Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Lifters Failed at 24k miles  (Read 11164 times)

mark

Re: Lifters Failed at 24k miles
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »

I can believe that anyone on this board has not changed out their lifters.  I changed mine on my 2008 SERK at about 7K miles in order to avoid potential troubles.  why do we keep hearing about members who seem to think they can take the risk and wait for the lifter to fail before replacing.  I just don't get it.

If you start replacing all the things that have gone wrong with the CVO 110, you'd never get the bike out of the shop (lifters, valves, valve seats, compensator, wheel weights, stator, iPod connectors, iPod, radio units, Dunlop tires, seat stitching, chrome, radiator, crankshaft, floating rotors, clutch, flaking engine power coating, etc.  I'm sure I forgot some.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 02:10:06 AM »

Does anybody know what is causing this lifter issue.  Is it too much pressure from the springs. Or could it be caused by too much heat in the heads or a combination of the two. I thought I would ask.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 08:41:12 AM »

I think its fair to say not one component is the "cause". It is the whole assembly that is wreaking havoc on the lifters. The lifters just act as the fuse that blows.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »

2011 at 22,000 miles.

Picture of almost failed lifter.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 09:38:49 AM »

What that same lifter was doing to the cam.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »

Does anybody know what is causing this lifter issue.  Is it too much pressure from the springs. Or could it be caused by too much heat in the heads or a combination of the two. I thought I would ask.

I'm willing to bet it is mostly a result of cost cutting by the wizards in Milwaukee, combined with a severe lack of engineering talent.

Cheap parts, poorly matched in a system, rarely result in great outcomes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »

Let's assume I want to replace my lifters on my '09 SERG with 13k miles.

So I know that if don't want to pull the tank and rocker boxes, I can just snip the push rods and replace them with adjustable ones from many different manufacturers.

As long as I'm in the general area I swap out for maybe a 54 cam at the same time.

Do I "need" to do anything else other than swap cams, or do I "need" to do inner bearings etc as well?

I've posted on other threads about the sewing machine rattles from around 2200 up through around 3500 and most have said that new lifters and a new cam will probably lessen the noise considerably.

So can I "just" swap out the cam and lifters with new push rods?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 11:50:49 AM »

Yes on the cam bearings. You're in there and they're cheap anyway.

Hmmmmm, pull the heads and get them ported? It's just money ;D

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »

If it were mine I would replace the inner cam bearings with the Timken full compliment replacements

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 11:55:20 AM »

So I know that if don't want to pull the tank and rocker boxes, I can just snip the push rods and replace them with adjustable ones from many different manufacturers.  Yes...

As long as I'm in the general area I swap out for maybe a 54 cam at the same time.  You could, but it's a lot more work than just replacing lifters.  You would have to remove the exhaust and take the cam chest apart, as well as need specialty tools to replace cams.  Just replacing lifters can be easily done without entering the cam chest. 

Do I "need" to do anything else other than swap cams, or do I "need" to do inner bearings etc as well?  If you are replacing the cams, it would be foolish to not also upgrade the inner cam bearings to full compliment inner bearings.  They are relatively cheap, the process is simple and you're already there...

I've posted on other threads about the sewing machine rattles from around 2200 up through around 3500 and most have said that new lifters and a new cam will probably lessen the noise considerably.  I wouldn't count on that happening... I don't think the rattle you are describing is solely related to lifters and cam choice.

So can I "just" swap out the cam and lifters with new push rods?  Sure...  A long afternoon with basic hand tools and a few specialty tools...

Thanks.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

CannonBall

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »

Might as well swap out the springs too...

Sounds look a good time to beef up the bottom end too..

Maybe 113"?

:)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »

So I know that if don't want to pull the tank and rocker boxes, I can just snip the push rods and replace them with adjustable ones from many different manufacturers.

As long as I'm in the general area I swap out for maybe a 54 cam at the same time

I've posted on other threads about the sewing machine rattles from around 2200 up through around 3500 and most have said that new lifters and a new cam will probably lessen the noise considerably.

So can I "just" swap out the cam and lifters with new push rods?

Thanks.

I would not just bolt in a 54. I tried it and had a significant tq/hp loss. I believe you need to change the head gaskets to bring the compression up to make it work right. I would just put a set of S&S lifters w/ adjustable push rods and call it a day.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:57:29 PM by harleyguynv »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »

I have have over 45,000 miles on my original S&S lifters. Still work fine. No not so funny noises! S&S 585 cam.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice.

It's just something I was thinking about doing this winter.

Have a great week while I'm stuck out here in beautiful Victorville CA doing a new line startup for a customer of ours...   :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 06:02:10 AM »

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice.

It's just something I was thinking about doing this winter.

Have a great week while I'm stuck out here in beautiful Victorville CA doing a new line startup for a customer of ours...   :(
Victorville? Haha! When I was in the Army we would fly into that dump and then bus to Fort Irwin.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.