Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Tour-Pak LEDs and Turn Signals  (Read 11176 times)

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member
  • formerly known as "UpChuck82"

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
Tour-Pak LEDs and Turn Signals
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:26:44 PM »

I've searched many threads, found some close answers and some from 2006, so I appologize in advance if this has been done already...but  ;) :nixweiss: :apple:

I'm looking to make the tour-pak run/brake lights also work as turn signals, and maybe even change them out to LEDs w/ smoked lenses as well.  I'm adding the HD LED Chrome Tail light w/ smoked lens to match the smoked turn signals.  Then adding the smoked light bar under the air-wing tour-pak luggage rack.  I could also go with the Side marker LEDs in smoked to make 'em all match up.  Does anyone have pics of an all smoked/LED conversion on the Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon (I saw one with the silver that looked awesome)? :2vrolijk_21:

The question is how to make the tour-pak lights work as turn signals?  Has anyone used the wiring adapter from Ride Time Tech.? http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/qc_trailer_adapter.htm

along with their LED tour-pak Tail Lights?  http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/tp_tail_lights.htm

These are appealing to me in that you can wire them (see instructions link below) to have the outside third of the LEDs keep flashing as turn signals even when you are braking, and the inner 2/3 of the LEDS light up for the brakes
     http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/pdf_files/RTU-1_Ultra_Light_Install.pdf

Do i still need the HD run/brake/turn module HD kit 69461-06 without the red lenses?

The biggest issue to me is NOT damaging the painted trim around the lights when getting the OEM red lens off.  I saw a thread where someone replaced lenses to smoked but did it when dealer was replacing the trim due to delivery inspection rejection.  I repeat, I do NOT want paint issues caused by me  :'( :'( .  I also do not have the bike yet so I can't look at it to see what I'm getting into.

My reason for this project is being seen.  I'm coming off an '07 Ultra where the turn signals were spaced at least 6" wider and a little bigger.  When in traffic or being followed, I'll usually throw up a hand signal to help get their attention or instruct my passenger to do so if we have the headsets on.  I saw someone do this prior to my getting back into riding and 1st of all it got MY attention and 2nd it stuck with me as a smart thing to do.

Any help/advice/options are much appreciated!  ::) ::) :-*
2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
Arlen Ness Big Sucker (Chrome Backplate) w/ KN Filter
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

ultra96rider

Re: Tour-Pak LEDs and Turn Signals
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:19:57 PM »

I just installed the Flash R Tour Pak side Lighting conversion kit from Ride Time and am very satisfied with the results and simplicity of installation. The adapter plug unit under the seat is a great option for accessory installation.

Keith from Ride Time was great to work with. If one were to install the HD lighted passenger floor board units, this simple kit could be used to convert to turn signal as well as running light.

I don't have experience with the other options you asked about however.

Great products.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:53:50 PM »

I may have been one of the 1st to do the Ridetime tourpac conversion. In fact thats my bike on the right on his site. You don't need anything but their kit to control the lights. And you'll need your wifes hair drier to remove the lens. You don't go near the paint at all. As for the smoked lens. Well if you want to be seen, don't go there. I took mine off after 1 day. Had two different guys pull up next to me to say my tourpac lights were not working. Only to pull up again to tell me they were working and it was the sun washing them out (late afternoon, sun was behind me)
 They do look cool though.
Heres a picture I took while making the swap back to the red lens. Can you tell which one is the smoked lens?
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:11:15 PM »

I may have been one of the 1st to do the Ridetime tourpac conversion. In fact thats my bike on the right on his site. You don't need anything but their kit to control the lights. And you'll need your wifes hair drier to remove the lens. You don't go near the paint at all. As for the smoked lens. Well if you want to be seen, don't go there. I took mine off after 1 day. Had two different guys pull up next to me to say my tourpac lights were not working. Only to pull up again to tell me they were working and it was the sun washing them out (late afternoon, sun was behind me)
 They do look cool though.
Heres a picture I took while making the swap back to the red lens. Can you tell which one is the smoked lens?

