Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, is anyone out there a nut case like me?  (Read 2500 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
So, is anyone out there a nut case like me?
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:26:33 AM »

My wife got me a stereo bluetooth headset for Christmas (IMC Camos BT-200), which has been pretty much rendered unnecessary since getting the '09 SEUC.  The downside of the stock wired system is that I can't use my bluetooth cell phone with it.  I can pair my phone with my Zumo, which I can HEAR through the Aux port, but the helmet mike is not connected in any way to the phone, so I can't speak on the phone.

Soooo, I wired my helmet with the bluetooth headset as well.  Now I have two sets of helmet speakers and two mikes.  One that works with the audio system, and one that talks to my cell phone.  The mikes are a pain in the butt when the helmet is off of my head (they get in the way),  but while riding, I don't notice them.  The biggest negative is that above 40MPH, people that I am talking to can't hear me above 40 or 50 MPH, unless I scream into the mike - if at all.  I also can't hear them too well, and I have the Camos volume all the way up (the audio system volume control has no effect).

I realize that I'm obsessing way too much about something that I don't really need, but has anyone found a better way to use a bluetooth phone on a Harley?

Ed

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!

lookmanobrains

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2001 SERG
    • CVO3: 1998 Anniversary Road King
Re: So, is anyone out there a nut case like me?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »

The funny thing about the whole Bluetooth dilemma is that the most retro motorcycle company on the planet (Harley Davidson) solved it better than anybody...
Take it from someone who has been around the proverbial block a few times on the whole Bluetooth subject. I have had 2 versions of the Scala rider Motorola's weak attempt at a motorcycle Bluetooth headset, the Cellular Line (AKA interphone) Bluetooth headset and I just bought a Nolan N103 with the N-Com system for use with my Zumo on my R1200GS.
I have had mine on my 08 SEUC since September of 07 and it just works. The HD kit connects to the factory stereo, to connect to the system you wear whatever corded headset you would normally wear. Once installed you will have an additional choice in the radio menu labeled phone. You would simply select it like you would am, FM or any other function of the radio. No matter what your listening to radio, CD, XM, AUX… when you receive a phone call the system automatically mutes the current function, displays the caller ID on your radio screen and awaits your command to answer. Once answered both the rider and passenger can participate in the phone conversation to initiate a phone call select phone on the radio menu, then you can either voice dial one of 25 names you have stored in the bikes memory or by number. I've use several different voice dialing engines and the HD system is on par with the best (be sure you have a quality headset mike). There’s one other way to dial, the HD system will import the first 200 names from my blackberry's phone book (this happens automatically when the phone pairs) you can then scroll through them, select and call from there.
Just like the intercom CB and radio the phone has its own volume settings for the rider and BSP. There is no battery to charge and because it runs Thur the factory radio the volume is more than enough, even for a hearing impaired person like me.

If you can get your hands on one of these kits it's the way to go… I just did a 50CC from Jacksonville to San Diego almost the entire way I was able to listen to mp3’s played on my Zumo 550 through the aux jack and talk on the phone at will.
Unfortunately it's my understanding that HD has stopped selling this kit. If you can find one used or if all the inmates here create enough of a ruckus maybe they will bring it back. It works so well I hesitate to upgrade my bike because I may lose this with the old bike.

I would call every dealer in the country to try to find one before I spent my money on any other system.
Good luck
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:35:31 PM by mdublasio@aol.com »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »

I have had both 2 versions of the Scala rider Motorola’s weak attempt at a motorcycle Bluetooth headset,

That's a strong statement.

I have a pair of the Scala's and I think they work just fine. I do use a full face with though. I have used the bluetooth for the phone and have never had anyone even know I was on the bike.
The intercom feature works great and as advertised.

I would call every dealer in the country to try to find one before I wasted my money on any other system.
Good luck

What about the rest of the world that do not own Ultra's  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

lookmanobrains

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2001 SERG
    • CVO3: 1998 Anniversary Road King
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »

I'll agree the Scala Rider was OK. My biggest problem with the Scala Rider was the lack of volume... Probably not a big deal if your hearing is average to excellent...my hearing however is average to fair... Not to mention that the none of the other stand alone bluetooth headsets that I tried would intigrate with the factory radio.

Today I used my Blackberry with my Zumo and Nolan N-Com kit. The mono music signal carried a great deal of static and the phone would regularly disconnect when I received an incoming call. I would then have to disconnect the the phone from the Zumo and reconnect and return the phone call.  I will work on trouble shooting this tomorrow to see if the problem lies with the Zumo, the Blackberry, or the N-com.  During the few calls that I could connect I received many complaints that I could not be heard well. This surprised me especially considering I was using a full face helmet.

Even if the other stand alone Bluetooth headsets are found to be acceptable I just think the HD kit is far superior product both in the feature and function departments.

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »

Motorola razor V-3
Zumo 550
Noland N-Com 103 with aux input added...helmet is 3/4 face

I have talked to people at over Interstate speeds and it is crystal clear

the aux input allows a corded connection to a mp3 or Ipod or some other form of music. This cord allows the input to be in stereo. The Zumo can not transmit bluetooth in stereo

JM corp made a dongle that was to make the zumo transmit in a digitally formed [i guess that is the correct wording] stereo form. It is like watching a movie in make believe surround sound.

Both the Nolan and Scala systems are very good ones for the monies. I chose the Nolan because I did not want  the module to hang on the outside of the helmet.

With todays technology, by the time I finish typing this, someone has come up with something better.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:45:24 AM »

and the phone would regularly disconnect when I received an incoming call. I would then have to disconnect the the phone from the Zumo and reconnect and return the phone call.  I will work on trouble shooting this tomorrow to see if the problem lies with the Zumo, the Blackberry, or the N-com.  During the few calls that I could connect I received many complaints that I could not be heard well. This surprised me especially considering I was using a full face helmet.

Exactly the same problem I was having.
I will wait till technology catches up.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 09:47:23 AM »

With todays technology, by the time I finish typing this, someone has come up with something better.

That's what I'm waiting for!
Maybe by the end of the summer.

unless,,,,,,there is another option.

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

hogasm

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »

That's what I'm waiting for!
Maybe by the end of the summer.

unless,,,,,,there is another option.

Seemed like every vendor I talked to in Daytona said.....we are working on that and it should be out soon

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.