Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metzler vs Dunlop  (Read 9066 times)

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
Metzler vs Dunlop
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:42:46 AM »

Just a quick question, I've been runnin Dunlop's on CVO SG and previous to that my fatboy but had a friend mention that he runs metzlers and swears it's a better ride. I thought I had heard before that the metz was a softer tire, so was a wondering can I get some opinions on ride differences and est mileage comparisons. I'm coming up on 15 K with the Dunlops and look to have some tread left before needing replacements. Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks.
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

Alremc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
Re: Metzler vs Dunlop
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »

I used to run only Metzs on my Wing because I got longer wear on them than the Dunlops but it seems lately, the Duns been producing longer wearing tires. 15K pretty decent for your tires. But if you want to pay the extra for the Metz, it's a good rubber...
Frank
2012 CVO Ultra Classic
Fullsac X-Pipe
Rhineharts 4 in Cans in black
TTS MasterTune

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »

I just replaced my Dunlop rear with a Metzler...  A friend claimed the same...better ride and wear...  I got only 150 miles on it so a little too soon to tell any significant difference...   Seat of the pants says it is a bit smoother, but it also feels a bit taller...  This may be placebo effect...  Anyway, I look forward to more testing and learning what others think...   
HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »

Generally speaking, Metzler handle a little better than the OLD Dunlops.  The new Dunlops on my '11 bike handle fine and will get better mileage.  A Metzler rear, depending on how you ride, will likely be worn out in 6-8K.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:15:40 PM »

15,000 miles out of a touring motorcycle seems great to me.  After my first set of Dunlops on the '09 SERG cupped badly, I got 17,000 m out of my second set  (D408F and D407R).  Had Metzler 880's on my '04 RG and never got more than 8,000 out of a rear....  No appreciable difference in handling.  Also check the load rating!  The Dunlops are bias ply v. the radial Metzlers.  Last time I checked the Dunlops had a significantly higher load rating. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »

Definitely the first and most important consideration should be the load rating.  I'm assuming your stock tire is a 180/55 B18 80H.  The only thing I see in the Metzler catalog in that size is a radial with a 74 load rating instead of the 80 load rating of the original.  That is a very significant difference.

Metzlers have traditionally been a softer compound tire that offered improved traction but faster wear.  I'm not aware of any major changes recently that would have reversed that, at least within the ME880 line.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »

I ran Metz on my low rider could get appox. 11 to 12,000 miles on rear, Then when they finally came out with the odd ball size thats on the front of my SERK i went with Metz again, I'm replacing the rear tomorrow with 8800 miles on it, I don't mind giving up the mileage that a Dunlop will get over the Metz, The Metz to me ride and handle far better than the Dunlops.

At 8800 miles there is still tread life left, I just feel better on new rubber.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »

Dunlops! 14,000 miles and still some room on them.

Just replaced them with another set. Paid $202.00 INSTALL, INCLUDING TAX!!!!

180/55 18. I think only Dunlop offer the same tire with the same load rating.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »

Kool thanks guys. Gives me food for thought.
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

jcd520

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »

I ran Metzler ME 880's for years on my old bike (flht) and they were very sticky, but wore much quicker. Also tire pressure is very critical on Metzlers , more so than other brands. I have had and seen some come apart from people running too low pressure to try and achieve a softer ride. Big mistake and very dangerous. Have a 2011 sesg now and love the dunlops that came on it and i think they are even stickier than the metzlers. I am sure they will wear longer as well. I changed my metzlers at 10 on the front and 7500 on the back , need it or not but usually they were  below the 50% mark . Tires are not something I take chances on -----ever!

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 05:16:07 PM »

I have run Metzlers for years and perfer them to the older Dunlops hands down. I agree with the consensus that about 8K on the back is pretty good and 12-15K on the front is good. As stated in a previous post air pressure in the Metzler is critical to performance and wear and the tire will self destruct if run under pressurized. To me they seem to be a bit smother, don't track as much on the rain grooved freeways and have a bit more traction due to the softer rubber. I have never tried the new Dunlops as they don't come in the correct size for my scooter so I have no opinion there. 

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »

Has anyone tried to find the exact OEM replacements for the Dunlop D408 and D407s that are stock on my 2011.5 SECU?

Whenever I search the Internet... no one but MoCo seems to have them, and they are quite the $$ maker apparently.

I've just priced some Metzeler ME 880 Marathons and found I can get them (front & rear) for $315 before shipping... which is still about $50 less than the D407 (rear) by itself.  From what I could find on the Internet anyway.

I really like the handling and grip that the stock tires offer... but wow, I can't keep buying new tires every year at MoCo prices.

It must be the Alaskan road system, because the most I could get out of my Wide-Glide was about 8,000mi a set.  I had opted to go with OEM on the first replacements, and had just put on some Metzelers before trading it in for the Ultra, so I never really got to feel the difference or see any mileage increase... traded with less than 400 miles on them.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »

I have to replace both front and back before Ribfest, How about Avons ? I have a 09 SERG..............................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »

Definitely the first and most important consideration should be the load rating.  I'm assuming your stock tire is a 180/55 B18 80H.  The only thing I see in the Metzler catalog in that size is a radial with a 74 load rating instead of the 80 load rating of the original.  That is a very significant difference.

Metzlers have traditionally been a softer compound tire that offered improved traction but faster wear.  I'm not aware of any major changes recently that would have reversed that, at least within the ME880 line.

Jerry

I guess the load ratings are completely different based on the tire sizes you need.  The ME880's that I found for my SECU both carry an 81 load rating.  Same as the load ratings for the D408/D407.    8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.