I'd have to guess that the right one is the smoked lens, but the right side's light looks bigger than the left one.  Is this before both LEDs were installed? :nixweiss:  :confused5:   What light bar is that atop the tour-pak?  It looks pretty bright and looks like it's mounted up near the seat back (read no luggage rack?).

I appreciate your input.  From your pic, I think you have the black plastic/rubber trim around the tour-pak lights.  As you can see from the picture of my bike below, the trim is painted to match the bike and is right up next to the lenses (as far as I can tell, as I don't have the bike yet).

It's why I'm concerned about dinging the paint up getting the lens off.  Did you have do pry it out, or push it out with something from the inside of the removed light socket's hole?  Depending on replacement lens costs, I may just get a set and then maybe dremel cut the OEM lenses in sections so they can be removed in pieces with less stress on the paint and lens to avoid paint damage...could be money well spent and a headache avoided.  :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

Did you wire them to work as turn signals also?  If so, how did that go?  And how do you like it?

TIA...and ride safe!
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:15:55 PM »

I just installed the Flash R Tour Pak side Lighting conversion kit from Ride Time and am very satisfied with the results and simplicity of installation. The adapter plug unit under the seat is a great option for accessory installation.

Keith from Ride Time was great to work with. If one were to install the HD lighted passenger floor board units, this simple kit could be used to convert to turn signal as well as running light.

I don't have experience with the other options you asked about however.

Great products.

Thanks for the input.  If I go with Ridetime stuff, I may do the Flash R for added side visibilty.  You didn't have to tap any factory wires, correct?  Just plug the adapter in between the factory connection, then use the wires attached to their adapter to run to lights?  Or just the adapter?  :confused5: :nixweiss:

TIA...and ride safe!
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:28:44 PM »

You can take the stock bulb out and while heating the outside of the lens, push it out from the inside. I think they even supply the wood dowel in the kit.
 The LEDs were already in when I took the pic. And your right. The right side was the smoked lens. Don't know why the difference in size shows up in the picture.
 Yes I have the turn signal. Wasn't a bad job. Just have to run new wires down to the plug under the seat.
 Got that light bar at a swap meet at Lk George a few years ago. Never saw one like it again.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 08:12:31 AM »

I'd have to guess that the right one is the smoked lens, but the right side's light looks bigger than the left one.  Is this before both LEDs were installed? :nixweiss:  :confused5:   What light bar is that atop the tour-pak?  It looks pretty bright and looks like it's mounted up near the seat back (read no luggage rack?).

I appreciate your input.  From your pic, I think you have the black plastic/rubber trim around the tour-pak lights.  As you can see from the picture of my bike below, the trim is painted to match the bike and is right up next to the lenses (as far as I can tell, as I don't have the bike yet).

It's why I'm concerned about dinging the paint up getting the lens off.  Did you have do pry it out, or push it out with something from the inside of the removed light socket's hole?  Depending on replacement lens costs, I may just get a set and then maybe dremel cut the OEM lenses in sections so they can be removed in pieces with less stress on the paint and lens to avoid paint damage...could be money well spent and a headache avoided.  :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

Did you wire them to work as turn signals also?  If so, how did that go?  And how do you like it?

TIA...and ride safe!

I have the same bike as you, same color, etc.  I just put Ride Time's replacement LED taillamp on, I have the wiring kit here for the tourpack side lights to make those into turn signals, and have the tourpack LED's that also function as turn signals on order...but they are on backorder right now.  If you look on their website and click on installation instructions, they show real nice photos that should make you feel better about removing the lenses.  I have no worries about the paint, as the lenses are held in by a non-hardening material and they are pushed out from behind...although you do work with the tabs on the lenses from the outside.  They are almost plug and play, except you have to run 2 wires from each up to the wiring harness under the seat and tap into those wires on the harness.  I'm looking forward to getting them all on there.  I, personally, wouldn't go with the smoked lenses either.  The multiple LED bulbs are clear or white (whatever they are considered) and I don't see how you are going to end up with red turn signals/running light/brake lights that way.  I opted to leave the original turn signals amber, since making those into running lamps, which requires them being red, is technically against DOT specs.  They say that our turn signals are too close to the taillamp to make all 3 lights red.  So I will have my stock amber turn signals, turn signals on the back of the tourpack in LED, turn signals on the side of the tourpack, an LED taillamp, and the LED lamp in the luggage rack.  I really think that if someone is going to see you, that should be enough for them to take notice.  One thing nice about Ride Time Technology is their prices are very low compared to anything else out there.

