Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WI - Mindoro Cut  (Read 2443 times)

mfgreen

WI - Mindoro Cut
« on: August 10, 2004, 10:08:13 PM »

This is the northern part of La Crosse County. I have left off several county roads to clean things up a bit, but also because many of those roads are rather straight and wouldn't really offer that great of a ride experience. When Spring comes and I am running around this area I will add roads. There is one road I didn't add that I have seen several cruisers heading to. County B coming out of West Salem runs parallel with I-90 to Rockland. The best road of this map is HWY 108, also known as the Mindoro Cut. Great motorcycle road, lots of fun, but it can surprise you so take it slow the first couple of times.

http://www.wisconsinmotorcycling.com/maps/images/mindoro-cut.gif

Route
If you want to mix things up a bit you can head out 33 from La Crosse, to 162 at Middle Ridge then take 162 north to Bangor. Follow it through Bangor and on to Hwy 16. Then West to Hwy 108 outside of West Salem. Take 108 North to either D in Mindoro or T. From there you can choose your route back to La Crosse. I-90 has exits and on ramps in La Crosse, Onalaska, West Salem, Bangor and I think there is one in Rockland. Cautions
As I mentioned earlier, be careful on the smaller roads. Once again there is often plenty of gravel and tar snakes on the back roads. Hwy 108 can have a lot of biker traffic on it, most of the people can't ride and try to make up for it with stunting and driving like idiots so be careful of those morons. There are also plenty of twits racing cars down these roads. I have run into at least 2 on 162 alone that had to have been doing 100 MPH+ coming the other direction. If they are cutting corners, you are in trouble.

Law Enforcement
La Crosse County has plenty of Officers. You may run into them often. Especially on the Mindoro Cut. Its a known Biker road and plenty of squids go there to stunt or race. A few of the County Officers are alright, but some are jerks, just give them some respect and you'll be fine. They love to do speeding stings in the area so watch your speed or at least watch for patrol cars.

Fuel and rest stops
Fuel is available in La Crosse, Onalaska, West Salem, Holmen and Bangor. I think Mindoro also has a Gas Station although they may have closed. There are some parks scattered around the area. West Salem has Veterans Memorial Park and a Camping area around Lake Neshonic. Holmen has a couple of Parks as well. And of Course several are located in La Crosse & Onalaska.  

Places to Eat
North Side La Crosse and Onalaska have the typical fast food joints. Other choices include Marges in La Crosse, try the Unks Mess, and get on the Wall of shame for finishing it, if you can. Also some finer dining scattered around La Crosse and Onalaska. Holmen has some Fast food joints and a couple of restaurants I havn't tried. West Salem has Features in the bowling alley, a restaurant downtown that is great and another called Hunters in a gas station off I-90.

Things To See
La Crosse is a great City and has really been growing.

Alternate Roads
35 North will take you to Trempealeau, 16 East will take you to Sparta and I-90 will as well. 53 North will take you to Galesville. 35 south will take you to Stoddard. 14/61/16 west will take you to LaCrescent and Minnesota.

Riding Style
Most of the roads I have on this map are fun roads to travel. There are plenty of corners to keep you interested. Watch for deer and farm animals. Farmers will also be found driving down the middle of the roads be careful passing them. If its dark out, stay off the backroads, you are only pressing your luck.  Emergency Numbers
All emergencies 911 Of course.
La Crosse Police, 608-785-5952
La Crosse Cnty Police, 608-785-5942
Information Numbers
La Crosse Weather dial 608-782-4500 and then 1100
Bike Repairs & Supplies
All in La Crosse:
Steiger Kawasaki Suzuki KTM 608-788-4514
Two Brothers Honda 608-781-3360
R&J Motorsports (Yamaha) 608-785-1077
La Crosse Harley Davidson 608-783-6112

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 23 queries.