring there. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures! 

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »

What an absolutely fascinating trip.  I'll put that on the wish list and see what eventually happens.  BTW, what time of year did you make the trip and how was the weather in Alaska?  It looked cold and wet.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2008, 08:58:53 AM »

Jock - A fantastic trip!  Great pics, great reports, and you had a great adventure! 

Some riding buddies & I are discussing an Alaska trip next year or the next & due to time restraints may decide to ship the bikes to Anchorage & ride back.   

Glad you made the trip & your traveling from the Georgia coast to Alaska & back is a true accomplishment to be proud of!

Mike
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2008, 08:50:53 PM »

BTW, what time of year did you make the trip and how was the weather in Alaska?  It looked cold and wet.

ox666,

In August...not too cold...in the 60's...the wet was in the higher elevations...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2008, 08:54:59 PM »

Some riding buddies & I are discussing an Alaska trip next year or the next & due to time restraints may decide to ship the bikes to Anchorage & ride back.   

Mike,

I highly recommend it in one way or another...My friend has made this journey on several occasions and has made it to the Arctic Circle and beyond...that's a real accomplishment and I hope to duplicate in my life.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2008, 09:03:24 PM »

Mike,

I highly recommend it in one way or another...My friend has made this journey on several occasions and has made it to the Arctic Circle and beyond...that's a real accomplishment and I hope to duplicate in my life.

Jock,

It is a true adventure.  None of us have the right bike for the Arctic Circle leg.  Have looked into renting bikes while there but may just stick to the paved roads for the first ride there.

Thanks for posting.  Seeing rides like yours helps in planning & thinking about what lies ahead.

Mike

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2008, 09:23:51 PM »

Jock,

Have looked into renting bikes while there

That is what he did..KLR...went great!  Too many thoughts to post...the trip he took now cost 5k all inclusive for 2 weeks..

If you want the web site for the trip I will get it....

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2008, 10:39:30 PM »

That is what he did..KLR...went great!  Too many thoughts to post...the trip he took now cost 5k all inclusive for 2 weeks..

If you want the web site for the trip I will get it....

Would much appreciate the website.  Not that many make the trip from what I have heard.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »

I will place a call into him and get the site and post it here...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »

Here is the web address...

www.akrider.com/

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2008, 12:16:34 AM »

Wow, what an experience! It seems that there is never enough time to experience all that life has to offer, glad to hear that you had a great time. Thanks for all of the pictures.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2008, 07:27:10 AM »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »

Lost my hard drive and all of my pics a few weeks ago...thank GOD for the site and the ones I posted...I need to invest into an external hard drive...

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

MV 2013

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2009, 10:43:41 AM »

Duane that link is to an external hard drive. :confused5:

Can't pull nothin over you - you ole soothsayer you................................

Jock said

Lost my hard drive and all of my pics a few weeks ago...thank GOD for the site and the ones I posted...I need to invest into an external hard drive...

MV 2013

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2009, 10:50:35 AM »

Can't pull nothin over you - you ole soothsayer you................................

Jock said

Ahhhh, gotcha. :idea2: :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2009, 10:56:57 AM »

Yeh, that one is a step above the normal variety, e.g. claiming fire and water proof. I might even invest in one (they just came out on the Costco site).

MV 2013

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2009, 02:04:42 PM »

Yeh, that one is a step above the normal variety, e.g. claiming fire and water proof. I might even invest in one (they just came out on the Costco site).

Thanks...I'll check it out...

Sean M Cary

« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2009, 07:14:44 PM »

Thanks...I'll check it out...

Carbonite.com

saved my butt last year...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »

Carbonite.com

saved my butt last year...

Now you can cookin'...that's what I need...AUTOMATIC!

Sean M Cary

« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2009, 07:46:48 PM »

Now you can cookin'...that's what I need...AUTOMATIC!

if you go that route, let me know - get a freebe for referring you (you need my e-mail addy)

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Page created in 0.657 seconds with 22 queries.