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »

I have the same bike as you, same color, etc.  I just put Ride Time's replacement LED taillamp on, I have the wiring kit here for the tourpack side lights to make those into turn signals, and have the tourpack LED's that also function as turn signals on order...but they are on backorder right now.  If you look on their website and click on installation instructions, they show real nice photos that should make you feel better about removing the lenses.  I have no worries about the paint, as the lenses are held in by a non-hardening material and they are pushed out from behind...although you do work with the tabs on the lenses from the outside.  They are almost plug and play, except you have to run 2 wires from each up to the wiring harness under the seat and tap into those wires on the harness.  I'm looking forward to getting them all on there.  I, personally, wouldn't go with the smoked lenses either.  The multiple LED bulbs are clear or white (whatever they are considered) and I don't see how you are going to end up with red turn signals/running light/brake lights that way.  I opted to leave the original turn signals amber, since making those into running lamps, which requires them being red, is technically against DOT specs.  They say that our turn signals are too close to the taillamp to make all 3 lights red.  So I will have my stock amber turn signals, turn signals on the back of the tourpack in LED, turn signals on the side of the tourpack, an LED taillamp, and the LED lamp in the luggage rack.  I really think that if someone is going to see you, that should be enough for them to take notice.  One thing nice about Ride Time Technology is their prices are very low compared to anything else out there.

1abastarsmda

Looking at 05Ultra's pics, I'd say the LEDs from ride time must be red, cause he has a smoked lens on the right side.

Having said that, the more I've thought about it, and researched and gotten opinions, I'm leaning toward leaving the red lenses over the tour-pak back lights after I go with LEDs.  While I think the smoked would look cool, the red lenses would not only help with better visibility (IMHO), I think the red will look best with our red scoots.

About getting the lenses off, it's those tabs I'm worried about with the paint.  I've seen replacement red lenses for under $25, so I may order a set (return if not needed) to have on hand in case it gets dicey with the paint and I decide to just dremel cut them in pieces to get them out easier/safer.

I'd be interested to hear how your install goes once the parts are in, with pics of course.  Did they say how long they're on backorder?

Also, do you/anyone know if the Stock CVO tour-pak side marker lights are already LEDs? :confused5: :nixweiss:
I, too am planning on using ride time's kit to turn the side markers into turn signals, but want them bright as well.

I am also going to the leave bullet rear turn signals in amber, but may add amber LED bulbs from Custom Dynamics to brighten them up too.
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »

1abastarsmda

Looking at 05Ultra's pics, I'd say the LEDs from ride time must be red, cause he has a smoked lens on the right side.  From the photo on their site (posted below) the lights are not colored.

Having said that, the more I've thought about it, and researched and gotten opinions, I'm leaning toward leaving the red lenses over the tour-pak back lights after I go with LEDs.  While I think the smoked would look cool, the red lenses would not only help with better visibility (IMHO), I think the red will look best with our red scoots.  I agree on the visibility and maybe on the look.

About getting the lenses off, it's those tabs I'm worried about with the paint.  I've seen replacement red lenses for under $25, so I may order a set (return if not needed) to have on hand in case it gets dicey with the paint and I decide to just dremel cut them in pieces to get them out easier/safer.  I may let the dealer do mine for a few reasons.  If they screw it up, they have to fix it.  Also, since I showed these to them, they have already sold a few more sets and they are planning on stocking them.  They said they just charge me a few bucks to put them in so they can learn how to put them in and be prepared for future installations.  Third, even though nothing looks to difficult about installing them, I know they will make the splicing look a lot prettier than I would.  Trust me on that from the last splicing in I did.  It wasn't pretty, but it worked fine.  The parts man told me that if they break the lenses, replacements only cost them about $10.

I'd be interested to hear how your install goes once the parts are in, with pics of course.  Did they say how long they're on backorder?  Backordered for 4 weeks (that was almost 2 weeks ago)

Also, do you/anyone know if the Stock CVO tour-pak side marker lights are already LEDs? :confused5: :nixweiss:
I, too am planning on using ride time's kit to turn the side markers into turn signals, but want them bright as well.  One of the other people that ordered these, after my initial order, already installed the side tour pack lights.  The guy in parts said they were very nice because when you put the turn signal on, they go completely on-off, on-off, rather than from on to brighter to dimmer to brighter again.  He said it makes the turn signal much more visible because of the greater contrast, and then when the turn signal is off, they are back normal running lights.  I'm assuming that it has something to do with those not being dual-intensity bulbs, but I see the point where that would make them more visible.

I am also going to the leave bullet rear turn signals in amber, but may add amber LED bulbs from Custom Dynamics to brighten them up too.  I thought about doing the same with the amber turn signals, but I'm going to do that last, after I've had a chance to see everything else working together.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:55:19 PM »

They are clear but burn red. I tried the clear lens also to see if I liked them. Didn't. Another thing is it looks like they added more LEDs from when I got mine. I added some reflective tape between the rows to keep the green from showing thru the clear lenses.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »

They are clear but burn red. I tried the clear lens also to see if I liked them. Didn't. Another thing is it looks like they added more LEDs from when I got mine. I added some reflective tape between the rows to keep the green from showing thru the clear lenses.

They did increase the number of LED bulbs.  I assume that the green is not a problem with red lenses.  It doesn't look like there's enough room anymore to add reflective tape in between.

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »

Yeah, it looks like they went from 59 to 88 LEDs on each side as professed on their site.  I'm glad to hear they burn red.  I'm planning on getting the Version 1 so I can play with wiring them several ways.  I like the idea of having the outside 1/3 of the lights blink as signals, even after you put the brakes on (as stated in their install instructions).  There are other wiring options as well.  That way a driver behind doesn't see the upper signal go off when you hit the brakes (not the amber below which may be blocked by their hood if they're close) and think you changed your mind about turning.  The safer the better in my mind.

I'm pretty certain that if your get their Quick-Connect Accessory and Trailer Wiring Adapter
($29.95) (below) that you don't have to splice into factory wires, as it goes between the plug under the seat and provides leads to wire the LEDs with.  Worth it to me not to mess with factory wires, and could be removed later in entirety if needed for possible warranty issues.
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 08:48:04 PM »

I removed the red lenses last week form the Ultra light bar as part of a paint project that includes painting the light bar to match the tour pak.  You are wise to be concerned about damaging the paint on your already painted light bar, especially if you put the screwdriver or pick tool in the location shown at the ridetimetechnology instructions.  Also, RTT's instructions should say to use the hair dryer to heat up the adhesive to ease removal, rather than noting only that some customers have mentioned it as being helpful.

A better approach IMO is to heat the outer edges of the lens repeatedly while pressing the dowel (or other similar tool) at or near the corner of the lens to loose the corner and side which have no tabs.  The corner of the lens will then come free and allow you to work from that corner and along the outer top edge of the lens towards the center freeing the lens from each tab as you go around the lens.

Good luck with your project.

Lkn4advtr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »

I have an 08 casper SEUC and I was wanting to make the tail lights work as stop and running lights as well as the lights on the tour pac. I know that harley sells a plug in adapter for the tail lights to do this but I wanted to make the lights on the tourpac to act simmilarly. I want the corner lights to work as a stop, turn and running light an I want the long side lights to work as a turn and running lights. Does anyone know if this is possible w/o cutting into the harness?
'Rollin down the highway, Lookin for adventure"

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 07:54:42 PM »

Short answer...Go to http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/tpupgrades.htm
Easiest way...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 21 queries.